If you’re shopping for a nursery rug, you want to ensure it has everything you need — a soft surface for crawlers and early walkers that’s warm for floor play, durable, and easy to clean. But not every nursery rug meets these criteria.
We’ve tested and evaluated dozens of products and found many to be lacking in quality and comfort. So we’ve designed this guide to help you know what to look for and to highlight the best nursery rugs currently on the market.
Read our detailed reviews to learn the pros and cons of our 10 top selections. We’re sure you’ll find the perfect rug for your nursery from our list of quality options. The only challenging part will be narrowing the selection to just one rug!
- Vibrant colors
- A choice of fun themes
- Handmade details
- Super soft and easy to clean
- Available in various themes
- Suited with non-slide gel
- Trendy design
- Soft and comfy to walk on
- Resistant to wear, stains, and fading
- Cloud-like softness
- Durable materials
- Machine washable
- Will look upscale in the nursery
- Top-notch materials
- Soft for small feet
- Eco-friendly material
- Thick and fluffy surface
- Adorable cloud design
- Hand-tufted weave
- Soft material
- Super cute
- Fluffy and soft
- Great size for a nursery
- Cute design and elegant gray colors
- Skin-friendly, high-quality material
- Serves several purposes
- High-quality materials
- Fun design with eye-catching colors
- Good pile height of 0.5 inches
Review Methodology: At Mom Loves Best, we pride ourselves on our rigorous approach toward analyzing and comparing the best nursery rugs. Our experienced team performs hands-on tests and assessments, collecting real-time data and evidence to evaluate the performance, design, and user experience of each rug. We identify key decision-making factors such as material, size, durability, and safety standards, then rank and review the products based on these criteria. Our findings are rooted in fact, offering you an honest, professional, and thorough benchmark to guide your choices. We’re committed to helping you find the best product for your needs.
The Best Nursery Rugs of 2023
Here are the ten best nursery rugs to consider.
Momeni Lil' Mo Whimsy Rug
Best Themed Nursery Rug
If you have a theme in your nursery, this multi-color, robot-themed rug may fit right in. It’s a quirky style with vibrant colors, adding a fun element to the room. And if robots aren’t your thing, you can choose from a wide variety of other themes, such as airplanes, ocean, garden, hot air balloons, and many more.
One thing we love about this rug is that the details are handmade. Every aspect adds depth and definition, allowing the design to pop.
Underneath, there’s an additional layer of plush, providing extra comfort for petite hands and feet.
- The vibrant colors add a level of brightness and interest to the nursery.
- Comes in a variety of sizes, themes, and your choice of round or rectangular.
- Handmade details.
- Soft yet durable.
- The dark color makes lint, fuzz, and other debris stand out on the rug.
Mybecca Street Map Kids Rug
Best Play Rug for Nursery
This city-inspired rug works great for a themed nursery, and once your little one is older, they can use it for playtime. It’s good for imaginative play and tummy time. It’s available in five sizes, ranging from 3.25 feet by 4.75 inches to 8 feet by 11 feet.
The rug is easy to clean and is made with high-quality nylon, and Mybecca promotes it for use indoors and outdoors. The rug is suited with a non-slide gel on the underside to keep it steady on the floor.
- The city theme is fun for tummy time.
- Super soft and easy to clean.
- Available in various themes.
- Suited with non-slide gel on the underside.
- The rug is available in different sizes, and unfortunately, the smaller sizes don’t show the whole picture.
- The rug is thin, meaning it may not be extremely comfortable on hard flooring.
Shag Trellis Area Rug By Ottomanson
Best Modern Nursery Rug
From Ottomanson’s Shag Collection, this sophisticated yet straightforward rug is a good pick for the modern nursery. The rug sports a trendy look, which is easy to style and goes well with nearly any decor. It’s available in four colors — gray, navy, turquoise, and orange.
You’ll love walking on this rug whenever you are in the nursery. It’s made of 100% polypropylene and is plush and comfy. It’s fuss-free and resistant to stains and wear.
- Trendy design.
- Available in four colors.
- Soft and comfy to walk on.
- Resistant to wear, stains, and fading.
- It requires a thorough steam cleaning after arriving. It seems that it’s covered in a chemical coating.
Kroma Carpets Faux Sheepskin Area Rug
Softest Nursery Rug
This pick from Kroma Carpets is a faux sheepskin rug that’s shaped like a cloud.
The super-soft cloud is perfect for use as a playmat and during tummy time. It’s an excellent size for placing in front of the crib — it will comfort your feet during those midnight feedings.
Additionally, it’s machine washable on a gentle cycle, so don’t worry about spills and spit-ups.
- Cloud-like softness.
- Durable materials.
- Great size for a small nursery.
- Machine washable.
- Moves around easily — requires rug tape.
- It gathers dirt fairly quickly.
- Rather expensive for its small size.
NuLoom Moroccan Blythe Area Rug
Best Moroccan-styled Nursery Rug
If you love being unique, then you may adore this Moroccan rug from NuLoom. It’s not your traditional nursery rug, but it’s stunning and will add a wow factor to the room.
The rug centers around a traditional tribal-inspired pattern, and it’s stunning. The subtle colors make it contemporary-friendly, almost rustic-looking.
This rug also delivers when it comes to materials. It’s crafted with durable polypropylene that’s soft and easy to clean.
- It will look upscale in the nursery.
- Top-notch materials.
- Soft for small feet.
- Has a smell to it after unwrapping, which requires time to dissipate.
Andecor Shaggy Floor Area Rug
Best Fluffy Nursery Rug
We love a good fluffy rug, and this one from And Beyond Inc. did not disappoint us. For starters, it’s made of environmental materials and is 1.57 inches thick. It features a sponge in the center to soothe tired feet.
On the underside, it’s fitted with a non-slip material to keep it steady on the floor. The rug comes in an elegant gray that suits a nursery perfectly.
- Eco-friendly material that’s easy to clean.
- Thick and fluffy surface
- Fitted with non-slip material.
- More budget-friendly than some other rugs on the list.
- The gray color has a blue tint, which may upset the decor.
NuLoom Sachiko Cloudy Nursery Rug
Best Cloud-Inspired Nursery Rug
This NuLoom cloud-inspired nursery rug is to die for. It’s so adorable you’ll have another reason to love your nursery.
It’s a hand-tufted weave made of 100% polyester. The pile height is 0.75 inches, providing ample comfort for tummy time.
It’s available in blue or pink, so you can choose the best fit for your nursery. You can pick between different sizes and shapes as well. Great for any nursery style.
- Adorable cloud design.
- Hand-tufted weave.
- Soft material.
- Multiple color, size, and shape options available.
- Doesn’t stay in place well on the floor, which can be a slipping or tripping hazard.
Pagisofe Shaggy Colored Fluffy Rug
Best Nursery Rug for Girls
For your little girl’s nursery, we found this cloud-like rug from Pagisofe. It’s made of soft synthetic microfiber measuring approximately 1.2 inches long, giving it a fur-like feel.
There are multiple color and size options to choose from, including various pastel shades, modern bolds, and bright colors. This beautiful rug measures 4 feet by 6 feet, which is an ideal size for the average nursery.
- Super cute design with many colors and sizes.
- Fluffy and soft for ultimate foot comfort.
- Great size for a nursery.
- Not that thick — only the hairs are long.
Gabwe Round Giraffe Nursery Rug
Best Multi-Purpose Nursery Rug
This rug has several uses. The manufacturer advertises that you can use it as a rug, crawling blanket, or stroller blanket. The rounded rug sports a cute giraffe theme in grayish hues. It’s soft, meaning you can use it for play and tummy time.
Your little one will love spending time on this giraffe, which is made of high-quality cotton. It measures 35.43 inches in diameter.
- Cute giraffe design and elegant gray colors.
- High-quality materials are soft and skin-friendly.
- Serves several purposes.
- The rug doesn’t wash well and may become unevenly leveled.
NuLoom Pinkie Handprint Nursery Rug
Best Hand-Printed Nursery Rug
If you’re looking for something a little different yet still fun, we recommend this rug from NuLoom. It’s a high-quality white rug. The fun element is the children’s handprints featured throughout the rug.
The handprints sport vibrant colors that pop against the white base. This rug is constructed in Turkey and made of 100% polypropylene fibers. It has a pile height of 0.5 inches.
- High-quality materials.
- Fun design with eye-catching colors.
- Good pile height of 0.5 inches.
- Several sizes are available.
- Doesn’t sit well on the floor — requires rug tape.
How to Choose a Nursery Rug
If you’re crafty and have some time on your hands, you can make your own rug.