If you don’t have a set already, walkie talkies can do a lot to fuel children’s independence and help them get out there and have some fun.
Another perk to walkie talkies? They can give your child a sense of freedom and you can still be right there when they need you. Set one up for yourself and you can journey along with them — from an appropriate mom-distance.
We’ve done the research and found all of the best walkie talkies to help make your decision easier.
- Fully rechargeable
- Batteries included
- Built-in LED torch
- CTCSS privacy system option
- Great, clear connection
- Auto power saver
- Great value for the money
- Built-in flashlight
- Three to six miles range
- Compact, lightweight body
- 3 separate channels
- Crystal-clear sound quality
- Access to FRS band
- 9 channel and auto shutdown function
- Clear sound quality
How to Choose Walkie Talkies for Kids
Ready to bring home a set of walkie talkies for your children? There are a few questions you’ll probably be asking yourself while searching:
How Many Do You Need?
Do you have several children? Will you need an extra one for yourself, or do you want a system you can add additional walkie talkies to later? This will help you pinpoint the models that are right for you.
It may not be a bad idea to have a walkie talkie yourself so you can hear what your child or children are doing.
Editor's Note:Jennifer Schlette, MSN, RN
How Will They Be Powered?
Do you need to invest in a monthly subscription of batteries or make the leap to lithium-ion rechargeable batteries? Or would you prefer to opt for traditional outlet-recharging walkie talkies? You’ll have multiple options, so pick what works best for your needs.
What Kind Of Range Do You Need?
Do you have small children who are using walkie talkies in separate rooms down the hall? Or are your children at opposite ends of a field? Your range needs matter here, so keep distance in mind when shopping.
Do You Need Additional Features?
Are basic walkie talkie features sufficient or are you looking for something more? Walkie talkies can be quite sophisticated, so decide what you need before going shopping to rule out options.
Things to Keep in Mind
Walkie talkies can truly be a great option for your children. There are some safety precautions you’ll want to take when introducing walkie talkies to your children, though (1):
- Remind your children of existing boundaries: Yes, having walkie talkies can give your child a sense of freedom. But it’s important to remind them you have rules in place for a reason. Make sure they know where they’re allowed to go.
- Consider walkie talkies with privacy code options: These are models that will help keep your children safe. If you’re in a highly-populated area where you feel outside interference may happen, it’s worth considering.
- Go over basic safety protocols: Remind your children not to talk to strangers and always report back to you if they feel unsafe.
The Best Kids Walkie Talkies of 2022
Here are 5 great walkie talkies for kids to consider.
1. Retevis Kids Walkie Talkies
Best Rechargeable Walkie Talkies
Tired of constantly buying batteries? If you use your walkie talkies often or have children who can’t remember to turn them off, you may want something that’s rechargeable.
It’s easy to discount the expense of repeatedly purchasing batteries when you’re shopping for walkie talkies. But batteries are expensive, and many don’t have a long life. This set is made for children and rechargeable.
You can choose from three different color schemes, a fun pixelated camo print, light blue, or vibrant pink. These units come with a charging cable and plug as well as a rechargeable battery. Everything is included in the single purchase price.
The units have a keypad which helps prevent preset settings from being accidentally altered. A backlit LCD screen allows for easy use, even after lights out. There’s also a built-in flashlight.
These great devices are designed with kids in mind and are made to withstand accidental drops or falls. You’ll be able to choose from 10 different call tones and they can be used in a hands-free mode. They’re also equipped for headphone use.
This set also includes belt clips for when you need a free hand. The manufacturer offers a 90-day warranty and a 30-day, no-questions-asked, return policy.
- Fully rechargeable.
- Everything you need comes with this single purchase — including the batteries.
- Manufacturer’s warranty.
- Shorter range than some of our other choices, up to 9000 feet.
- Quite complicated for younger children to use.
2. Tintec 3-Pack Walkie Talkies
Great for Trios
This three-pack of walkie talkies is a great option if you have more than two children or want in on the fun, too. It offers 22 different channels for your kids to use, ensuring there will be at least one frequency that works for them.
In addition to the 22 different main channels, there are sub-channels available. Your children will enjoy up to 3 miles of uninterrupted wireless communication. This set is also equipped with a privacy system (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System or CTCSS) that helps protect your children from outside interference.
These units are user-friendly. They’re compactly designed and perfect for small hands. Also, they’re hardy and can withstand falls up to 4 feet.
They’re also easy to operate, even for young children. A simple push-to-talk system will have your little ones communicating with ease.
Each device is a different, bright color, and has lots of appeal for children. As a bonus, they’ll be less likely to misplace them. The units run on four AAA batteries. A power button will help preserve the life of your batteries when not in use.
- CTCSS privacy system option with 99 low-frequency tones helps prevent outside interference.
- Great, clear connection without any static.
- These can be used with other walkie talkies on the same channel.
- Built-in flashlight backlit.
- This set doesn’t include batteries.
- Battery-life is short-lived — with three walkie talkies using four AAA batteries each, you may be using a lot of batteries regularly.
3. Wishouse Walkie Talkies
Best Budget Walkie Talkies
This is a great purchase for the budget-conscious. Have a child you think will tire of walkie talkies quickly, or you want to try a set out with little risk? This walkie talkie set might be for you.
Not only are these great from a budget standpoint, but they’re also attractive and available in a variety of colors. This set boasts a 3-mile range within the neighborhood and up to six miles in open waters. There are 22 different channels so you can find the ideal frequency. It’s simple to use with a push-to-talk button and suitable for even young children to use.
These walkie talkies come equipped with several additional features. A built-in flashlight can be a great addition for camping or evening activities. There’s also a hands-free talking option, a low-battery alert, and a battery-saving option.
You’ll also love the adjustable volume control. Your units will remember your presets, even after they’ve been powered down and restarted.
These units are also FCC certified. Lastly, they’re equipped with the CTCSS system that prevents outside interference.
- Great value for the money.
- Equipped with built-in flashlight.
- Full of great features which include a privacy function.
- Range of up to six miles.
- Made in China.
4. Komvox Kids Walkie Talkies
Great for Talkative Toddlers
If you’re shopping for very young children, you need something that will withstand toddler tantrums and accidents. This Komvox set can be a great choice for your young ones.
Though it’s designed for young children, it still has a great range of up to three miles. Your child should have no problem using this set from room to room or in the backyard.
These are vibrantly colored so they’ll be quickly found, even in an overflowing toy box. The antenna is designed to be hardy and is fully enclosed in a protective outer covering.
With minimal buttons and an easy-to-use interface, even young children can easily navigate using it. The smaller size is perfect for little hands, as well.
This set is also equipped with the CTCSS system, which works to keep your children safe. This set has only three channels, which is great for young children. Even if they manage to click away from their channel, they can make their way back quickly.
This set runs on AAA batteries. You can expect 9 hours of use on standby and 3.5 hours of continuous time for battery life. This set has a great quality sound for your little ones; clear without any distortion.
- A great design for young children — functional without being complicated.
- Small enough for little hands.
- Long range capabilities and great sound quality.
- No charging option means you may be looking at replacing batteries often.
- May not be as durable as other options.
5. Connecom 2-Packs Walkie Talkies
Best for Twins
This walkie talkie set is a great option for twins. Do you have twins in your family, or will you be setting off on an adventure with multiple groups of kids? The additional walkie talkies can come in handy.
It’s not just about the extra walkie talkies, though. These units also sport several great features your group will love. They’re easy to use with battery saving options.
It extends its durability with the drop-resistant feature. Moreover, there’s a channel lock to facilitate use and even noise reduction. They’re also equipped with a call alert — you’ll always know when someone is trying to reach you.
Each unit requires three AAA batteries which aren’t included in the purchase. They’ll provide you with long hours of continuous use. In an open space, you can expect up to a 3-mile range, and the sound quality is crisp and clear without static or distortion.
- Compact and attractive design.
- 9 channel and auto shutdown function.
- Clear sound quality.
- Batteries not included.
When and Where to Use Walkie Talkies
If you’re not sure exactly how your kids will use walkie talkies, here are some fun ideas to get you going:
- Nature stakeouts: Pick different ends of the yard and settle in for some serious nature-watching. Your children can report back and forth what they see — and you can join in on the fun.
- Bedtime shenanigans: Go ahead and let them think they’ve got one up on you by turning to the walkie talkies after lights out. You may be surprised how a few extra minutes of giggling can add to their day.
- Hide and seek: Add a new element of fun to your games of hide and seek. Like Marco Polo, your kids can give instructions, or “hot” and “cold” designation, to determine location.
- Pretend: Are your children going on a dinosaur safari? Are they tracking down supervillains? Your kids will come up with endless ways to tap into their creative side while using their walkie talkies (2).