- Meaning: Maiden
- Gender: Feminine
- Origin: Greek
- Pronunciation: “KOR-ee” or “KOR”
- Popularity: Not popular in the US.
- Nicknames: Koko, Kor.
- Variations: Kora, Corey.
- Namesakes: Akshayraj Kore, Kore Tola, Prashant Kore.
What Does Kore Mean?
The name Kore means “maiden.”
What is the Origin of the Name Kore?
The name Kore is Greek and is the traditional form of the name Cora.
How Popular is the Name Kore?
Kore is not a common given name at all, and due to its lack of popularity, there is minimal ranking information for it throughout history. In the United States, the name ranked 13383rd most popular in 2021. Other versions, such as Cora, Corena, Corene, Corey, and Cori, are all significantly more common than Kore.
These names were generally popular in the 20th century. However, they dipped in popularity at the beginning of the 21st century. (1)
Kore is more common as a surname.
How Do I Pronounce Kore?
Pronounce the name Kore as “KOR-ee.” Some people may choose to pronounce it as “KOR.”
Is Kore a Boy or Girl Name?
Kore is a feminine first name and a surname.
Variations of Kore
Kore itself is a rare name, but there are several variations of this name that are more common throughout the world. Many of these variations are simply different spellings, while others are somewhat different.
Nicknames for Kore
Though Kore is a short name, it does lend itself well to nicknames. You can use either of the syllables of this name to create nicknames.
- Kor Shore
Similar Names to Kore
If you like the name Kore, but want something a little different, there are plenty of names with similarities to Kore. Consider names that have Greek origins, are less common, or have sounds in common.
Middle Names for Kore
Thanks to the simplicity of the name, you pair it with a wide range of middle names. It works well with long and short middle names alike. The middle name can follow the origin and popularity trend of Kore, or you can try a middle name that contrasts Kore. Middle names and first names often flow together well if there are sounds in common.
Sibling Names for Kore
When deciding on a name for Kore’s younger siblings, it is a good idea to choose names that fit with Kore, without preventing the younger siblings from having their own name identity, As a result, you may want sibling names that are Greek in origin or that have some sounds in common with Kore.
Famous People Named Kore
Since Kore is not a particularly well-known name, it is not very common among famous people. Most of the famous people who carry this name throughout history are from India, Japan, or Africa. However, the name spreads far beyond those areas.
- Kore: French-Algerian music producer.
- Kore Tola: Ethiopian runner.
- Kore Yamazaki: Japanese manga artist.
- Prabhakar Kore: Indian politician.
- Vinay Kore: Indian politician.
- Akshayraj Kore: Indian chess Grandmaster.
- Hirokazu Kore-eda: Japanese film director, screenwriter, producer, and editor.
- Stepan Kores: Czech football player.
- Prashant Kore: Indian cricketer.
Kore in Popular Culture
With a name as old and simple as Kore, it is not shocking that you can find the name sprinkled throughout history and different topics. The name may not have frequent use, but it does have a broad presence. Kore is the name of figures in the mythology systems of multiple cultures. It is also the name of comic and video game characters, as well as a moon of Jupiter.
- Kore: Alternative name for Persephone, Queen of the Underworld in Greek mythology.
- Kore: Comic from Josh Blaylock and Tim Seeley.
- Kore: Type of Greek sculpture.
- Kore: Energy drink.
- Kore: Moon of Jupiter (2).
- Kore: Alternative name for Koda language in India and Bangladesh.
- The Kore Gang: Video game.
- Kore: Demon in Albanian mythology.
These are some of the most popular questions about the name Kore.