Who doesn’t love a good pair of yoga pants?
They’re comfy, flattering, and non-restrictive. Paired with the right top, they can even be stylish. It’s no wonder they’ve become the unofficial “uniform” of motherhood.
If you’re pregnant, you probably want a good pair of maternity yoga pants to keep you comfy for the duration of your gestation.
But with all the options on the market, which one is best?
Here is everything you need to know before you buy your next pair – and recommendations on which one to pick to match your style.
|1. PattyBoutik Shaping Series||Your Booty|
|2. Beachcoco Fold Overs||Plus-Size Women|
|3. Motherhood Petite Secret Fit||Petite|
|4. Jinson Lounge Pants||Everyday Wear|
|5. Appleletics Printed Flare||Wide Leg|
|6. HDE Women’s||Cotton|
|7. C9 Champion||Non-See-Through|
|8. Beachcoco Knee Cropped||Budget Pick|
|9. Ingrid & Isabel||Short Legs|
|10. Cloya Women’s||Over The Belly|
Why Do Moms Love Yoga Pants?
Yoga pants have developed a reputation as a popular everyday clothing choice for mothers these days – both during pregnancy and in the years immediately following.
This is for several reasons.
- Comfort: For most mothers, comfort is key. If you’re running after littles or trying to get through the work day while pregnant, you don’t want to be tugging on uncomfortable clothes.
- Movement: Mamas are always on the move. Whether they’re bending down to wipe up a spill, playing on the floor with their little one, or are just constantly shifting around to find the most comfortable place for their pregnant belly, yoga pants are non-restrictive and allow for freedom of movement.
- Ease: With such a wide range of silhouettes (and since black seems to be the most popular color), yoga pants are easy to find a top to pair with. Plus, since they’re all stretchy and elastic, pulling them on is a breeze.
- Forgiving: Our bodies change during pregnancy, and nobody likes the constant reminder that they’re rapidly expanding – or that they haven’t bounced back quite like they had hoped. With yoga pants, there are no zippers or buttons to remind us that we haven’t quite returned to our former selves.
- Support: The gentle spandex provides support and (dare we even say?) shape to our bodies to make us feel more confident. Even if we’re not working out on the regular, yoga pants can make us feel like we’ve been.
What Should I Look For In Yoga Pants?
When choosing the best yoga pant for you, there are a number of things to consider.
- Where you plan to wear them: Are you looking for yoga pants to do yoga? If so, you want fitted ones that won’t slide up your leg when you’re in a pose (source). Do you just want comfy pants that will pass for black trousers at the office? Then you want straight-leg, unfitted pants. Think about the look you’re going for prior to purchasing your pants, and choose a pair that mirrors that silhouette.
- What you plan to wear them with: Do you have a bunch of long maternity tunics? Then fitted, cropped yoga pants will look cute – almost like capri leggings. Do you wear tighter tops to show off your growing bump? Then flare-legged pants will provide a nice balance to your shape. After you buy your pants you want to make sure you’ve got complete outfits, so survey your wardrobe and see what kind of pants will best complement your existing clothes.
- What type of fit you need: Fit is important – this cannot be overstated. Even though yoga pants are known for their stretch, if you don’t choose the proper size they can instantly become see-through and lead to embarrassing situations. Compare your size to the sizing chart of the pants you are purchasing, and buy ones accordingly.
- What fabric they’re made of: Cotton is often held as the gold-standard natural material, but it’s actually a terrible choice if you’re using your pants as workout gear. Even though cotton removes sweat from your skin, it absorbs and holds onto it – leaving your clothes damp. So cotton is a comfy, soft, great, and breathable fabric if you’re wearing your pants to work or around the house.But if you’re actually exercising? Choose a synthetic fabric like polyester to wick the sweat and moisture away from your skin and leave you feeling comfortable and dry during your workout (source).
The Best Maternity Yoga Pants of 2018
Now that you know about the benefits of yoga pants during pregnancy, and exactly what to look for when buying a great pair —
Here are our top 13 picks in 2018:
The flowing fabric coupled with the straight-leg design are just what you need if you’re hoping to flatter your figure.
Made in the USA of rayon and spandex, these pants are super soft and comfy.
You can also wear the waistband over your belly or roll it down if you prefer.
Made of 95% cotton with just a touch of spandex, these pants are available up to size 3XL.
With a slight flare at the bottom which helps give a flattering visual appeal that’s different from a workout pant or legging, these pants can be versatile in many different situations.
There are several neutral-colored options if you’re hoping to pass them as regular trousers, but also many bold-colored belly band choices too, if you’re going for that extra fun pop of color.
From the maternity-clothes experts at Motherhood Maternity come yoga pants designed specifically for expectant mamas of short stature and fitted with their patented “secret fit belly.”
Made of cotton and spandex, these pants are also boot-cut, giving visual balance to your frame (and extra space for your ankles when they’re swollen).
Who said yoga pants have to be boring and black?
These pants come in several different colorful designs to match your personality, and care is easy as they can go in both your washer and dryer.
Made of polyester and elastane, these pants can also help keep you cool as they are breathable and will help to wick away moisture.
Made of 95% cotton with a hint of 5% spandex to give you that soft stretch you crave, these fun pants come with a colored band in the belly to give you that extra POP.
While they’re definitely workout pants (no fooling anyone if you wear these on date night, mom), sometimes comfort beats fashion – especially when you’re expecting.
With a slight flare at the bottom, these pants make for a flattering silhouette and can be worn during all seasons – and may even work for you after baby is born.
The wide-leg design flows all the way to the floor, giving your legs more room for comfort – and a visually slimming effect.
Less fabric against the skin means less itching, chafing, and sensitivity – especially during those final months of pregnancy.
Made of rayon and spandex, these super-sleek pants can either be worn above the belly, or rolled down if you prefer to leave your tummy bare.
A blend of shapeware and athletic wear, these pants can help give your booty a lift while still giving you plenty of supportive coverage so you’re not self-conscious.
They are machine washable and come in a wide range of sizes for multiple body types.
This pant offers both quality and versatility. The belly panel is not simply an extra band of fabric as offered in other pants, but is actually a four-way panel that is designed to provide support in all directions as your belly grows.
What’s more, you can fold down the panel to wear it in the early stages of pregnancy or in your postnatal period.
Finally, the stitching was designed to be flat to minimize uncomfortable chafing.
Made primarily of polyester (instead of the traditional cotton), these pants will provide functionality with full coverage.
They are soft and have stretch, but the material helps to wick away moisture and won’t give your neighbor on the next mat at your prenatal yoga class an eyeful when you bend over.
Made of 95% cotton with just a touch of spandex, these pants are not only a light touch on your skin, but also your wallet.
With a flattering belly band that can be worn up or down based on your own comfort preferences, these cropped pants will provide comfort through the warmer months – and you won’t even have any mom-guilt for buying them because they were so cheap.
Made of nylon and spandex, these pants are designed to grow with you – which helps keep the fit snug and proper throughout your pregnancy.
The belly panel is higher in the front and lower in the back (providing coverage and support, but also comfort and breathability), and the stitching is designed to minimize chafing.
This is important not only in the thigh area, but extra important in the belly panel which can otherwise irritate your tummy and cause it to itch.
If you’re 5’9 or taller, this pair of pants just might be your new best friend. With an inseam over 36 inches, they’ve got extra length to cover your ankles so you can walk around free of self-consciousness.
Made of cotton and spandex, these pants provide both fashion and function – and if you’re sneaky, you might even get away with wearing them to the office, too.
While these aren’t technically maternity pants, they’re forgiving enough that you could get away with buying a size or two up and wearing them under your belly – at least during early pregnancy.
And they’ll definitely remain a staple after your baby arrives.
Made of thicker material, you won’t have to worry about the embarrassing transparency issue.
The mid-rise cut will give you a little extra belly support when you’re recovering postpartum, and the flattering boot-cut silhouette will help your figure to look sleek.
My Favorite Is…
My favorite pants of the bunch are the PattyBoutik Women’s Shaping Series Bootcut Yoga Pants.
Not only do they give you a nice little shape, but the thickness of the material gives you confidence you won’t be accidentally putting on a show if you bend over.
In addition, the cute crop silhouette is perfect for pairing with a tunic and sandals for a comfy and stylish outfit that would be super simple to throw together. And since it’s made from a synthetic material, it would even serve you well if you wore it to the gym.
Which pants are your fave? Tell us how you’d wear them!