- Meaning: Genesis is a Greek word that means “birth” or “origin.”
- Gender: Genesis is considered a gender-neutral or unisex name. The name has seen more popularity as a girl’s name, though there is still some use as a boy’s name.
- Origin: Genesis originally comes from the Greek title of the first book in the bible of the same name.
- Pronunciation: “JIN-uh-siss”
- Popularity: Genesis has become a very popular name for girls in recent years, ranking #75 in the United States in 2021.
- Nicknames: Gen, Gene, Geni, Gens, Gigi, Gin, Ginny.
- Variations: Genesio (Italian), Genesius (Late Roman), Genís (Catalan), Ginés (Spanish).
- Namesakes: Genesis Lynea, Genesis Rodriguez, Génesis Dávila.
- What Does Genesis Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Genesis?
- How Popular Is the Name Genesis?
- How Do I Pronounce Genesis?
- Is Genesis a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Genesis
- Nicknames for Genesis
- Similar Names to Genesis
- Middle Names for Genesis
- Sibling Names for Genesis
- Famous People Named Genesis
- Genesis in Popular Culture
- Genesis FAQs
What Does Genesis Mean?
Genesis is a Greek word that means “birth” or “origin.” The name is intended to signify the beginning of something. There were previous words related to “genesis” in Latin and derived-European languages. Still, the Ancient Greek word is the only one that holds the meaning of birth, creation, and origin (1).
What Is the Origin of the Name Genesis?
Generis originally comes from the Greek title of the first book in the bible of the same name. The Book of Genesis is the first book in the Hebrew Bible and the first book in the Old Testament of the Christian bible (2).
The Book of Genesis contains stories about the world’s creation and the beginnings of humanity, including the Garden of Eden, Noah’s Ark, and the tale of Cain and Abel. Genesis has only become popular as a name in recent years, as Christian and Jewish families often used more traditional names such as John, Luke, or Mary throughout history.
Though the name and word Genesis originate from Judeo-Christian religions, the link between the title and religion has become less pronounced over the years. Many people enjoy the name due to its unique quality rather than ties to a separate meaning.
How Popular Is the Name Genesis?
Genesis has become a very popular name in recent years, though the name saw little usage before the 1980s. The name first entered the top 1000 most popular names for girls in the United States in 1988, when it ranked #758.
Since 1988, Genesis saw steady growth as a girl’s name as it slowly entered the top 200 and then the top 150 before exploding in popularity in 2008 by first ranking in the top 100 (at the rank of #95).
Since 2008, the name Genesis has not fallen out of the top 100 and has continued to grow in popularity. The name has not yet entered the top 50, but due to its steady growth, it ranked #62 and #75 in 2020 and 2021, respectively.
As a name for boys, Genesis has only been somewhat popular, though it still managed to enter the top 1000 most popular names for boys in the United States in 2018 at the rank of #982 (3).
How Do I Pronounce Genesis?
The name Genesis is pronounced “JIN-uh-siss.” The name is pronounced similarly to “consensus” and “pretentious.”
Is Genesis a Boy or Girl Name?
Genesis is considered a gender-neutral or unisex name. The name has seen more popularity as a girl’s name, though there is still some use as a boy’s name.
Variations of Genesis
As a unique name, there have only been a few variations on the name Genesis worldwide.
- Genesio (Italian)
- Genesius (Late Roman)
- Genís (Catalan)
- Ginés (Spanish)
Nicknames for Genesis
If the name Genesis is too long for everyday life, these nicknames will be perfect for you.
Similar Names to Genesis
Here are some names that are uniquely similar to the name Genesis.
Middle Names for Genesis
Because Genesis is unique, it pairs well with more traditional and rare middle names.
Sibling Names for Genesis
Siblings of Genesis will be sure to pair well with these names.
Famous People Named Genesis
Because the name Genesis is recently popular, just a few famous people share the name.
- Génesis Dávila: Puerto Rican-American model and winner of Miss World Puerto Rico 2014.
- Genesis Lynea: Bermudian-British actress well-known for her role in the Netflix TV series “Shadow and Bone.”
- Genesis Rodriguez: American actress well-known for her roles in various popular “telenovelas.”
- Génesis Romero: Venezuelan athlete and winner of the 2018 South American Games gold medal for hurdles and relay.
- Genesis Servania: Professional Filipino boxer.
Genesis in Popular Culture
From bands to game consoles, the name Genesis has often been used in pop culture.
- Genesis (band): an English progressive rock band.
- Genesis (album): fifth studio album from American rap artist Busta Rhymes, released in 2001.
- Genesis (spacecraft): a space probe created by NASA that collected solar samples.
- Genesis Rhapsodos: a character in the video game “Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII.”
- Sega Genesis: a video game console created by Sega, referred to as “Mega Drive” outside North America.
Here is one of the most frequently asked questions about the name Genesis.
How Rare Is the Name Genesis?
Genesis has gained major popularity recently, so it isn’t as rare as it used to be. As of 2021, there were over 1,600 people with the first name Genesis in the United States (4).