- Meaning: Maddox means “son of Madoc” and “fortunate.” It can also mean “giving” and “generous.”
- Gender: Maddox is a boy’s name.
- Origin: Maddox is of Welsh and Irish origin.
- Pronunciation: “MAD-ux” or “MAD-ecks.”
- Popularity: Maddox is a popular boy name currently at the 174th position on the top 1,000 baby boy names.
- Nicknames: Dock, Docks, Dox, Mad, Maddie, Ox, and Oxy.
- Variations: Maddick, Maddocks, Madocks, Maddix, Madix, Madox, Mattick, and Mattix.
- Namesakes: Maddox Chivan Jolie-Pitt, Mark Maddox, Scott Maddox.
- What Does Maddox Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Maddox?
- How Popular Is the Name Maddox?
- How Do I Pronounce Maddox?
- Is Maddox a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Maddox
- Nicknames for Maddox
- Similar Names to Maddox
- Middle Names for Maddox
- Sibling Names for Maddox
- Famous People Named Maddox
- Maddox in Popular Culture
- Maddox FAQs
What Does Maddox Mean?
The name Maddox means “son of Madoc” or “fortunate” (1). The meaning of “fortunate” comes from the Welsh word that means “mad” which is “gwallgof.” Other meanings include “generous” and “giving.”
What Is the Origin of the Name Maddox?
Maddox was originally a Welsh surname before rising in popularity as an American given name. Madoc, otherwise known as Madog, was a Welsh prince that sailed to the New World’s territory 300 years before Christopher Columbus made his voyage to the same location (2).
The Welsh surname was also written as Madawc. Maddox stems from the Old Welsh name, Matoc, which means “goodly.”
How Popular Is the Name Maddox?
Maddox is a popular name at the 174th position on the Social Security Administration’s top 1,000 baby names for boys. The name hit its echelon of popularity in 2017 when it hit 136 on the list. (3).
The name Maddox has steadily remained in the 100s ranking since 2009. It entered the list in 2003 at 582. Hence, it is a more modern 21st-century name. Its spike in popularity in 2003 is thanks to Angelina Jolie adopting her son Maddox in 2002.
How Do I Pronounce Maddox?
Maddox is a two-syllable name that packs a punch. Pronounce Maddox by saying “MAD-ux.” You may also wish to pronounce the name as “MAD-ecks.”
Is Maddox a Boy or Girl Name?
Maddox is a masculine name for baby boys. There are no top name rankings for Maddox as a female name on the Social Security Administration’s top 1,000 names for baby girls.
Variations of Maddox
Try a different name variation to enhance the look of Maddox written on paper. Here are the variations of Maddox that we think may speak to you:
- Maddick (Welsh)
- Maddocks (Welsh)
- Madocks (Welsh)
- Maddix (Welsh)
- Madix (Welsh)
- Madox (Welsh)
- Mattick (Welsh)
- Mattix (Welsh)
Nicknames for Maddox
Maddox is a long enough name that you can have many possibilities for nicknames. These are the fun and unique nicknames that we think you will enjoy for Maddox:
Similar Names to Maddox
Many names end in “-ox” for you to explore similar-sounding names to Maddox. Here are the similar namesakes to Maddox that we believe you will like:
Middle Names for Maddox
Maddox is a powerful modern name with many synergistic middle name pairings. Here are the middle names that we thought you would enjoy for a baby named Maddox:
Sibling Names for Maddox
Maybe you have a little one named Maddox and are on the lookout for a great pairing sibling name. These are the brother and sister names we believe pair the best with Maddox:
Famous People Named Maddox
Considering the popularity of Maddox, there are many famous people with this namesake. More famous people have Maddox as a surname than a given name. Here are the celebrities with the given name Maddox that we wanted to highlight for you:
- Alva Hugh Maddox: United States judge.
- Anthony Maddox: American football player.
- Brad Maddox: American wrestler.
- Brenda Maddox: American writer.
- Claude Maddox: American mobster.
- Ken Maddox: United States politician.
- Maddox Chivan Jolie-Pitt: American actor and adopted son of actress Angelina Jolie.
- Mark Maddox: American football player.
- Robert Maddox: United States politician.
- Scott Maddox: United States politician.
Maddox in Popular Culture
Even Maddox is the given or surname of characters in popular culture. Here are the characters in various television shows and other media with this given name:
- Brooke Maddox: Character in the television show “Scream” and daughter to Mayor Quinn Maddox.
- Cal Maddox: Main character in the show, “Sweet Magnolias.”
- Gabriel Maddox: Minor character in the fourth season of “How To Get Away With Murder” and Vivian’s only son.
- Maddox: Popular character in the television series “The Vampire Diaries.”
- Mayor Quinn Maddox: Mayor of Lakewood in the TV show “Scream” and father of Brooke Maddox.
- Vivian Maddox: Character in “How To Get Away With Murder.”
Maddox exudes strength, valor, and uniqueness, so it may be at the top of your baby name list. These are some answers to your frequently asked questions about the name Maddox.