Playing outside is great for kids, but what’s better than bonding over a lively Wii game with your child when the weather is terrible or outdoor activities aren’t possible?
Nintendo Wii continues to shine as a treasure trove for kids and families. Its intuitive design encourages players to engage by moving their bodies, combining fun with physical activity.
And we’ve done our research to find the best Wii games for kids to keep them (and you) entertained and active.
- Great graphics and colors
- Plenty of levels to conquer
- New power-ups and abilities
- Four games included
- Allows for several players
- Suitable for any age
- Multiplayer mode
- Several characters
- Plenty of opportunities for casual competitions
- Wii wheel included
- Plenty of courses and levels
- Maximum of 11 people playing online
- Several songs
- Gets the kids up and moving
- Parents can create playlists
- Several people can play
- Lots of activities to engage in
- Compatible with different Wii consoles
- Multiple characters and vehicles
- Hidden track features
- Special all-star moves
- Action-packed game
- Plenty of to-do list for batman
- Allows player to play as villains
- Plenty of mysteries to solve
- It allows for two players
- With story mode and explore mode
- Plenty of activities
- Encourages physical motion
- Practice mode available
Review Methodology: At Mom Loves Best, we understand the importance of reliable, hands-on evaluations of the best Wii games for kids. Our expert team conducts thorough research, using a rigorous set of criteria to rank and review each game. We analyze elements like playability, age appropriateness, educational value, and entertainment factor. Our assessments are based on factual data and our professional experience. We measure each game’s performance and compare them to industry standards. This way, we help you make an informed decision, providing you with the most relevant facts and first-hand findings so you can choose the best game for your child’s needs.
The Best Kids Wii Games of 2023
Here are the top 15 Wii games for kids.
Sonic Colors Nintendo Wii
Best Sonic Wii Game
With the Sonic Colors game, your child gets to experience non-stop high-speed action, as they race through adrenaline-pumping tracks. The game is suitable for all ages.
The evil Dr. Eggman has concocted a new plan for world domination through his interstellar amusement park. He has captured an alien species called the Wisps and is busy harnessing their colorful energy.
This brings about new abilities, power-ups, and exotic stages which your child gets to race through.
As the player gets through the levels, they can unlock the arcade mode. This allows more than one player to join in. Users are praising this game, saying it’s one of the better Sonic releases.
- Great graphics and colors.
- Plenty of levels and stages to conquer.
- New power-ups and abilities.
- A hidden arcade mode for multiple players.
- Not the easiest for small children.
Nintendo Selects Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Collection
Super Mario All-Stars is a collection of four classic games, one of which is the Super Mario Bros. This is the most iconic game, featuring the Mushroom Kingdom and characters like Bowser, Toad Goombas and Koopas, Princess Peach, and Mario.
Players can pick which game to play. Each contains everything you’d expect, with different characters, power-ups, and abilities. The 16-bit graphics are the same quality as the SNES version, which true Mario fans will likely appreciate.
The game is suitable for any age. With more consoles, several people can join in on the fun.
- Four games included.
- Allows for several players.
- Great graphics.
- No new content — exactly as the original version.
New Super Mario Bros.
Best for Multiplayers
With this new Super Mario Bros game, your children get to navigate the mesmerizing worlds either alone or with friends. It’s good for family game night as it’s suitable for all ages — just ensure you’ve got enough controllers.
Wii has made this game even better. With the multiplayer mode, players can choose to save or sacrifice each other by picking other players up from danger or pushing them into it.
You have several characters to play with, including Mario, Luigi, and two playable toads. Throughout the game, members of the Mushroom Kingdom will make appearances, and players can hitch rides on the different Yoshi characters.
At the end of the game, a winner is announced based on who collected the most coins.
- Up to four players at a time.
- Several characters.
- Lots of levels.
- Plenty of opportunities for casual competitions.
- The game is the most fun when several people play.
Mario Kart Wii with Wii Wheel
Best Racing Game with Controller
Another Mario and friends game, this time, it’s a take on the classic Mario Kart. The game includes a Wii Wheel to make this experience a little better — if that’s possible. Your child can get into the action, turning the wheel around the corners, dodging opponents and obstacles.
Besides the Grand Prix, the player can choose to complete skill-based missions, unlocking more thrilling circuits. As they progress in the game, it becomes increasingly challenging.
Since this is Mario and friends, there’s room for more players to join the race. You can pick between open courses or close battles in smaller arenas. The game is suitable for all ages, but keep in mind that only one Wii Wheel is included.
- Wii Wheel included for more fun.
- Plenty of courses, levels, and arenas to play in.
- Allows for up to four players.
- Can be played with up to 11 people online.
- The Wii Wheel requires some time to get used to.
- Difficult to play with friends online — it requires special codes.
Just Dance: Disney Party
Fun with Disney
We hope your child is ready to move — Just Dance: Disney Party is the ultimate physical game for any Disney fan. There are up to 25 new choreographies and dances for everyone in the family.
This is what Wii games are all about — it gets the players onto the floor. It’s great for family night or sleepovers — you can play in teams to try and achieve the highest score. The controls call for shaking and freezing, among other activities, to score points.
This Disney version includes some special features for the parents. One of these is playlists, which you can create only to play your child’s favorites. There are also on-screen lyrics, so everyone can sing along while you dance — if you’re not too out of breath.
- Several songs from old classics and new originals.
- It gets the kids up and moving.
- It allows for team play.
- Parents can create playlists.
- Too many options before you get to play — it’s not easy for children to figure out alone.
Go Vacation Nintendo Wii
Vacation from Home
For family game night, you can take the ultimate trip from home using this Wii Go Vacation game. It all plays out on Kawawii Island, which has four unique resorts and several activities. The game is recommended for children aged 10 years and up.
Up to four people can play simultaneously, either competitively or together. There are multiple ways to play different activities, and some require a bit of skill.
Players can use the remote or choose the Wii Motion Plus, Wii Balance Board, or Wii Zapper Light Gun.
You can also snap pictures to share, partake in island lifestyle or explore. Some of the activities include fishing, surfing, horseback riding, carnival games, and jet ski riding.
- Several people can play.
- A lot of activities to engage in.
- It’s compatible with different Wii consoles.
- You can take photos, explore, or enjoy the island lifestyle.
- Some of the activities are challenging, so it’s not recommended for children under the age of 10.
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing
Best Sonic Racing Game
Compete with Sonic and friends as they speed to the checkered flag. In this Wii game, your child can race with the blue hero through medieval castles, bustling cities, and lush rainforests.
The game is suitable for everyone. You’ll find all your youngster’s favorite characters with their custom vehicles, ready to race. The tracks include hidden features, which the player will have to discover to win — secret shortcuts can help.
Each character has its own All-Star move, like the Super Sonic, Tails Tornado, or the Banana Blitz. These moves can help the player get back into the race or propel forward for a guaranteed win. Some of these can also be used against opponents when they dare to venture too close.
- Multiple characters and vehicles to choose from.
- Hidden track features.
- Several stages and tracks.
- Special All-Star moves.
- Some of the graphics could be better.
Lego Batman Nintendo Wii
Best Wii Game for Batman Fans
Children 10 years and up can join Batman as he fights to keep Gotham City criminal-free. The game plays out as the criminals bust out of Arkham Asylum, ready to create some turmoil in the city.
In the game, your child gets to control Batman and Robin. They can build, swing, drive, and fight their way through Gotham.
To defeat the criminals, they can use crime-fighting vehicles and other baddie-bashing gadgets.
As a fun twist, the player can turn sides and play as Batman’s foes instead, spreading chaos. It’s an action-packed game combined with the beloved Lego humor, making it fun for parents to play, too.
- Action-packed game.
- Plenty of things for Batman to do.
- It allows the player to play as popular villains.
- Not for small children — it contains some challenging areas.
WB Games Scooby-Doo First Frights
Best Scooby-Doo Wii Game
Join Mystery Inc. as they work to solve mysteries and expose villains. The game is recommended for children 10 years and up. Within a 3D action platform, players get to help collect clues to solve the mystery and unmask the villain.
The game features four new mysteries that play out across more than 20 levels. Players can explore the Phantom Cruise Ship, Foreboding Castle, Hunted High School, and more. They can switch between the different characters or invite a friend to play using the co-op, drop in and out gameplay.
Players can get into enemy territories by disguising themselves with camouflage and super costumes. Your child can choose to play in story mode or explore mode.
- Plenty of mysteries to solve.
- Several levels to conquer.
- It allows for two players.
- There’s a story mode and explore mode.
- Some of the monsters are a bit scary.
Nintendo Selects Wii Sports
Best Get Up and Move Game
If you’re looking for a game that will get everyone off the couch, then Wii Sports is it. It’s suitable for all ages and offers lots of opportunities for at-home activity.
You can turn the living room into a boxing ring, golf course, or a baseball diamond. With the controls, your kid is encouraged to jump, punch, swing, duck, and be alert. Each player can choose a Mii character, which they can personalize to suit their personality or style.
- Plenty of activities.
- It encourages players to get up and move.
- You can play for high scores or simply practice.
- Different Mii characters to choose from.
- The animation is a bit outdated, but it’s still a fun game.
LEGO Jurassic World Wii U
Best Lego Wii Game
Lego has brought us yet another fantastic game — now it brings us into the Jurassic Park universe. Despite the name, this game includes scenes and storylines from four of the movies in the franchise, creating the ultimate Jurassic experience. It’s suitable for anyone aged 10 years and up.
With a dash of Lego humor, this game will probably become a favorite. Players will relive the four incredible movies, playing through key moments. There are lots of opportunities for exploring the grounds of Isla Sorna and Isla Nublar.
The player can choose between 20 dinosaurs, like the Raptor, Triceratops, Compy, and even the T. Rex. They can then customize their collection and experiment with DNA, creating their own original dinosaurs.
- The game plays across four Jurassic movies.
- You’ll have fun replaying this one and discovering new things.
- Different dinosaurs to choose from.
- It allows for two players.
- Some of the scenes are difficult to figure out.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Best Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Wii Game
TMNT fans will love this Wii game. It takes players right into the action together with the four brothers as they battle it out against the villains. It’s recommended for ages 10 and up.
Your child can play as their favorite turtle. Then they must navigate through the sewers, city streets, docks, and subways. The game includes an impressive combo system and combat sequences the player can use to defeat the villains or show off.
As they travel through the city, participants must collect pizzas to keep the turtle’s health up. There are many action-packed levels to conquer, and it allows for up to four players at a time.
- Can play as any character.
- 15 levels to play.
- New combat combos to try.
- Some of the levels could be more challenging.
- You’ll need Wii nunchucks to play this game.
Toy Story 3 Nintendo Wii
Best Toy Story Wii Game
For children who are Toy Story fans, we highly recommend this game. It’s based on the third movie, where Andy gets ready to move to college. The game is recommended for ages 10 and up.
There are two modes in the game to choose from: Story Mode or Toy Box mode.
Toy Box mode is a free world where the player gets to unleash their imagination within the Toy Story universe.
There are several activities, such as missions and the customization of new toys that the player can engage in.
In Story mode, the player will follow the movie’s storyline. Your child can pick their favorite character to play as. To begin, they get thrown into the action and then have to navigate through familiar scenes to ensure no toy is left behind.
- Two play modes.
- All the favorite characters to choose from.
- Several activities.
- Allows for two players.
- Not as great as the game for Playstation.
Angry Birds Star Wars Nintendo Wii
Angry Birds and Star Wars? It’s a unique combination, but the result is hours of fun. The game is suitable for all ages, but small kids might need some help.
The Angry Birds have taken over the Star Wars universe, enabling the player to use the force to blast away the Pigtroopers.
They get to embark on an intergalactic journey through the deserts of Tatooine and into the dark depths of the Pig Star. Here, the terrifying Darth Vader is waiting.
The game allows for up to four players to battle through the 200 levels. There are more than 25 hours of fun, so make sure you set a time limit.
- It’s a game parents and children should enjoy playing together.
- Is compatible with older Wii units.
- Up to four people can play.
- The birds are difficult to control.
- Younger kids may need help with some levels.
Just Dance Kids
Best Dance Game
For children who love to dance, we found the Just Dance Kids game. The game is suitable for all ages, and kids can find almost all their favorite songs. It has everything from Surfin’ USA to Wheels on the Bus.
The beats will get everyone up and moving, from the tiniest tots to the oldest adults. The 40-plus songs are all re-recorded by children to suit the game and its audience. Players must shake and freeze to earn points.
For parents, the game allows you to track how many calories are burned during the songs. It might surprise you how much exercise your little ones can get from this game.
- Fun for the whole family.
- Over 40 child-friendly songs.
- Calorie tracker.
- Difficult to get started — children will probably need help to begin songs.
How to Choose the Wii Games for Kids
Mastering Screen Time Management
Consider these guidelines for a balanced digital routine:
- Time constraints: Limiting screen time to 1 to 2 hours daily offers a balanced tech and real-world interaction.
- Research games: Before buying, make sure you check the game. Watch a preview video and read reviews, and always adhere to age ratings.
- Offer other free time activities: Use video games as a last resort or as a reward. Encourage your child to play outside or do something creative like drawing before they’re allowed to play video games.
- Video games in common areas only: Avoid letting your child play video games alone in their room. Have the consoles hooked up to the living room TV — this makes it easier to limit time and content.