- Meaning: Haley means “hay clearing”, “hay meadow”, “wise one”, and “hero.”
- Gender: Haley is primarily a feminine given name.
- Origin: Haley is of British, English, Norse, and Irish origins.
- Pronunciation: “HAY-lee” or “HEY-lee”
- Popularity: Haley is a popular given name at #560 amongst the top 1,000 baby girl names.
- Nicknames: Hail, Hayle, Lee, LeeLee, Lei, Ley.
- Variations: Hailee (Old English), Hailey (English), Hailie (Old English), Halle (Norse), Haylee (English), Hayleigh (English), Hayley (Old English).
- Namesakes: Haley Anderson, Haley Cope, Haley Gibby, Haley Giraldo, Haley Ishimatsu, Haley Joel Osment, Haley Johnsen.
- What Does Haley Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Haley?
- How Popular is the Name Haley?
- How Do I Pronounce Haley?
- Is Haley a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Haley
- Nicknames for Haley
- Similar Names to Haley
- Middle Names for Haley
- Sibling Names for Haley
- Famous People Named Haley
- Haley in Popular Culture
- Haley FAQs
What Does Haley Mean?
Haley mainly means “hay clearing” or “hay meadow” in its British roots. The name also means “wise one” in Irish and “hero” in Norse. The Irish word for “wise one” is “ciallmhar,” while the Norse word for “hero” is “seggr.” (1)
What is the Origin of the Name Haley?
Haley stems from multiple origins, with roots in British, English, Irish, and Norse heritage, and is a name with so much history.
Its primary name meaning is of British origin. The meaning of “hay clearing” or “hay meadow” stems from two old English words which are “hēg,” meaning “hay,” and “lēah,” which translates to mean “clearing” or “wood.”
Haley started as an Old English, mainly West Yorkshire surname for those living in Northowram.
The name variations were other habitational names throughout the historic area. Oxfordshire people had the last name Hailey while the Heylee people from Derbyshire (2).
How Popular is the Name Haley?
Haley is a popular name at #560 as of 2021 on the top baby names for girls. Haley is the second most popular spelling, and Hailey ranks the highest at #77.
Haley entered the list in 1974 at #961. It fell off for a few years and majorly spiked in popularity at #442. Haley was the most popular in 2000 at #28 (3).
How Do I Pronounce Haley?
Some parents like to pronounce Haley as “HEY-lee.” The more popular pronunciation is “HAY-lee.”
Is Haley a Boy or Girl Name?
While Haley is primarily a feminine name, boys can have this given name, too. More than 158,000 females have the name Haley while roughly 800 males hold this same name, which means only 0.52% of the population are boys named Haley.
Variations of Haley
Haley has many unique name variations for you to get creative with how to spell the name. Other variations are:
- Hailee (Old English)
- Hailey (English)
- Hailie (Old English)
- Halle (Norse)
- Haylee (English)
- Hayleigh (English)
- Hayley (Old English)
Nicknames for Haley
Haley opens up the nickname pool for some naturistic nicknames. Try one of these nicknames for your baby named Haley:
Similar Names to Haley
Haley has many different similar names if this name is not vibing with you. These are the similar names that we think you will like:
Middle Names for Haley
Haley goes great with shorter middle names for a more whimsical flow. These are the middle names that we think pair well with Hailey:
Sibling Names for Haley
If you have a child with the name Haley already, it’s time to pick a suitable name for their sibling. Try one of these baby name ideas that we believe pair well with Haley. Some of them are related to nature just like Haley:
For a brother:
For a Sister:
Famous People Named Haley
Because of Haley’s popularity, many celebrities have this given name. These are the famous people that we wanted to feature for you:
- Haley Anderson: American nursing school student at University of Birmingham; a victim of a murder highlighted on the show “48 Hours.”
- Haley Cope: American swimmer.
- Haley Gibby: British electronic music singer.
- Haley Giraldo: American TV personality; Pat Benatar’s eldest daughter
- Haley Ishimatsu: American Olympic athlete.
- Haley Joel Osment: American actor.
- Haley Johnsen: American singer.
- Haley Nicole Moore: American professional golfer.
- Haley Nicole Nemra: American-Marshallese athlete.
- Haley Scarnato: American singer.
- Haley Tju: American actress.
Haley in Popular Culture
There are some cartoon and reality television characters named Haley while some of them spell their name with the more unique name variation, Hayley. Here are some characters we wanted to show you named Haley or Hayley:
- Haley Booth: Fictional character in the television show “Ackley Bridge.”
- Haley Brooks: Supporting character in the show “Criminal Minds.”
- Haley Dunphy: Fictional character in the reality television show, “Modern Family”; Phil and Claire’s oldest child.
- Haley James Scott: Fictional character on the reality television series “One Tree Hill.”
- Haley Keller: Character from the 2019 horror film “Crawl.”
- Haley Long: Younger sister of Jake Long on Disney animated series “American Dragon: Jake Long.”
- Hayley: Bebe’s friend and the “My Pokemon Ranch” host.
- Hayley Smith: Stan Smith’s daughter on the adult animated series “American Dad!”
Haley is a lovely name, but you may still have some questions. Here are answers to your frequently asked questions about this name.