- Meaning: Skylar means “student” or “scholar.”
- Gender: Skylar is a unisex name.
- Origin: Skylar is a name of German and Dutch origins.
- Pronunciation: “SKY-ler” in American English, “SKY-lar” in British English.
- Popularity: Skylar is a very popular name for girls, but not as popular for boys.
- Nicknames: Kai, KyKy, Lar, Lark, Sky, and Skye.
- Variations: Schuylar, Schuyler, Skye, Skyla, Skyler, Skyllar, and Skyler.
- Namesakes: Skylar Astin, Skylar Diggins-Smith, Skylar Grey, Skylar Johnson, Skylar Mays, Skylar Spence, Skylar Rutherford Thomas.
- What Does Skylar Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Skylar?
- How Popular Is the Name Skylar?
- How Do I Pronounce Skylar?
- Is Skylar a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Skylar
- Nicknames for Skylar
- Similar Names to Skylar
- Middle Names for Skylar
- Sibling Names for Skylar
- Famous People Named Skylar
- Skylar in Popular Culture
- Skylar FAQs
What Does Skylar Mean?
Skylar means “scholar.” All parents hope that their little one becomes smart and self-sufficient. This is a great name for parents aspiring for their baby to make a legacy.
What Is the Origin of the Name Skylar?
Skylar is of Dutch and German origin. It comes from the Dutch surname, Schuyler, which means “student” and “scholar.” This is why Skylar means “scholar” in modern English. The root name is mainly masculine, which is how Skylar became masculine in America. However, it became more popular as a girl name in the coming years.
The Greek root word σχολή translates as “skholi,” which is a place where scholars would talk when it was leisure time. The Latins borrowed “schola” from the word “skholi,” to make it a word that means “a place for educational instruction.” This is how Schuyler came to be as a given name before Skylar became more mainstream (1).
How Popular Is the Name Skylar?
Skylar is a very popular girl’s name ranking at #74 as of 2021 on Social Security’s top 100 baby girl names. As a girl name, Skylar ranked #562 in its first year on the top 1,000 baby girl names list in 1990. After dipping and rising through the 1990s, it remained in the 100s rankings from 1998 to 2011. It hit the top 100 in 2012 where it has stayed since then (2).
However, it is not as popular for boys. Skylar ranks in the 1200s as of 2022 (3). It was last in the top 1,000 list for boys in 2018 at #921. Skylar as a boy name was most popular in 2000 at rank #356. It entered the best 1,000 baby boy name list in 1981 at rank #960. Hence, Skylar as a boy name is around its same popularity ranking as it was in the 1980s.
How Do I Pronounce Skylar?
Americans pronounce Skylar by saying “SKY-ler.” In the United Kingdom, you pronounce the name “SKY-lar.”
Is Skylar a Boy or Girl Name?
Skylar is a unisex name, though it is more popular as a girl name. Alternatively, Skylar as a boy name is almost at the bottom of the list of most popular male names.
Variations of Skylar
Skylar has different spellings and similar-sounding names. Here are some name variations that we love for Skylar:
Nicknames for Skylar
Skylar is a two-syllable name with quirky one-syllable nicknames. These are the nicknames that we love for babies named Skylar:
Similar Names to Skylar
Skylar has other modern names that are unique and sound almost alike. Here is what is similar to Skylar we wished to highlight:
Middle Names for Skylar
Skylar is whimsical and witty and pairs well with many different names. These are the middle names that we believe go well with Skylar:
Sibling Names for Skylar
If you have a boy or girl named Skylar, it is time to think of a matching sibling name. Here are some brother and sister names that we love to match Skylar:
For a Brother:
For a Sister:
Famous People Named Skylar
Since Skylar has remained popular for the last 30 years, there are multiple celebrities named Skylar. Here are the famous people that we wanted to highlight with this name:
- Skylar Astin: American actor.
- Skylar Diggins-Smith: American National Basketball Association player.
- Skylar Grey: American record producer, songwriter, singer, and musician.
- Skylar Johnson: Son of retired National Football League player, Damaris Jonhson.
- Skylar Mays: American National Basketball Association player.
- Skylar Spence: American singer.
- Skylar Rutherford Thomas: Canadian-born soccer player.
Skylar in Popular Culture
Skylar’s popularity through the 1990s means that there are multiple pop culture references to the name. These are the pop culture references we love for the name Skylar:
- Skylar: Fictional character in the film, “Good Will Hunting” (1997).
- Skylar Bergman: Character in the reality television series, “Baywatch.”
- Skylar Sinclair: Fictional character in the video game, “The Saboteur.”
- Skylar Stevens: Fictional character in the reality television series, “Jericho.”
- Skyler Morse: Character in the adult cartoon, “South Park.”
- Skyler “Skye” Miller: Fictional character in the novel “13 Reasons Why.” Tuned into a Netflix show in 2017, she featured in the first two seasons.
Skylar is a great baby boy or girl name. But we know you have other name options to consider. These are answers to your most frequently asked questions about the name Skylar.
What Names Rhyme With Skylar?
If you want to find a name that rhymes with Skylar, here are some choices:
What Is the Spiritual Meaning of Skyler?
The spiritual meaning of Skyler is “shelter” and “protection.” Hence, some Christian people like this name for their children because of its deeply spiritual meaning.
What Does Skylar Mean in Irish?
In Irish, Skylar means “isle of the sky.” This name’s meaning may make parents believe that being in their child’s presence means they are up in the sky as they enjoy their time together.