- Meaning: Andres means either “warrior” or “virile”.
- Gender: Andres is a masculine name.
- Origin: Spanish.
- Pronunciation: “AHN-dray” or “AHN-drehs”
- Popularity: Top 400 in the US.
- Nicknames: Ani, Dre.
- Variations: Andreas, Andrew.
- Namesakes: Andres Ehin, an Estonian poet; Andres Koort, an Estonian artist.
- What Does Andres Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Andres?
- How Popular is the Name Andres?
- How Do I Pronounce Andres?
- Is Andres a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Andres
- Nicknames for Andres
- Similar Names to Andres
- Middle Names for Andres
- Sibling Names for Andres
- Famous People Named Andres
- Andres in Popular Culture
- Andres FAQs
What Does Andres Mean?
Andres means both “warrior” and “virile.”
What is the Origin of the Name Andres?
How Popular is the Name Andres?
The name Andres has been around for a long time. Since name tracking started in the late 1800s, Andres ranked in the top 3,000 names in the United States. In 1880 the name was the 913th most popular name. Andres increased and decreased rapidly in popularity throughout the end of the 19th century.
By 1908 the name was the 1,441st most popular name. After plateauing in the mid-1960s throughout much of the 20th century, Andres gained popularity in 1960 when it was the 1,216th most popular name in the United States. It steadily climbed in popularity throughout the rest of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st century.
For most of the 21st century, Andres plateaued in the 250th to 400th most popular name range. It peaked in 2007 when it was the 283rd most popular name. In 2021 this name was the 396th most popular name in the United States (1).
Andres is often far more popular in other countries. For example, in Estonia, Andres has been in the top ten most popular names for boys for several years. It also ranks fairly high in Sweden and Australia.
How Do I Pronounce Andres?
You may pronounce Andres in a few different ways depending on the culture that the name is from. For example, a Spanish way of pronouncing it is “AHN-dray.” An Estonian way of pronouncing this name is “AHN-drehs.”
Is Andres a Boy or Girl Name?
Andres is a masculine name.
Variations of Andres
Given the connections this name has to different cultures, it is not surprising that there are several variations of the name Andres. Some variations are connected to other cultures, while others are simply alternative spellings.
Nicknames for Andres
Andres lends itself beautifully to nicknames. If you give your child this name, rest assured that you will never run out of fun nicknames for your kid.
Similar Names to Andres
Perhaps you enjoy elements of the name Andres, but you know it is not your final name choice. If this is the case, you may want a name that has some similar background or components to Andres. If this sounds like what you want, consider names that have a Spanish or Greek background, a similar popularity pattern, or sounds in common.
Middle Names for Andres
When pairing a middle name with Andres, you may want to take a few approaches. Middle and first names with similar sounds in common pair together nicely. You can also reinforce Andres’ background by pairing it with a middle name that has a Greek or Spanish background. However, you can also choose to contrast it with a name with a different background.
Sibling Names for Andres
When choosing a sibling name, it is a good idea to have a good balance of similarities and differences between the names. You do not want a name that is too similar to Andres, but it is nice if there are some things, such as sounds, background, or popularity, to unite them.
Famous People Named Andres
There are many famous people named Andres. Athletes, writers, artists, scientists, and politicians all share this name. You will likely notice that many of the famous people on this list are Estonian.
- Andres Ehin: Estonian writer, editor, poet, translator.
- Andres Gerber: Swiss football player.
- Andres Ilves: Estonian-American journalist.
- Andres Kasekamp: Estonian-Canadian historian and political scientist.
- Andres Kollist: Estonian chemist, librarian, politician, and activist.
- Andres Koort: Estonian artist.
- Andres Labrakis: Greek wrestler.
- Andres Langemets: Estonian publicist and poet.
- Andres Lavik: Norwegian farmer and politician.
- Andres Marin: Colombian-American rock climber.
- Andres Metspalu: Estonian geneticist.
- Andres Ojamaa: Estonian badminton player.
- Andres Olvik: Estonian swimmer.
- Andres Põime: Estonian architect.
Andres in Popular Culture
Andres is not as popular in pop culture as its counterparts such as Andrew and Andre. However, there are a few Andres throughout popular culture. There are some fictional characters with this name as well as some songs, storms, and more.
- Andrés “Andy” Goddzer: a character from the telenovela Graduados.
- Andres, Illinois: unincorporated community.
- Andres: an L7 song.
- Hurricane Andres: a 2009 hurricane in Mexico.
- Andres, Pas-de-Calais, France
- San Andres: patron saint of fishermen.
These are the most commonly asked questions about the name Andres.