- Meaning: The Hebrew translation of the name Jared is “to descend.”
- Gender: Jared is mostly a male name, but can be used for girls, who would take on the feminine Hebrew meaning “rose.”
- Origin: The origin of the name Jared is Hebrew. Jared was a man in the Bible – a close descendent of Adam and Eve.
- Pronunciation: “JEH-rid.”
- Popularity: The name is ranked the 394th most popular boys name in the United States.
- Nicknames: Jar, Jay, Jayrad, Jer, Jeri, Jerry.
- Variations: Garrett, Gerard, Jareth, Jarid, Jarrett, Jarrod, Jerod, and Yared.
- Namesakes: Jared Diamond, American geographer; (Jared) Drake Bell, American actor; Jared Leto, American actor.
- What Does Jared Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Jared?
- How Popular is the Name Jared?
- How Do I Pronounce Jared?
- Is Jared a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Jared
- Nicknames for Jared
- Similar Names to Jared
- Middle Names for Jared
- Sibling Names for Jared
- Famous People Named Jared
- Jared in Popular Culture
- Jared FAQs
What Does Jared Mean?
Jared, a popular name in Jewish and Christian circles, comes from biblical Hebrew origins. In Hebrew, it translates to “to descend,” “descent,” or “one who descends” (1).
Although Jared technically means “to descend,” it evokes modernness, strength, and genuineness. It sounds like the name of a kind leader.
What is the Origin of the Name Jared?
Jared is a biblical boy’s name. The Bible mentions the name Jared in Genesis 5:15-20. Jared descended in the sixth generation from Adam and Eve, and he was the father of Enoch and grandfather of Methuselah.
Jared was the second oldest man to ever live. He lived to be 162 years old. His son, Enoch, was one of the two men who never died, instead, he ascended to heaven at 365 years of age.
This family had a history of living for a long time. Enoch’s son, the grandson of Jared, was Methuselah. Methuselah was the longest living man ever; he lived 969 years!
Another possible origin for the name Jared is the Germanic boy name Gerard (3). This name has two components that illicit its meaning: ger, meaning “spear,” and hard, meaning “brave.” Some of the other names that have come from the name Gerard are Garrett, Gerald, Jarrett, and, of course, Jared.
How Popular is the Name Jared?
At present, Jared is a popular name. According to the Social Security Administration, it is ranked the 394th most popular name for boys in the United States (4). It was most popular in the year 2000 when it ranked the 56th most popular boy’s name.
How Do I Pronounce Jared?
The phonetic pronunciation of Jared is “JEH-rid,” and it is not often mispronounced.
Is Jared a Boy or Girl Name?
The name Jared is traditionally masculine. It has been used for girls before, but it is very rarely used as a female name. If parents decide to name their daughter Jared, the name takes on the more feminine Hebrew meaning “rose.”
Variations of Jared
There are very many variations of the name Jared. Alternative spellings are very common with this name. Some of these variations include:
- Garrett (Germanic, French)
- Gerard (Germanic)
- Jareth (English)
- Jarid (Hebrew)
- Jarrett (Germanic)
- Jarrod (Hebrew)
- Jerod (English)
- Yared (Hebrew)
Nicknames for Jared
While Jared is already a short name, nicknames are fun! Here are some for the name Jared:
Similar Names to Jared
Sometimes you adore a name, but you already know someone with that name! If that happens to you, you will want to hear names that feel the same. For names similar to Jared, here are some options:
Middle Names for Jared
Since Jared is a biblical name, it pairs well with other biblical names. The name also works well with names of Hebrew and Germanic origin. Some names include:
Sibling Names for Jared
Congratulations on your new little one! Here are some name suggestions for Jared’s new little brother or sister:
For a Brother:
For a Sister:
Famous People Named Jared
Jared is a popular name, so it is no surprise that you’ll find quite a few celebrities who share the name. Here are a few of the famous people named Jared:
- Jared Diamond: American geographer.
- (Jared) Drake Bell: American actor.
- Jared Fogle: Former American spokesperson for Subway.
- Jared Harris: British actor.
- Jared Leto: American actor.
- Jared Padalecki: American actor.
Jared in Popular Culture
While Jared is a popular name at present and during the last twenty years, it is not as popular in popular culture. Here are a few characters that share the name:
- Jared Dunn: Character from the TV show “Silicon Valley.”
- Jared Kleinman: Character from the musical “Dear Evan Hansen.”
- Jared Vasquez: Character from the TV show “Manifest.”
Did we answer all your questions? If not, check below for the answers to some frequently asked questions about the name Jared.