Who doesn’t love a good pair of yoga pants?
They’re comfy, flattering, and non-restrictive. Paired with the right top, they can even be stylish. It’s no wonder they’ve become the unofficial “uniform” of motherhood.
If you’re pregnant, you probably want a pair of the best maternity yoga pants to keep you comfy for the duration of your gestation.
But with all the options on the market, which one is best?
Here’s everything you need to know before you buy your next pair — and recommendations on which one to pick to match your style.
Quick ComparisonOur Top Maternity Yoga Pants Picks of 2020 Read Full Reviews
Why Do Moms Love Yoga Pants?
Yoga pants have developed a reputation as a popular everyday clothing choice for mothers these days, both during pregnancy and in the years immediately following.
This is for several reasons.
- Comfort: For most mothers, comfort is key. If you’re running after littles or trying to get through the work day while pregnant, you don’t want to be tugging on uncomfortable clothes.
- Movement: Mamas are always on the move. Whether they’re bending down to wipe up a spill, playing on the floor with their little one, or are just constantly shifting around to find the most comfortable position for their pregnant belly, yoga pants are non-restrictive and allow for freedom of movement.
- Ease: With such a wide range of silhouettes (and since black seems to be the most popular color), yoga pants are easy to pair with all kinds of tops. Plus, since they’re stretchy, pulling them on is a breeze.
- Forgiving: Our bodies change during pregnancy, and nobody likes the constant reminder that they’re rapidly expanding, or that they haven’t bounced back quite like they’d hoped. With yoga pants, there are no zippers or buttons to remind us that we haven’t quite returned to our former selves.
- Support: The gentle spandex provides support and (dare we even say?) shape to our bodies to make us feel more confident. Even if we’re not working out on the regular, yoga pants can make us feel like we have been.
Choosing the Best Pregnant Yoga Pants
Here are some things to consider when shopping for maternity yoga pants:
- Where you plan to wear them: Are you looking for pants to do yoga? If so, you want fitted ones that won’t slide up your leg when you’re in a pose (1). Do you just want comfy pants that will pass for black trousers at the office? Then you want straight-leg, unfitted pants. Think about the look you’re going for before purchasing your pants, and choose a pair that mirrors that silhouette.
- What you plan to wear them with: Do you have a bunch of long maternity tunics? Then fitted, cropped yoga pants will look cute, almost like Capri leggings. Do you wear tighter tops to show off your growing bump? Then flare-legged pants will provide a nice balance to your shape. After you buy your pants you want to make sure you’ve got complete outfits, so survey your clothing and see what kind of pants will best complement your existing wardrobe.
- What type of fit you need: Fit is important — this cannot be overstated. Even though yoga pants are known for their stretch, if you don’t choose the proper size they can instantly become see-through and lead to embarrassing situations. Consult the brand’s sizing chart, and choose accordingly.
- What fabric they’re made of: Cotton is often held as the gold-standard natural material, but it’s actually a terrible choice if you’re using your pants as workout gear. Even though cotton wicks sweat from your skin, it absorbs and holds onto it, leaving your clothes damp. So cotton is a comfy, soft, and breathable fabric if you’re wearing your pants to work or around the house. But if you’re actually exercising? Choose a synthetic fabric like polyester to wick sweat and moisture from your skin and leave you feeling comfortable and dry during your workout (2).
The Best Maternity Yoga Pants of 2020
So few clothing items can do as much for you like a pair of the best pregnant yoga pants: they’re comfy, versatile, and if you get the right pair they can be miraculously flattering from behind, if you know what I mean.
Here are our top 13 picks for 2020:
1. Ingrid & Isabel Active Capri
Sometimes, your legs need to breathe. Capri yoga pants are a great compromise between shorts and full-coverage pants. Wear them to the gym if you’d like, but I’d rather pair them with a cute maternity tunic for an easy, effortless, stylish outfit.
This pair offers both quality and versatility. The belly panel is not simply an extra band of fabric as you see in other pants, but is actually a four-way panel designed to provide support in all directions as your belly grows.
What’s more, you can fold down the panel in the early stages of pregnancy or in your postnatal period.
Finally, the stitching was designed to lay flat to minimize uncomfortable chafing.
2. PattyBoutik Crop Leg Yoga Maternity Pants
Pregnant women often experience back pain, leading to miserable days and sleepless nights. If this describes your experience, a pair of yoga pants designed to support your back can help. Look for a pair with a specially designed back and super stretchy, but supportive material.
PattyBoutik has created pair of yoga pants specifically designed for pregnant woman struggling with back pain. With full tummy support and a fashionable mid-calf cut, they’re great for everyday use.
Back pain can occur during pregnancy when your body has a hard time supporting your growing belly. These pants have a form-fitting 3D cut with a full-coverage front panel. Your belly is supported without excess pressure being placed on any specific point.
Maternity yoga pants often have a tummy panel, but not many pay attention to other areas of the garment. We like this pair because of the special v-shaped back design. It provides even more support for your tummy while also reducing lower back pressure.
The material for the pant is made of a soft, stretchy blend of nylon and spandex. It’s moderately thick so you get decent coverage, but also breathable for comfort.
3. PattyBoutik Shaping Series Yoga Pants
Just because you’re pregnant doesn’t mean you don’t care about your shape. Choosing the right yoga pants can help mould your booty and keep your derriere looking good... even if the rest of you feels a little frumpy.
A blend of shapewear and athletic wear, these pants can help give your butt a lift while still giving plenty of supportive coverage so you’re not self-conscious.
They’re machine washable and come in a wide range of sizes for multiple body types.
4. Beachcoco Fold Over Lounge Pants
Just because yoga pants are stretchy, doesn’t mean that size and fit don’t matter. To ensure maximum comfort (and to prevent embarrassing situations such as see-through bottoms), it’s important to choose a pair that was made to fit your body. If you’re a plus-size woman, here’s a great option to consider.
Made of 95 percent cotton with just a touch of spandex, these pants are available up to size 3XL.
With a slight flare at the bottom which gives a flattering outline that’s different from workout pants or leggings, these can be worn in many different situations.
There are several neutral-colored options if you’re hoping to pass them off as regular trousers, but also many bold-colored belly band choices too, if you’re going for that extra fun pop of color.
5. Evacus Versatile Lounge Pants
You want bottoms that feel like yoga pants but look like legit trousers? No problem — choose a solid-color pair with a straight leg; tapered, form-fitting bottoms scream workout gear, which won't fly at the office.
The wide-leg design flows all the way to the floor, giving your legs more room for comfort, and a visually slimming effect.
Less fabric against the skin means less itching, chafing, and sensitivity, especially during those final months of pregnancy.
Made of rayon and spandex, these super-sleek pants can either be worn above the belly, or rolled down if you prefer to leave your tummy bare.
6. Motherhood Petite Secret Fit Yoga Pants
Not all bodies are built the same. If you’re 5’3 or under, you’re likely best served in the “petite” section to keep from having your pant legs drag on the floor. Petite pants are made with a shorter inseam to fit your shorter stature.
From the maternity clothing experts at Motherhood Maternity come yoga pants designed specifically for expectant mamas of short stature, and they’re fitted with their patented “secret fit belly.”
Made of cotton and spandex, these pants are also boot-cut, giving visual balance to your frame (and extra space for your ankles when they’re swollen).
7. Cloya Active Capri Pant
While some women prefer below-the-belly waistbands to prevent rubbing on their itchy, sensitive tummy (especially later in pregnancy), there’s no denying the support that over-the-belly waistbands can provide. In addition, they prevent you from showing too much skin when you bend over or lift your arms, so they're a good option for moms who prefer to dress more modestly
Made of nylon and spandex, these pants are designed to grow with you, and keep the fit snug and proper throughout your pregnancy.
The belly panel is higher in the front and lower in the back, providing coverage and support without compromising on comfort or breathability. The stitching is also designed to minimize chafing.
This is important not only in the thigh area, but in the belly panel which can otherwise irritate your tummy and cause it to itch.
8. Beachcoco Wide/Straight Comfortable Pants
You want comfort and movement, not restriction and wedgies. Choosing a pair of pants that provides extra room in the thigh can keep you comfy.
The flowing fabric coupled with the straight-leg design is just what you need if you’re hoping to flatter your figure.
Made in the USA of rayon and spandex, these pants are super soft and comfy.
You can also wear the waistband over your belly or roll it down if you prefer.
9. HDE Lounge Pregnancy Pants
When you’re pregnant, you don’t want uncomfortable materials rubbing up against your sensitive skin. Sometimes it feels best to stick with the basics, and cotton has been the soft, go-to material for years.
Made of 95 percent cotton with a 5 percent hint of spandex to give you that soft stretch you want, these fun pants come with a colored band in the belly to give you that extra POP.
While they’re definitely workout pants (no fooling anyone if you wear these on date night, sorry), sometimes comfort beats fashion, especially when you’re expecting.
With a slight flare at the bottom, these pants make for a flattering silhouette that can be worn during all seasons — and may even work for you after baby is born.
10. Belly Mama Maternity Yoga Pants
If you wanted capri pants, you’d order capri pants. If you’re of above-average height, make sure you get the full coverage you want by ordering pants that are made specifically for tall women. “Tall” sizes come with a longer inseam to cover your whole leg, all the way down to the ankle.
If you’re 5’9 or taller, this pair of pants just might be your new best friend. With an inseam over 36 inches, they’ve got extra length to cover your ankles so you can walk around confidently.
Made of cotton and spandex, these provide both fashion and function— and if you’re sneaky, you might even get away with wearing them to the office, too.
11. Fishers Finery Yoga Pants with Pockets
Whether it’s a hair tie, a tissue, or the rock that your toddler just picked up and can’t bear to part with, you’ve always got things in your pockets. With these pants, you don’t have to trade pockets for comfort. You get both.
While these aren’t technically maternity pants, they’re forgiving enough that you could get away with buying a size or two up and wearing them under your belly, at least during early pregnancy. And they’ll definitely remain a staple after your baby arrives.
Made of thicker material, you won’t have to worry about the embarrassing transparency issue.
The mid-rise cut will give you a little extra belly support when you’re recovering postpartum, and the flattering boot-cut silhouette will help your figure look sleek.
12. Beachcoco Knee Cropped Active Lounge Pants
I get it. If you’re only wearing maternity pants for a few short months, you don’t want to spend a fortune. The good news is that you can get quality and comfort for cheap these days.
Made of 95 percent cotton with just a touch of spandex, these pants are not only a light touch on your skin, but also your wallet.
With a flattering belly band that can be worn up or down based on your own preferences, these cropped pants will provide comfort through the warmer months — and you won’t have any mom-guilt for buying them because they were so cheap.
13. C9 Champion Under the Belly Cardio Pants
You remember that big hullabaloo from a few years back when that popular fitness clothing company was slammed for making yoga pants that were essentially transparent? Well, don’t let that happen to you. Choose pants that are thick enough to provide full coverage — and even though they’re designed to stretch, don’t stretch them to their limits or you're asking for trouble.
Made primarily of polyester (instead of the traditional cotton), these pants will provide functionality with full coverage.
They’re soft and have ample stretch, but the material still wicks away moisture and won’t give your neighbor on the next mat an eyeful when you bend over at your next prenatal yoga class.