If one of your kids, like mine, is a fan of dragons, you’ve likely seen the wide scope of dragon-related toys and merchandise available for purchase. If you can’t keep all the cartoon dragons in your child’s television shows straight, we feel your pain.
The best dragon toys can be highly specific, depending upon which version of a dragon your child likes. Whether they are into friendly or fiercer dragons, we’ve compiled a list of our 15 favorite toys for this flying creature.
- Fun to care for until hatching
- Dragon will play “input & response”
- Appropriate for wide age range
- Has moving wings & tail
- Includes instructions for 3 models
- Compatible with lego products
- Stimulates imaginative play
- Figures are articulated
- Compatible with other items
- Suitable for lefties & righties
- Encourages storytelling
- Develops coordination & motor skills
- Wonderful designs inspire creativity
- Suitable for outside & indoor play
- Compatible with other schleich items
- Removable, easy-to-clean cover
- Comes with a pump
- Comfortable to sit on
- Shoe covers for head-to-toe dragon
- Easy to wash
- Great for halloween
- Durable dragon that holds up well
- Available in different styles & colors
- Super soft for snuggles
- Simple to learn
- Can be played anywhere
- Used by mental health professionals
- Easy to take anywhere
- BPA- & phthalate-free
- Doubles as night light
How to Choose the Best Dragon Toys
As with all toys, it’s important to be careful what dragon merchandise you choose. You want it to be safe and something your child will love.
Always put your child’s age front and center when choosing a suitable toy.
There is a specific set of age-related guidelines against which manufacturers assess their toys. The guide covers, among other things, the size of parts, and how durable the toy is rather than how developmentally advanced, or otherwise, a child must be to enjoy it.
You should choose toys according to the recommended age range on the packaging rather than how advanced you believe your child to be.
Major toy manufacturers ensure that their manufactured and imported items adhere to U.S. regulations (1). However, toys that are made abroad and imported by smaller companies may not be compliant. Consequently, it’s best to buy toys from a reputable brand or seller.
If your child loves dragons of all kinds, rather than those from a particular franchise, avoiding character-driven items may give you more bang for your buck.
However, if they are huge fans of a specific dragon, consider buying them a smaller item they will enjoy that’s within your budget. That’s a better bet than spending the same amount of money on something more substantial that they won’t like as much because it’s not their favorite dragon.
Ask your child about the kind of dragons they like and follow their lead. If your little one is a fan of Dreamworks’ How To Train Your Dragon franchise, they may not be excited by a random dragon coloring book.
Likewise, a Dragonball fan who is desperate for their own Shenron is going to be less than impressed when presented with a lovingly painted dragon from the Schleich line.
Not only are toys that break easily a waste of money, but they are a cause of disappointment to our kids.
It’s a good idea to check out item reviews to see if a large number of people have had the same or similar problems with breakages.
The Best Dragon Toys of 2022
Here is our list of the best dragon toys for kids.
1. Dreamworks Dragons’ Hatching Baby Dragon
Best Interactive Dragon Toy
This dragon begins life in his egg. You can see through the shell, and when you shake it, the dragon will growl. Tap on the outside of the shell, and he’ll tap back.
When you’ve interacted with him enough, the dragon shell “cracks open” and you can play with your dragon. Then you can teach your dragon toy to fly, eat, and plasmablast.
Play music and he will dance, ask him questions and he’ll answer, and roar at him, and he’ll roar back.
- Fun to care for until hatching.
- Dragon will play “input and response” games.
- Appropriate for a wide age range.
- Needs batteries.
- The hatching only happens once.
2. LEGO Creator: 3-in-1 Mythical Creatures
Best LEGO Dragon Toy
LEGO has multiple fabulous dragon sets available, including dragons in their Harry Potter, Ninjago, Minecraft, and Elves lines. We chose this one because it has the broadest appeal.
You can build a fire breathing dragon with pointy claws, scary green eyes, and scary fangs. When complete, the dragon is 10 inches long with flapping wings and an articulated tail.
You can also disassemble it and follow the instructions to build a giant spider or a troll.
- Has moving wings and tail.
- Includes instructions for three models.
- Compatible with other LEGO products.
- Some kids may prefer a character-driven LEGO dragon set.
3. Playmobil Novelmore Burnham Raiders Dragon Training Playset
Best Playmobil Dragon Toy
Playmobil has an entire How To Train Your Dragon franchise range, which our family adores, but we chose this set for a bit of variety.
This set includes a dragon and two people, all of which are articulated. There is a catapult with fireballs for the people to shoot at the dragon. Other accessories, such as a bow and arrow for the figure, are also included.
This set can be enjoyed as it stands, but it also compatible with other items in the Novelmore line or with any other Playmobil products.
- Stimulates imaginative play.
- Figures are articulated.
- Compatible with other items.
- Have to be careful not to lose small accessories.
4. Melissa & Doug Smoulder the Dragon Puppet
Best Puppet Dragon Toy
With glittery eyes, a forked tongue, and a cheeky smile, this dragon puppet is likely to appeal to tiny dragon fans.
Kids can use one hand to work the dragon’s mouth and create different facial expressions.
They then use the other hand to operate the puppet rod to move the body. The rod is detachable if your child doesn’t want to use it.
- Suitable for both lefties and righties.
- Encourages storytelling.
- Suitable for coordination and motor skills.
- May not be appealing for older children.
- Pretty small for adult hands if you want to give an impromptu puppet performance for your child.
5. Schleich Bayala Flower Dragon
Best Dragon Action Figures
The flower dragon is a mother who comes with her cute baby dragon. The lava and ice dragons are excellent for fantasy play.
Enjoy these dragons in the water, snow, sand, and dirt because there is nowhere for water or debris to enter, and they can be easily washed in soapy water. If your child insists that dragons should be outside rather than inside, you won’t have to worry.
- The wonderful designs should inspire creative play.
- Suitable for outside and indoor play.
- Compatible with other Schleich items.
- Not articulated.
6. Two-Headed, Inflatable Dragon Hopper Toys
Best Ride-On Dragon Toy
Who doesn’t want to ride a dragon?
This is a giant, thick-walled dragon-shaped balloon on the inside. On the outside, it’s an adorable plush, two-headed dragon with horns, wings, and a goofy smile. Well, two goofy smiles.
With a non-slip underside and a low center of gravity, your child may never want to get off their dragon.
- Removable, easy-to-clean cover that’s machine washable.
- Comes with a pump.
- The dragon is cute and appealing to young kids.
- It’s comfortable to sit on.
- Only suitable for 4 years and under.
- You’ll have to inflate it yourself.
7. California Costumes Fire Breathing Dragon
Best Dragon Costume
This adorable full-body dragon costume has detachable wings, a firm swishy tail, and a hood-like head.
Kids step into the costume from the rear, and it closes at the back with Velcro, so it’s easy for kids to put on and take off themselves.
It’s available in two sizes and two color combos so your toddler and your older child can be matching or coordinating scary dragons if they wish.
- Shoe covers for a head-to-toe dragon.
- Easy to wash.
- Great for Halloween or solely for playing dress-up.
- Sizing can be on the small side.
8. Aurora Dinos and Dragons Vollenth The Green
Best Plush Dragon Toy
We have three different Aurora dragons in our household, and they are excellent quality. The plush fabric is soft with a thick pile and carefully stitched. The sparkly fabric on the wings and inside the ears has stood up well to several years of loving cuddles.
If your child likes their stuffed animals on the firm side, this dragon is a good pick. It’s soft enough to cuddle but firm enough to stand up.
- It’s a durable dragon that holds up well over the years.
- Available in different styles and colors.
- Super soft for snuggles.
- It still manages to look like a real dragon, even though it’s a stuffed animal.
- The wings are small, which may be disappointing to your child, but makes it more huggable.
9. Mad Dragon Anger Control Card Game
Best Dragon Game
Played like Uno, this card game teaches kids how to recognize anger, deal with it healthily, and avoid anger-inducing situations.
Kids learn that they have emotional choices. The game provides opportunities to practice one or more of 11 effective anger management techniques.
It’s a fun, fast-paced card game that kids should enjoy.
- Simple to learn.
- Can be played anywhere.
- Used by mental health professionals.
- Requires reading skills or adult support.
10. Pillow Pets Toothless, Sleeptime Lite
Best Dragon Toy for Toddlers
A cute dragon toy with an integrated night light, the Toothless Pillow Pet projects stars of three different colors.
The night light has a 20-minute timer, so there’s no need to sneak in and turn it off. Meanwhile, it’s simple for a toddler to re-activate the light if they wake up in the dark.
Fold Toothless in half, and he stands on your bed. Undo the strap on his belly, and he becomes a pillow to be loved.
- Easy to take anywhere.
- Official Pillow Pets are BPA- and phthalate-free.
- Doubles as a night light.
- Batteries drain quite quickly.
11. Robo Alive Dragon Red
Best Fire-Breathing Dragon Toy
This is a walking, roaring, robotic dragon with reflective eyes, and a mouth that “bites.”
The dragon stands in an upright position and walks on its back legs.
It’s a decent 12 inches tall, and 20 inches from the top of its head to the tip of its tail.
The wings and front legs can be moved into different positions.
- Available in two colors so you can host dragon battles.
- Cool, light-up fire-breathing effect.
- Moves across the floor.
- No volume control on the roar.
- Doesn’t work the best on thick carpets.
12. Dragamonz Ultimate Dragon, 6 Pack
Best Cheap Dragon Toy
Each of the four eggs in this multi-pack is unique.
You crack the eggs open to reveal a different collectible dragon in each, and there are also two eggless dragons in the pack.
The box also contains 30 battle cards, six dragon cards, and an attack calculator card, which is everything you need to play the Dragamonz trading card game.
- Lots of bang-for-your-buck value.
- You get the toys and a card game.
- An augmented reality app card is also included.
- There are 70 to collect, so this could be the start of something bigger.
13. Wild Republic Rubber Dragon Ducks
Best Dragon Bath Toy
Wild Republic makes a range of award-winning rubber ducks that are highly sought after by kids and adults alike.
They don’t have holes, so they remain mold-free after use.
This blue dragon rubber animal is four inches high and comes with an integral rubber flame that won’t go out in the bath.
- Hole-free construction means no mold.
- Other dragon and non-dragon ducks available.
- No hole also means no squeaker.
14. Crocodile Creek Dragon Adventure
Best Dragon Puzzle
This sturdy, 72-piece puzzle is 14 inches wide by 9 inches tall when finished, so it won’t take up a ton of room.
As a bonus, this will fit on most airplane trays, so it’s suitable for travel.
Both the pieces themselves and the packaging are made from recycled cardboard, so it’s a gift you can feel good about giving.
The puzzle features seven dragons.
- Printed with soy-based ink.
- Bright colors.
- The pieces fit together well.
- Not challenging enough for older dragon fans.
15. World of Dragons Coloring Book
Best Dragon Coloring Book
This coloring book features 30 pages of beautifully drawn dragons found in myths and legends around the world.
Discover, among others, Norse, Polish, and Egyptian dragons.
There’s also a Greek temple guardian, a Balinese Spirit King dragon, and more.
- Challenging enough for older kids and adults.
- An exciting introduction to dragons in multiple cultures.
- Affordable fun for kids.
- Too tricky for tiny tots.
Don’t Get Shot Down In Flames
It can be disheartening to buy a toy for your child, only to discover they are less than excited to play with it.
To avoid spending money on an item that will be quickly forgotten, take the time to get to know exactly what kinds of dragons your child likes. Not only will you be more likely to choose something they enjoy, but you’ll also spend quality time getting to know your child a little better.