Are you excited your toddler has finally graduated to being able to use pillows?
You might be tempted to toss your child one of your extras or go out and buy the first cute option you see, but this isn’t the safest idea.
Although the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) decreases as your child ages, you should still take precautions to choose the best and safest pillow for your toddler.
That’s why we’ve created this guide — to help you understand what to look for in a toddler pillow and to give you our detailed reviews of the best toddler pillows and pillowcases currently on the market.
With one of these picks, your toddler will sleep in comfort, and you can rest easy too, knowing you’ve done your part to keep them safe.
- 100% hypoallergenic
- Hygienic design
- 1-year money-back guarantee
- Comes with organic pillowcase
- Machine washable and dryer friendly
- Super-soft outer shell
- Quickly adjusts to all children
- Never goes flat
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- Satisfaction guaranteed
- Lots of cute prints and colors
- Pillowcase included
- Perfect size for sleep or snuggles
- Super soft & comfortable
- Dual purpose
- Attached pillow, mat, and blanket
- Soft, lightweight material
- 100% polyester
- Multifarious designs to choose from
- Universal size
- 100% organic cotton
- Soft but durable fabric
- Pillow is fully enclosed in case
Is Your Toddler Ready for a Pillow?
Some parents choose to introduce pillows even later than this, and some children are happy without one for years. Ultimately, it’s your decision as a parent as to when you want to incorporate a pillow. If you are unsure about the right time for your child, you should speak with their health care provider.
These are some ways to tell that your child may be ready to sleep with a pillow:
- They are unable to sleep without their head propped up.
- They are uncomfortable and restless at night.
- They use a blanket or stuffed animal as a pillow.
- They like to use a pillow when in your bed or on the couch.
Toddler Pillow Safety
As with most things related to toddlers, there are always risks. The best thing you can do is educate yourself on these risks and figure out solutions or ways you can avoid them. Your child’s health care provider can serve as a resource.
If you believe your child is ready for a pillow, it’s essential you avoid the following types (1):
- A pillow that’s too soft: A pillow that is too soft or fluffy poses a suffocation risk. Like in the Goldilocks story, it’s best to find one that isn’t too soft but isn’t too firm.
- A pillow that’s too big: An adult-sized pillow is too big for toddlers and only increases the suffocation risk. Overly large pillows can also cause neck or back strain.
- A pillow with loose fabric: You should never place an adult-sized pillowcase on a toddler pillow, as the extra material can be a safety hazard. You should also choose lightweight fabrics over heavier ones.
- A pillow with unsafe fillers: Pillows filled with cheap or loose filling can pose a choking hazard. Pieces of foam, pellets, or grains may eventually make their way outside the pillow and cause trouble. Purchase a pillow with polyester or natural filling to avoid this problem.
- A pillow that worsens allergies: The chemicals used to treat some fillers can aggravate sensitive noses or skins. Opt for a hypoallergenic pillow instead.
How to Choose the Best Toddler Pillow
Many factors will determine what type of pillow is best for your toddler. Keep the following in mind before making your pick.
The Best Toddler Pillows of 2022
Here are our favorite toddler pillows.
1. KeaBabies Hypoallergenic Toddler Pillow With Pillow Case
Best Toddler Pillow for Allergies
If your child has allergies, it can be challenging to find a pillow that will not cause flare-ups. This hypoallergenic pillow is a great option to ensure your little one is allergy-free when sleeping.
The materials used in this pillow are 100% hypoallergenic and incredibly soft to keep your little one comfortable. This pillow is best if used by children between the ages of 2 and 5.
This pillow is a great choice to ensure spinal support and the healthy growth and development of your child when sleeping. It was specially designed with toddlers in mind to accommodate their unique sleep needs.
This pillow comes with a pillowcase, which adds another layer of hypoallergenic protection and helps reduce the development of odors.
If your child struggles with allergies, a hypoallergenic pillow is what you need.
- 100% hypoallergenic.
- Includes a pillowcase.
- Machine washable and hygienic.
- One-year money-back guarantee.
- Only one size available: 13 x 18 inches.
- Not organic.
2. My Little North Star 100% Organic Toddler Pillow
Best Organic Toddler Pillow
This smaller-than-average pillow was made with toddlers in mind. It was created for children between 2 and 5 years of age, with the smaller size making it more comfortable and supportive for little ones. Chiropractors designed and approved this pillow to ensure that it provides comfortable and proper sleep for your little one.
A major benefit of this pillow is that it has a 100% organic cotton shell and hypoallergenic cluster fiber filling. If you’re looking for a more natural and chemical-free pillow for your child, this is the perfect combination.
If you are looking for a pillow that doesn’t need a pillowcase, this one is also a great choice because it’s washable. The pillow’s filling remains smooth after washing and drying.
This product was designed in the USA and comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Comprised of hypoallergenic fillings to be as natural as possible.
- Machine washable and dryer friendly.
- Super-soft outer shell for maximum comfort.
- Made in the USA with love and care.
- Long-lasting and easy to clean.
- Requires frequent fluffing.
- Costly for a small pillow.
3. Snuggle-Pedic Toddler Pillow
Best Memory Foam Toddler Pillow
It’s easy for adults to adjust their pillows and go back to sleep quickly, but this can sometimes be an impossible task for toddlers. You don’t want a pillow being the reason your child wakes up in the night and can’t go back to sleep.
Down pillows are comfortable, but they lose their shape throughout the night. This quality memory foam pillow solves the problem and keeps your toddler comfortable throughout the night.
The material used inside is light, shredded memory foam, making for a pillow that’s not too firm or too soft. Finally, this pillow uses a micro-vented bamboo cover to allow for breathability and circulation throughout the night.
- Quickly adjusts to all children.
- Machine washable.
- Never goes flat.
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant.
- 90-day sleep trial and 20-year warranty.
- No zipper for adjusting filling content.
- More firm than some other options.
4. Dreamtown Kids Toddler Pillow
Best Flat Toddler Pillow
This pillow is designed with the correct fill to keep your toddler comfortable and supported. Some children tend to prefer flatter pillows, which sometimes means that support can be compromised. That’s not the case with this Dreamtown Kids pillow.
The dense, supportive fibers will keep your child stable throughout the night. All the pillow’s components are non-toxic and woven with 100% cotton or poly blend materials.
These materials are also great for resisting mold, mildew, and mites and are 100% hypoallergenic. It is also recommended by chiropractors.
A pillowcase is included, and you can use the pillow with or without it, but it’s nice to have the option. You can also choose from a selection of other pillowcases to suit your child’s style.
- Made in the USA.
- Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
- Many cute colors and prints to choose from.
- Pillowcase included.
- The stitching could be more durable.
- The fabric is not as soft as some other options.
5. Pillow Pets Cute Plush Pillow
Cutest Toddler Pillow
Some toddlers need a pillow but don’t like the idea of sleeping with something new. If you want your toddler to make the switch, a “pillow pet friend” is a great place to start.
This pillow is small and was designed for young toddlers. The variety of animal options lets your child choose one they will love and be excited to use.
Release the Velcro fasteners to turn this stuffed animal into a soft, friendly pillow for sleeping. The animal choices are super cute and a great alternative to a plain, traditional pillow.
The soft plush fur makes these pillows very huggable, both in their stuffed animals or comfortable pillow form. If you have been struggling to find a cute and snuggly pillow for your little one, this is a great one to start with.
- Machine washable.
- Available in a variety of cute animals.
- Super soft and comfortable.
- Doubles as a pillow and a friend.
- Not hypoallergenic.
6. Baby Boom Nap Mat Set
Best Toddler Pillow and Blanket Set
Some parents struggle to find a toddler pillow and blanket that coordinates with the bedroom, so this helps take the drama out of that decision. This nap mat set comes with all the necessary items for your child’s nap — at home or away from home — plus the important toddler-sized pillow.
There are many print options, from dinosaurs to sports to unicorns, that are inviting for both boys and girls. The attached pillow is thin and transitional, perfect for toddlers of all ages.
The fleece bedding is soft and warm for maximum comfort. The whole set rolls up and fastens with Velcro to make a neat bundle. It includes a handle and is light enough for your toddler to carry.
If you are looking for a stylish bedroom set with all the matching accessories, this is a great addition.
- Matching pillow, mat, and blanket.
- Comprised of soft, lightweight material.
- Rolls into a bundle your toddler can carry.
- Not hypoallergenic.
- Not suitable for taller toddlers.
7. Cloudz Kids Plush Unicorn Neck Pillow
Best Travel Toddler Pillow
It can be tricky to find a pillow that works for your child when you’re traveling, especially one that is safe and stays in place.
This pillow was designed with an open, U-shaped curve to ensure your toddler is safe and supported when using it. Choose from a variety of soft polyester animal designs to keep your little one comfortable and entertained on your trip.
If you are looking for a unique and charming pillow for traveling, this is the one. It’s compact enough to bring along on any trip but supportive enough to do the job of a traditional pillow. Use it for travel in a stroller, car seat, or airplane.
The best part is that the cute design will make your little one think of this pillow as a stuffed animal, making nap times a fun adventure.
This pillow should be used for children 3 years of age and older.
- Multiple uses.
- Multifarious designs to choose from.
- 100% polyester material.
- Cute design and universal size.
- Fixed U-shaped cannot be straightened.
8. My Little North Star Pillowcase
Best Toddler Pillowcase
Once you’ve found the best toddler pillow for your little one, it’s time to match it with the perfect pillowcase.
We love this organic toddler pillowcase by My Little North Star. It’s simple, soft, and holds up well, even after multiple trips through the washer and dryer.
The fabric wraps around the pillow to fully encase it, meaning your toddler’s pillow won’t drop out when they drag it around and won’t shift out of place when they’re tossing and turning.
The simple star design is perfect for boys or girls and won’t distract them from sleep as other loud pillowcase graphics might.
- 100% organic cotton fabric is hypoallergenic.
- Soft, durable fabric is comfortable and lasts through many washes.
- Pillow is fully encased in the pillowcase.
- Made in the USA.
- May shrink some in the dryer.
The Bottom Line
Our top pick for the best toddler pillow is the KeaBabies Hypoallergenic Pillow.
The benefits are clear. You have the option to use the pillow with a pillowcase, or you can use the pillow solo. The hypoallergenic features make this a safe and healthy pillow for any child. And we love how comfortable and cozy it is.
It’s essential to find a pillow that’s safe and comfortable. If you notice your toddler has trouble sleeping, something as easy as a new pillow could make a world of difference.
The best pillow will be safe, supportive, healthy, and appropriate for your toddler — not to mention easy for you to clean when necessary!