Changing pad covers are one of the most overlooked baby items. With a variety of styles to choose from, each suiting a different purpose or type of changing pad, it can be hard to know what to look for.
We’ve listened to the experience of other parents and caregivers and have tried a wide range of products ourselves. We’ve evaluated items based on their cost, appearance, materials, and absorbency to come up with this comprehensive list.
If you want the best changing pad cover or liner for your changing pad, you’ll be sure to find some great options here.
- Can be wiped off
- Fits contoured changing pads well
- Soft, stretchy fabric
- Super affordable
- Easy to clean
- Universal fit
- Wide range of prints
- Keeps baby warm and snuggly
- 100% organic cotton
- Money-back guarantee
- Trendy prints
- Machine washable
- Great value for money
- Fits a range of pads
- Won’t irritate sensitive skin
- Lifetime warranty
- Compact when folded
- Three liners included
- Safe for sensitive skin
- Warm, plush material
- Elastic stays in place
Are Changing Pad Covers Necessary?
You already have a changing pad. So why would you want a cover and a liner? Do all moms use them?
Covers and liners aren’t essential, but they are a good idea to have.
Why They Are Useful
Depending upon what kind of material it’s made of and if there are any perforated designs on it, your changing pad can end up with poop stains. Changing pad covers and liners can prevent this nastiness.
They also help soak up any leaks your baby may spring after you remove their diaper, leaving you with less cleaning to do. If your child’s diaper messes end up on the cover and soak through to the liner, you simply take them off and pop them into the washing machine.
Another upside to having a cover is that it feels nice for your baby. Most changing pads are enclosed with a plastic waterproof layer that can be cold against your baby’s back and stick to their skin. A changing pad cover will prevent discomfort and even allow you to change a sleeping baby without them waking.
How to Choose the Best Changing Pad Cover
There are really just four simple things to consider when you’re shopping for a changing pad cover or liner.
Compared to how much money you’ll be spending on other baby items like breast pumps, bottles, a stroller, and a crib, covers and liners are pretty cheap. Most fall within the $5 to $25 range. Although there are pricier options out there too, you’ll be able to find something affordable if you need to.
One of the best things about changing pad covers is that they come in so many colors and prints. You’re bound to find one that will go great with your nursery decor.
Changing pad covers are made using a variety of materials. Some include waterproof backing. Others are made with a simple layer of breathable cotton. Many are made with modern, minky-soft fleece fabrics.
Whichever material you choose to go with, you want to ensure your changing pad is soft and comfortable because your baby’s skin will be in contact with it multiple times a day.
Changing pad liners shouldn’t just repel liquid. They should also be absorbent so messes don’t pool up and get all over your baby’s back, bottom, or clothes.
The Best Changing Pad Covers of 2021
These are the best changing pad covers that won’t break the bank.
1. Circo Wipeable Cover
This changing pad cover can be wiped off, even after the biggest messes, and continue to look as good as new. You don’t need to machine wash to take care of accidents, which is great news for busy moms who don’t have the time to do extra laundry.
While the sides of this cover are soft, the middle is the tough, wipeable part. If you decide to give this cover a more thorough cleaning, you can toss it in your washer on a gentle cycle.
- You won’t have to machine wash it every time your baby has an accident.
- Fits contoured changing pads really well.
- Stretchy fabric fits most standard changing pads.
- Because it’s wipeable in the center, the middle part may be cold on your baby’s back.
2. Ely’s & Co. Changing Pad Cover Set
This unisex set gives you two machine washable, lightweight cotton covers to work with. These will hold up well in the washing machine, and even hard-to-treat poop stains come out if you put it in the wash right away.
These will keep your baby’s back warm and cozy when you change them because the material is so soft. They have a universal fit that works for standard changing pad sizes, and the thick elastic means they’ll wrap around the changing pad without slipping much.
- These covers are super affordable.
- They’re easy to clean.
- Muted colors fit with a variety of nursery designs.
- Initially have a strong chemical smell.
- Fabric shrinks some when washed.
3. Burt’s Bees Baby Organic Knit Terry
These Burt’s Bees changing pad covers are made of 100% organic cotton jersey knit, which makes them super soft and breathable. They’re naturally hypoallergenic, which is nice for moms who have allergies and worry their child might also be affected. This fabric is made of cotton that wasn’t treated with harmful synthetic pesticides, so it’s a lot safer.
You can put these in the washer and dryer, and they seem to get softer each time they come out. The durable elastic will keep the cover from shifting and sliding off, while the cotton jersey knit will give you a bit of stretch for a better fit.
- Many color and pattern options.
- Keeps your baby warm and snuggly during diaper changes.
- Made with organic, breathable, GOTS certified cotton.
- No slits for changing pad belts on some designs.
- Doesn’t fit contoured changing pads very well.
4. Copper Pearl Bloom Premium Cotton Pad Cover
This floral design should please moms who are looking for a more feminine touch for their daughter’s nursery. The flowers are large and bold, which you may like better than a lot of the gender-neutral designs and colors on the market.
This cover can be cleaned in a washing machine and the fabric will look as good as new. The company even offers a full money-back guarantee if you aren’t happy, making this a risk-free purchase.
- With the money-back guarantee, there’s no risk in trying this cover.
- Unique, trendy fabric choices.
- Absorbent material prevents additional messes.
- It doesn’t have much give or stretch, which might be a problem for tight-fitting situations.
- It doesn’t have slits for safety belts.
- Fabric is machine washable but will stain if not cleaned quickly.
5. Summer Infant Ultra Plush Changing Pad Cover
This cover will fit standard changing pads measuring up to 16 x 34 inches, and it’s compatible with security straps.
The changing pad cover is machine washable and it will also resist stains, which is nice if you’ve been burned by poopy blowouts before. The Velboa material is soft and will keep your baby’s back warm during diaper changes. The lightweight fabric is comfortable enough to use even in hot summer weather and is great for babies with sensitive skin.
- Great value for the money.
- Warm fabric won’t startle a sleepy baby when you change them.
- The material is thinner than some other options.
- It can build up static pretty easily.
6. Swaddlez Non-Slip Changing Pad Liners
This great set by Swaddlez includes three changing pad liners, which means you’ll always have a clean one on hand when you need it. They’re made out of bamboo viscose fabric and are lead, BPA, and phthalate-free.
The bottom layer is waterproof, which protects whatever surface you’re using it on, whether it’s a friend’s couch or your own changing pad. The top bamboo layer absorbs fluids with no problems to keep your baby dry during diaper changes.
To help your little one avoid irritated skin, this brand doesn’t bleach or dye their fabrics. When they’re soiled, simply toss them in the washer and dryer.
- Set comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Waterproof backing helps contain messes.
- Compact, folding design is great for travel.
- Stitching doesn’t hold up well in the washer and dryer.
- Narrow liners may not be a good choice for chunky babies or wiggly toddlers.
7. Vextronic Minky Dot Changing Pad Covers
If your baby hates diaper changing time, check out the Vextronic Minky Dot covers. In this set, you get two ultra-soft and breathable covers. They’re made with a lush blend of jersey knit, polyester, and velvet, making them gentle on sensitive skin.
The covers remain soft after being washed many times. The colors don’t fade, and the fabric doesn’t stretch out. You can rely on these quality and durable covers for a long time.
We love how easily they fit onto most changing pads. They’re simple to put on and take off, which is important for those midnight accidents.
- Non-staining fabric is machine washable.
- Super soft, plush fabric feels like a baby blanket.
- Safe for use on sensitive skin.
- Keeps babies warm.
- No openings for the safety belt.
How Many Changing Pad Covers Do I Need?
Most people find that they only need two changing pad covers for their diapering needs. Some people may think one is enough, and if you’re really diligent about doing your laundry, it might be. But some babies have frequent blowouts, and some families wash laundry less often than others, so your best bet is to have an extra changing cover on hand.