As moms, we know how challenging it is to determine which are the best PS4 games for our kids. Many are not appropriate for children — even though your kids’ friends may try to convince you otherwise.
When shopping for PS4 games for our kids, we aim to find those that offer some educational value, are highly entertaining, and offer decent graphics. Video games are expensive, and we’ve wasted enough money on poor-quality options in the past.
So we studied the market and got feedback from hundreds of young gamers and their parents to create this list of the top kid-friendly PS4 games. You’re sure to find the perfect option for any child here.
- Allows for customization
- Excellent graphics
- Outstanding graphics
- Interactive storyline
- Bigger world with longer distances
- Great graphics
- Played online and offline
- Great challenges and puzzles to overcome
- Two games in one bundle
- Get to follow the books' storyline
- Large variety of favorite characters
- Fantastic graphics
- Plenty of levels and activities
- Fun introduction to the incredibles
- Great graphics
- Allows for two players at once
- Lots of challenges
- Multiple gamers
- Entertaining storyline
- Over 100 levels to conquer
- Fun adventures with mischievous dragon
- Updated graphics
- Fun game for all ages
- Allows for multiple players
- Lots of extras for download
- Full of favorite Disney characters
- Good for fantasy lovers
- Nine games to conquer
Review Methodology: At Mom Loves Best, we conduct a comprehensive, hands-on analysis and evaluation of the best PS4 games for kids, using a variety of objective criteria and data. Our team boasts extensive experience in the gaming industry and tracks the performance of numerous games, comparing them to established benchmarks. We review factors such as gameplay, family-friendliness, educational value, and entertainment factor. Our assessments provide factual findings to help you make informed choices. We aim to explain what sets a game apart, describe its design choices, and share our first-hand experiences, to guide you in finding the game that best meets your child’s needs and interests.
The Best Ps4 Games for Kids of 2023
Here are 15 great PS4 games for kids.
Little Big Planet 3
Best PS4 Game for Younger Kids
For the smallest player, we recommend “Little Big Planet 3” — it’s the perfect combo of fun and challenges without being impossible. In this version, which is suitable for any age, the player gets to control Sackboy and some of his new friends.
Throughout the game, your child can collect quirky costumes to express some individuality. Alongside Sackboy, the player can travel through the digital “Little Big Planet,” climbing and jumping. It’s a creative and vibrant world, excellent for young players.
Another feature in the game is the customization tools, allowing the player to create their own unique version of the world.
- Good challenges for young players.
- It allows for customization.
- Excellent graphics.
- Not as challenging for older kids.
- It takes some time to load.
Best PS4 Game for Teens
Let your teen enter Spider-Man’s world in this PS4 game from Marvel. In the game, your child gets to play the role of the famous wall-crawler, helping him fight the bad guys.
The game is the first within the Spider-Man universe to feature environmental interactions. It revolves around an action-packed storyline, taking your teen and the superhero through the streets of New York City in parkour style. Your teen gets to steer Peter Parker around the city, trying to balance his private life with the superhero inside.
On the way, they’ll be doing incredible acrobatics, slinging Spidey webs, and your teen gets to control it all. The game offers an authentic experience with outstanding graphics, displaying New York City in a digital world, as seen through Marvel.
- Outstanding graphics.
- Interactive storyline — both as Peter Parker and Spider-Man.
- Action-packed with acrobatics, web-slinging, and combat fighting.
- Entertaining for adults too.
- Some of the fights are a bit dull.
- There’s no indication of how long you’ve been playing.
Minecraft — Starter Collection
Best PS4 Game for Creators
Hop into the world of Minecraft with your kiddo, and explore a digital atmosphere like no other. The Minecraft version for PS4 offers a larger world with incredible graphics.
The game is suitable for children aged 10 and up. In it, they get to create their own Minecraft world by building, exploring, and conquering.
Keep in mind that this is the version for PS4. Your child can play offline and online. When connected, they can enter other Minecraft worlds.
With more than one controller, you can play along with them, helping to build their universe. It sparks imagination and provides hours of fun — you might even play a bit yourself after your kid’s bedtime. That can be our little secret.
- The PS4 version offers a bigger world with longer distances.
- Great graphics.
- It sparks creativity and imagination.
- It can be played online and offline with up to two controllers.
- Some elements require purchases.
- It doesn’t offer as many worlds as the Xbox version.
Lego Harry Potter Collection
Best PS4 Game for Harry Potter Fans
Take a step into the magical academy of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft. Everything is reimagined in a Lego universe, bringing charm and humor to the school of witches and warlocks.
Your child gets to follow the three main characters of Harry, Ron, and Hermione as they return to school. This is a bundle of two games — years one to four and five to seven. The embarked adventure, through their years as Hogwarts students, spans the two games.
During the game, your child gets to follow the trio in their magical world, solving puzzles and overcoming obstacles. It begins in the dining hall at Hogwarts, where they first meet — it then continues in accordance with the books. It’s perfect for Harry Potter fans aged 10 years and up.
- Fun and humorous Lego spin on the Harry Potter world.
- Great challenges and puzzles to overcome.
- Two games in one bundle.
- You get to follow the storyline of the books.
- Might be disappointing if you’re used to the original release.
- It’s not an open-world game, meaning it can get repetitive.
Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens Deluxe Edition
For Star Wars Fanatics
If you and your child are “Star Wars” fans, then you’ll love the story retold through Lego characters. The game revolves around “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” with a unique Lego touch. It’s suitable for children 10 years and up.
Once again, Lego puts a fun and witty spin on a popular movie, making it more kid-friendly.
The game consists of exclusive story levels never played before. The player becomes one of their favorite characters and blasts off into the universe. Along the way, they get to experience various vehicles and places.
- It’s a kid-friendly version of the “Star Wars PS4” game.
- Large variety of favorite characters to choose from.
- Fantastic graphics.
- Plenty of levels and activities.
- It can sometimes be glitchy, but that’s the norm with most Lego games.
- You’ll have some repetition.
Lego Disney Pixar's The Incredibles
PS4 Game for the Ultimate Superhero Family
Join The Incredibles through this game from Lego, filled with fun adventures and great experiences. It will take your child through the two movies, encountering some of their favorite scenes.
The game features super graphics combined with Lego’s signature humor, making it extra fun. The player has to take the role of the characters as they battle crime and balance it with family life. It’s thrilling and full of adventure.
Your child can partner with you, another family member, or a friend to create a dream team. This game is recommended for everyone over 10 years of age.
- Fun introduction to The Incredibles.
- Great graphics take you through your favorite scenes.
- It allows for two players at once.
- It’s not as challenging as other Lego games and there are fewer levels.
- It takes a while to load.
Best PS4 Game for All the Family
“Rayman Legends” is a game the whole family can join in. Up to four people can play at once.
In the story, you get to step into the Glade of Dreams, which occurs during a 100-year sleep. It’s filled with child-friendly nightmarish legends such as dragons, sea monsters, giant toads, and evil Luchadores.
The dream will take you through an enchanted forest to unravel a mystery to save the Teensies. It plays out through a series of paintings, each telling a story that takes place in a mythical world.
“Rayman Legends” is suitable for children aged 10 and up. Your child can play online or offline. When playing online, there will be various challenges your child has to conquer.
- It takes you through captivating mythical worlds.
- Lots of challenges.
- Multiple gamers can play at once.
- Entertaining storyline.
- It can be challenging for new gamers.
- Completing the advanced levels may be difficult for children, leading to frustration.
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Best PS4 Game for Adventure Fanatics
For adventure-loving kids, “Spyro Reignited Trilogy” is more than fitting. The bundle comprises three games.
In game one, Spyro encounters Gnasty Gnorc and has to rescue his friends and recover stolen treasure.
In the second game, “Riptor’s Rage,” your child gets to defeat the villain and his minions. Spyro has to fight his way through by spitting fire and head-bashing. The third game, “Year of the Dragon,” sees Spyro trying to save the stolen dragon eggs.
It’s a fun collection filled with lots of challenges. Your child will travel through magical realms, meet various personalities, and experience the adventures of Spyro.
Please note that games two and three aren’t included in disc form. Instead, they’re accessible through a digital download. This trilogy is best for those 10 years and older.
- Over 100 levels to conquer.
- Fun adventures with the mischievous dragon.
- Updated graphics.
- Only the first game comes in a disc form — the other two require a digital download.
Rocket League: Collector's Edition
Best PS4 Game for Tween Racers
Does your tween love race cars and soccer? Then this extensive battle-car game will suit them.
It’s a comprehensive game with over 100 billion combinations to try. The player can compete online against or with three other players in a split-screen mode. They can unlock plenty of vehicles, items, decals, and designs, for a customized look.
Since this is a collector’s edition, it includes previously released packages. These are DLC Packs: Supersonic Fury, Chaos Run, and Revenge of the Battle-Cars. Your child also gets access to four extra Battle Cars. The game itself is suitable for all ages.
- Fun game for all ages.
- Provides plenty of items and cars to choose from.
- Allows for multiple players — up to eight when online.
- Lots of extras for download.
- Some of the stated features aren’t included.
Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far
Best PS4 Game For Kingdom Saviors
Enter the Kingdom Hearts alongside Goofy, Donald, and Sora.
The Disney universe is under invasion, and your child is the only one who can stop it. The game involves nine epic experiences the player has to conquer. “Kingdom Hearts” isn’t the newest game, but if it’s your child’s first time playing, they’ll have lots of fun.
They’ll get to visit all their favorite Disney characters in this fantasy world. It’s suitable for kids aged 10 and up.
- Full of favorite Disney characters.
- Good for fantasy lovers.
- Nine games to conquer.
- Great for both child and parent.
- It doesn’t contain the same amount of bonus materials as older versions do.
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2
Best Zombie Adventure
How do you make zombies child-friendly? You mix them with superhero plants. In “Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2,” your child gets to fight the undead in a hilarious setting played out in the suburbs.
The game can support up to four players at once, and it’s recommended for children aged 7 and up. In this version, there are more characters and plants to choose from. There are also seven lawn-inspired modes, with 12 maps in total, for hours of fun.
Your child can also play online with people from around the world. “Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2” is fun but also a little addictive.
- Visually interesting and appealing.
- Lots of levels to conquer.
- Easy enough for smaller players.
- It works best with a large screen in multiplayer.
Cars 3: Driven to Win
For the Small Racer
Based on the 2017 movie “Cars 3,” this game takes your child right into the action. If your kiddo loves the “Cars” franchise, then they’ll cherish this game.
The player has to train to advance their abilities. This will enable them to do two-wheel driving and barrel rolls, among others.
There are six different modes in the game — race, battle race, stunt showcase, takedown, best lap challenge, and playground.
Playground mode gives the range to perform stunts, compete, or simply cruise around the “Cars 3” world.
Once your child has completed their training, they can compete against friends or family. Anyone aged 10 and up can join in.
- Plenty of challenges.
- Super fun for old and young.
- Allows for two players.
- It might not be as fun for older kids or those who aren’t fans of the Cars franchise.
Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled
For Fast-Going Kids
Get into the driver’s seat with “Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled.” It’s a new take on the original “Crash Team Racing” for PS4.
The updated game is packed with levels and adventures. Drive around with the furry characters, and as your child progresses, they will unlock more content and figures.
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled is best for children aged 10 and above. They can race online or offline. However, there’s a lot of content to download, so an internet connection is required.
There are several action-packed levels to conquer and opponents to defeat. The various karts players can choose from allow for customization.
- Updated from the older version with better graphics and more levels.
- Allows the player to advance through levels, unlocking new characters and karts.
- Can be played online or offline.
- It’s split-screen, compatible with up to four players at once.
- The offline version isn’t as advanced as the online version.
- It takes a long time to load.
Best PS4 Game for the Whole Family
Get your tickets, and immerse yourself and the whole family in “Carnival Games.” It’s like the country fair and includes 20 mini-games suitable for everyone in the family aged 10 or above.
It’s fun, challenging, and capable of supporting up to four players at once. Every player can advance at their own speed, or you can play against each other for more competitive action.
Each player can win tickets throughout the game, which you can choose to keep or trade for outfits and characters. There’s plenty of fun to be had, but you’ll need a controller for each player.
- Fun game for everyone — perfect for family game night.
- Packed with mini-games.
- Prizes to win.
- Might not be fun for just one player.
- It is not challenging for seasoned gamers.
Hasbro Family Fun Pack
Family Game-Night Favorite
If your child enjoys playing board games on family nights, then they’ll never want to put this disc down. It takes you into a 3D world of the popular Hasbro games, Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, and Risk. Every inch of each board comes to life, putting a fun spin on them.
The games can be played online and offline. In online mode, players can compete against others from around the world. In offline mode, you play against family and friends.
Anyone aged 10 and up can play the games. The age restriction is for the age a child can comprehend the rules rather than any censorship. So if you have a child who easily grasps rules, they may be able to play this before the age of 10.
- Packed with family favorites.
- Allows for online and offline modes.
- Multiplayer games.
- Features four fun and familiar games.
- The trivia questions begin to repeat themselves rather quickly.
- It contains in-game purchases, which are unnecessary.
How to Choose the Best PS4 Games for Kids
There are many factors to consider when purchasing a PS4 game for kids, but these are the criteria we believe are most important in a good game.