- Meaning: Samiel means God has heard. Samiel describes the archangel in Jewish tradition with a heavily religious context.
- Gender: Samiel is frequently used as a male’s name.
- Origin: Samiel has Hebrew origin, with Turkish and Arabic influences.
- Pronunciation: You pronounce Samiel as sam-YEL.
- Popularity: The name Samiel is uncommon or rare in the United States. However, different parts of the world still use this name for boys.
- Nicknames: Sam, Sami, Sammie, Sammy.
- Variations: Samir, Samal, Samet, Samiir, Samiih, Sammy, Sampson.
- Namesakes: Sam Elliot, American actor.
- What Does Samiel Mean?
- What is the Origin of the Name Samiel?
- How Popular is the Name Samiel?
- How Do I Pronounce Samiel?
- Is Samiel a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Samiel
- Nicknames for Samiel
- Similar Names to Samiel
- Middle Names for Samiel
- Sibling Names for Samiel
- Famous People Named Samiel
- Samiel in Popular Culture
- Samiel FAQs
What Does Samiel Mean?
Samiel has Hebrew origin and means God has heard. Samiel is a heavily religious name, showing the severity of God. Samiel originally was an archangel in Jewish tradition, described as a destructive angel of death.
Despite that negative connotation, Samiel’s English, French, and German interpretations are all positive. Samiel means asked of God, and God is heard.
Collins dictionary defines Samiel as a noun. Samiel is another word for simoom, inspired by a Turkish word, samyeli (1). This word breaks down into “sam,” meaning poisonous, and “yel,” meaning wind.
In other words, the British English definition describes Samiel as a strong, suffocating, sand-laden wind located in the deserts of Arabia and North Africa. Nonetheless, sam in Arabic means poison.
What is the Origin of the Name Samiel?
Samiel has some inspiration gathered from Samuel Pepys, a famous London Diarist from the late 1600s (2). Samiel’s origin is Christian and biblical. Originally, Samiel came from the name Shemu’el, from the Hebrew word shama, meaning heard, and el, meaning God.
Samiel is an obvious alternative to the more common name Samuel. Samiel and Samuel are equivalent in the Latin and Greek languages. These names derive from His Name Is God and Follower of Jesus.
How Popular is the Name Samiel?
Samiel ranked as 13,558 in popularity as of 2021. Samiel is common in other parts of the world, but its complexity and length make it not as common in the U.S. Regardless, Samiel is one of the top trending names, becoming more attractive in the upcoming years.
This name remains common in the Congo and a familiar name used in India, Mali, and Haiti to name kids. Overall, there are only 2,000 people named Samiel globally.
How Do I Pronounce Samiel?
You can pronounce Samiel as sam-YEL. This name has medium difficulty, and you could mispronounce it if you’re unaware.
Is Samiel a Boy or Girl Name?
Samiel is a boy name, similar to Samuel. Even though there are gender-neutral versions such as Sam, this interpretation is specifically targeted to boys normally, but you can be creative in naming your child.
Variations of Samiel
There are other creative names similar to Samiel other than the recognizable Samuel, as listed in the following section.
- Sagan (Polish)
- Sage (English)
- Sahel (Arabic)
- Sail (English)
- Sajan (Hindi)
- Samal (Aramaic)
- Samet (German)
- Samiih (Arabic)
- Samiir (Arabic)
- Sammy (Hebrew)
- Sampson (Hebrew)
- Sander (Dutch)
- Saul (Hebrew)
- Saxe (English)
Nicknames for Samiel
You can nickname your child nearly anything, but the most common are the four below.
Similar Names to Samiel
If you like the name Samiel but want another Hebrew name, then keep reading. This section will elaborate on a few names similar to Samiel that could spark your interest.
Middle Names for Samiel
Here are a few names that would go well with Samiel to complete your baby’s full name.
Sibling Names for Samiel
Do you already have a child named Samiel? Or, perhaps you’re expecting twins? Then this section will have names that pair wonderfully with this Hebrew-inspired name.
Famous People Named Samiel
There aren’t many people named Samiel in Hollywood, apart from Samiel Asghedom, an American business executive. That said, there are plenty of celebrities named Samuel or Sam, as seen below.
- Sam Elliot: American actor.
- Sam Heughan: Scottish actor.
- Sam Smith: English singer and songwriter.
- Sammy Soa: Professional baseball player.
- Samuel Adams: Statesman, political philosopher, and one of the founding fathers of the U.S.
- Samuel L. Jackson: American actor.
Samiel in Popular Culture
Similar to the previous section, Samiel doesn’t often make appearances in books, TV shows, or movies. But countless characters sport Sam and Samuel in popular culture.
- Sam Wilson (Falcon): Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- Sam Winchester: Supernatural.
- Sam-I-Am: Dr. Seuss, Green Eggs and Ham.
- Samwell Tarly: Game of Thrones.
- Samwise Gamgee: The Lord of the Rings.
- Yosemite Sam: Looney Tunes.
We’ll break down a few frequently asked questions to help you decide if Samiel is the right name for your baby.