Is your bundle of joy arriving soon and you’re putting the finishing touches on the nursery? Do you have a crib, drawers, and a changing table, but something is still missing? How about a rug?
You might have already searched for a rug to complete your baby’s room. The choice is so vast, though, that getting the right one is easier said than done. Don’t worry, we’ll help you find the best nursery rugs out there.
- Vibrant colors
- A choice of fun themes
- Handmade details
- Cute design and elegant gray colors
- Skin-friendly high-quality material
- Serves several purposes
- Super soft and easy to clean
- Available in various themes
- Suited with non-slide gel
- High-quality materials
- Fun design with eye-catching colors
- Good pile height of 0.5 inches
- Trendy design
- Soft and comfy to walk on
- Resistant to wear, stains, and fading
- Cloud-like softness
- Durable materials
- Machine washable
- Will look upscale in the nursery
- Top-notch materials
- Soft for small feet
- Eco-friendly material
- Thick and fluffy surface
- Adorable cloud design
- Hand-tufted weave
- Soft material
- Super cute
- Fluffy and soft
- Great size for a nursery
The Best Nursery Rugs of 2023
Here are the ten best nursery rugs to consider.
1. Momeni Lil' Mo Whimsy Rug
Best Savannah-Themed Nursery Rug
If you have a theme going on in your nursery, this multi-color, robot-themed rug may fit right in. It’s a quirky style with vibrant colors, adding a fun element to the room.
One thing we love about this rug is that the details are handmade. Every aspect adds depth and definition, allowing the design to pop.
Underneath, there’s an additional layer of plush, providing extra comfort for petite hands and feet.
- Vibrant colors.
- A choice of fun themes.
- Handmade details.
- Soft yet durable.
- The colors in the photos are muted — they’re much more vibrant in real life, which may be a drawback for some.
2. Gabwe Round Giraffe Nursery Rug
Best Multi-Purpose Nursery Rug
This rug has several uses. The rounded rug sports a cute giraffe theme in grayish hues. It’s soft, meaning you can use it for play and tummy time.
Your little one will love spending time on this giraffe, which is made of high-quality cotton. The manufacturer advertises that you can use it as a rug, crawling blanket, or for the stroller. It measures 35.43 inches in diameter.
- Cute giraffe design and elegant gray colors.
- High-quality material making it soft and skin-friendly.
- Serves several purposes.
- The rug doesn’t wash well and may become unevenly leveled.
Best Play Rug for Nursery
This city-inspired rug works great for a themed nursery, and once your little one is older, they can use it for playtime. It’s good for imaginative play as well as tummy time. It’s available in five sizes, ranging from 3 feet 3 inches by 4 feet 9 inches to 8 feet by 11 feet.
The rug is easy to clean, and Mybecca promotes it for use indoors and outdoors. The materials used are high-quality nylon. On the underside, the rug is suited with a non-slide gel to keep it steady on the floor.
- The city theme is fun for tummy time.
- Super soft and easy to clean.
- Available in various themes.
- Suited with non-slide gel on the underside.
- The rug is available in different sizes, and unfortunately, the small sizes don’t show the whole picture.
- The rug is thin, meaning it may not be extremely comfortable on hard flooring.
4. NuLoom Pinkie Handprint Nursery Rug
Best Hand-Printed Nursery Rug
If you’re looking for something a little different, yet still fun, we recommend this rug from NuLoom. It’s a high-quality white rug. The fun element is the children’s handprints featured throughout the rug.
The handprints sport vibrant colors that pop against the white base. This rug is constructed in Turkey and made of 100 percent polypropylene fibers. It has a pile height of 0.5 inches.
- High-quality materials.
- Fun design with eye-catching colors.
- Good pile height of 0.5 inches.
- Several sizes are available.
- Doesn’t sit well on the floor — requires rug tape.
5. Shag Trellis Area Rug By Ottomanson
Best Modern Nursery Rug
From Ottomanson’s Shag Collection, this sophisticated yet straightforward rug is a good pick for the modern nursery. The rug sports a trendy look, which is easy to style and goes well with nearly any decor. It’s available in four colors — gray, navy, turquoise and orange.
You’ll love walking on this rug whenever in the nursery. Ottomanson made it of 100 percent polypropylene — it’s plush and comfy. It’s fuss-free and resistant to stains and wear.
- Trendy design.
- Available in four colors.
- Soft and comfy to walk on.
- Resistant to wear, stains, and fading.
- It requires thorough steam clean after arriving. It seems that it’s covered in a chemical coating.
6. Kroma Carpets Faux Sheepskin Area Rug
Best Nursery Rug for Cloud-Like Softness
This pick from Kroma Carpets is a faux sheepskin rug that’s shaped like a cloud.
The super-soft cloud is perfect for a playmat, and when doing tummy time. It’s an excellent size for placing in front of the crib — it will comfort your feet during those midnight feedings.
Additionally, it’s machine washable on a gentle cycle, so don’t worry about spills and spit ups.
- Cloud-like softness.
- Durable materials.
- Great size for a small nursery.
- Machine washable.
- Moves around easily, it requires rug tape.
- It gathers dirt fairly quickly.
- Rather expensive for its small size.
7. NuLoom Moroccan Blythe Area Rug
Best Oriental-Styled Nursery Rug
If you love being unique, then you may adore this Oriental-themed rug from NuLoom. It’s not your traditional nursery rug, but it’s stunning and will add a wow factor in the room.
The rug centers around a traditional tribal-inspired pattern, and it’s stunning. The subtle colors make it contemporary-friendly, almost rustic-looking.
This rug also delivers when it comes to materials. It’s crafted with durable polypropylene that’s soft and easy to clean.
- It will look upscale in the nursery.
- Top-notch materials.
- Soft for small feet.
- Has a smell to it after unwrapping, which requires time to dissipate.
8. Andecor Shaggy Floor Area Rug
Best Fluffy Nursery Rug
We love a good fluffy rug, and this one from And Beyond Inc. did not disappoint us. For starters, it’s made of environmental materials and is 1.57 inches thick. It features a sponge in the center to soothe tired feet.
On the underside, it’s fitted with a non-slip material to keep it steady on the floor. The rug comes in an elegant gray that suits a nursery perfectly.
- Eco-friendly material that’s easy to clean.
- Thick and fluffy surface
- Fitted with non-slip material.
- More budget-friendly than some other rugs on the list.
- The gray color has a blue tint to it, which may upset the decor.
9. NuLoom Sachiko Cloudy Nursery Rug
Best Cloud-Inspired Nursery Rug
This NuLoom cloud-inspired nursery rug is to die for. It’s so adorable you’ll have another reason to love your nursery.
It’s a hand-tufted weave, made of 100 percent polyester. The pile height is 0.75 inches, providing ample comfort for tummy time.
We chose to show you the blue color, but it’s also available in pink. You can pick between different sizes and shapes as well. Great for any nursery style.
- Adorable cloud design.
- Hand-tufted weave.
- Soft material.
- Color, size and shape options are available.
- Glides easily on the floor.
10. PAGISOFE Shaggy Colored Fluffy Rug
Best Nursery Rug for Girls
For your little girl’s nursery, we found this cloud-like rug from Pagisofe. It’s pink and cute, made of soft synthetic microfiber measuring approximately 1.2 inches long, giving it a fur-like feel.
The pink color is thoughtfully mixed with a little bit of white, making it a visual treat for the eyes. The beautiful rug measures 4 feet by 5.3 feet, which is an ideal size for the average nursery.
- Super cute.
- Fluffy and soft.
- Great size for a nursery.
- Not that thick — only the hairs are long.
Why Buy a Nursery Rug?
Nursery rugs can help complete the room, make it look more friendly. They’re an excellent accessory to include, and if you make a smart pick, you can make the space appear roomier.
Rugs also serve a great purpose once your little one begins tummy time, even into toddlerhood where they can use it for play (1). It isn’t a necessity, but can be an asset.
If you’re the crafty sort and you have some time on your hands, you can make your own rug.
How to Choose a Nursery Rug
Rugs are a great accessory, working to bind the nursery together. They come in all shapes and sizes, but it’s essential to choose the right one for you. The right size, color, and material can make a space look bigger, warmer, and more inviting.