- Meaning: Ayla has a variety of meanings. It can mean “halo of light around the moon,” “moonlight,” “Halo,” “with the moon,” or even “oak tree.”
- Gender: Ayla is a name for girls. There are no popular variations for males.
- Origin: “Ayla” has origins in the Hebrew Bible but was popularized by Turkish communities across the globe. Since then, it has been adopted by other cultures all over.
- Pronunciation: Ayla is most commonly pronounced as “AY-luh.” This enhances the “A” sound. There are also versions in which it is said as “AI-luh.”
- Popularity: Ayla is a very popular name in Turkish communities, but it is also growing in popularity throughout the world. At the turn of the century, Ayla was ranked only in the top 900 names for girls, and now it’s in the top 150 in the US.
- Nicknames: Ay, La, Lala, Lonnie.
- Variations: Aila, Ajla, Aylin, Aylanur, Tülin.
- Namesakes: Ayla Algan, Turkish actress and singer.
- What Does the Name Ayla Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Ayla?
- How Popular Is the Name Ayla?
- How Do I Pronounce Ayla?
- Is Ayla a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Ayla
- Nicknames for Ayla
- Similar Names to Ayla
- Middle Names for Ayla
- Sibling Names for Ayla
- Famous People Named Ayla
- Ayla in Popular Culture
- Ayla FAQs
What Does the Name Ayla Mean?
Ayla is a Turkish girl’s name that is traditionally given to girls. The prefix “Ay” translates to “moon,” while the suffix “la” represents “presence with.”
Those are direct translations, and by combining the two syllables, they can take a few new meanings. One is “halo,” the other is “halo around the moon,” and the third is “with the moon”.
These variations all depend on different contexts in the Turkish language and how they are interpreted. The last meaning the name Ayla can take is “oak tree.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Ayla?
“Ayla” has Hebrew Bible origins. It was popularized in Turkey and is most commonly found there today. Since then, the name has spread all over the world.
It can often be confusing or mistaken for the name “Aliyah.”
How Popular Is the Name Ayla?
Ayla is a very popular name in Turkish communities throughout the world. However, the name Ayla is growing in popularity outside of Turkish culture across the globe. At the turn of the century, it was ranked only in the top 900 names for girls.
Now, the name Ayla is in the top 150 names for girls in the US, just shy of the top 130 in 2020 (1). In some countries, including Scotland, Ireland, and Australia, Ayla is in the top 100 names.
How Do I Pronounce Ayla?
Ayla is commonly pronounced as “AY-luh.” This enhances the long “A” sound.
There are also versions in which it is said as “AI-luh,” with a strong “I” sound in the beginning.
Is Ayla a Boy or Girl Name?
Ayla is most commonly a name given to girls. There are no popular male versions of it though some theorize that the boy name Elah is closely related.
Variations of Ayla
For being a name with such a long history and cultural roots, there are only a few variations on the name Ayla. Some of them include:
Nicknames for Ayla
For how many variations the name Ayla has, there aren’t many known nicknames. Some of those nicknames include:
Similar Names to Ayla
There are also a handful of names similar to Ayla. The following are some of those similar names:
Middle Names for Ayla
Ayla is a strong name, and the middle name can pair with some great secondary names. Some options include:
Sibling Names for Ayla
Many names go great alongside Ayla for a sibling, whether boy or girl. Some of them include:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Ayla
There are also many famous people named Ayla. Some of the most prominent include:
- Ayla: German DJ and producer of radio.
- Ayla Akat Ata: Lawyer and politician.
- Ayla Aksu: Turkish-American tennis star.
- Ayla Algan: Turkish actress and singer.
- Ayla Brown: American artist.
- Ayla Erduran: Turkish violin player.
- Ayla Huser: Swiss professional badminton player.
- Ayla Peksoylu: British-born singer, songwriter, actress, and model.
Ayla in Popular Culture
Many characters in pop culture have taken the name Ayla over the years. From books to movies and video games, here are some of the most notable characters you might recognize:
- Ayla: A character from the book Earth’s Children.
- Ayla: A character from the 1980s movie The Clan of the Cave Bear.
- Ayla Ranzz: A character from the DC Comics universe.
- Ayla: A character from the video game Chrono Trigger.
- Ayla: Character from the Turkish film Ayla.
There might be some other questions on your mind about the name Ayla. Let’s look at some of the most frequently asked questions and interesting tidbits concerning the name Ayla.