The bigger your baby bump gets, the more you deserve to show it off!
Besides, swimming when pregnant can not only help you cool off, but it also offers your joints some relief.
We’ve rounded up the best maternity swimwear of the season, from full swimsuits, to maternity bikinis, and more.
- Wide adjustable straps
- Roll waist bottom
- Flattering bra twist
- 50+ UPF rated material
- Adjustable thick & wide neck strap
- Stylish look
- Chlorine resistant
- Quick dry
- Modest yet stylish
- High waist feature
- Made to last
- Great chest support
- Thick shoulder straps
- Fits different body types
- High quality
- Great chest support
- Bust support
- Ruched side panels
- Medium width straps
- Roll waist bottom
- Removable cups
- Hook back closure
- Flattering halter neck design
- Removable chest pad
- Multiple color options
- Open back swimsuit
- Trendy and stylish
- Machine washable
Types of Maternity Swimwear
Maternity bathing suits come in all different types and styles, just like regular swimwear. Popular styles are:
- One Piece: This is the standard swimsuit, but with more fabric in the front to accommodate a swollen belly.
- Over-the-Belly: For moms who want to flaunt their baby bump, the high-waisted swimsuit is back in style and is totally being manufactured to fit over a baby bump. This is a two-piece suit that has a bikini top but a full-coverage bottom.
- Maternity Tankini: The maternity tankini has a full-coverage top but bikini bottom. This style offers the convenience of a two-piece (hello, bathroom breaks!) with the coverage of a one-piece. They also tend to be less tight across the belly.
- Bikini: This is the style for the mom who wants to show off her full baby bump and breasts, this is an option for the confident mom — and also the one who wants as little fabric touching her middle as possible.
How to Choose a Maternity Swimsuit
When buying the best maternity swimwear, look for the following:
- Style: Mama, this is YOUR time. Don’t worry about what other people think you should wear — you wear what makes you feel comfortable. And if that’s a full-coverage, high-necked one-piece, rock it. And if it’s a string bikini, do the same.
- Leg Opening: If you’re short or self-conscious about your thighs, choose a high-legged opening to elongate them. If modesty and full bum coverage is your primary concern, choose one with a lower leg opening.
- Room to Grow: We know that this is a maternity swimsuit so its lifespan is limited, but you don’t want to have to buy a new one every two months. Buy maternity swimwear that can accommodate your growing belly, expanding breasts, and widening hips throughout your pregnancy.
The Best Maternity Swimsuits of 2021
Here are our favorite maternity swimsuits of the season.
1. PregO Maternity Women's Dot Twist Tankini
This adorable maternity tankini set comes in two different bright, fun colors with matching top and bottoms. The twist at the bustline adds an element of interesting design, and the sewn-in cups offer a flattering silhouette. It has adjustable straps to ensure a good fit, and the roll waist bottom allows you to wear it wherever on your belly you feel more comfortable.
2. Momo Maternity Bathing Suit
This pregnancy swimsuit provides not only support, but also coverage. It’s got adjustable shoulder straps and sewn-in bra cups to help properly support your breasts, and the neckline is high enough that you won’t feel like you’re spilling out of the top. The design is cute and modern, and the nylon material even has built-in sun protection so you don’t get burned.
3. Oceanlily Halter Maternity Swimwear Top
This racerback halter combines both style and coverage. The modest neckline won’t make you feel self-conscious, but the fitted style still hugs the body to prevent upward movement (and exposure) in water.
4. Oceanlily Over The Belly Maternity Swimwear Bottoms
Many bikinis sell the bottom and tops separately. If you’ve got the perfect top, but need a comfortable bottom to your bikini set, try this one. It comes with a versatile 3-in-1 waistband that adjusts as your belly grows larger.
Overall, it provides ample coverage where you need it while providing a fashionable, classic sheen. You can feel confident by the water throughout your pregnancy and beyond.
5. Oceanlily Ruched Front Maternity Swimwear
Moms love to look cute at the beach, but many also want to be comfortably covered. This adorable maternity tankini swimsuit top provides support while covering up the largest baby bump. The adjustable shoulder straps help you find the perfect fit with a special back panel offering support for your chest.
Plus, there’s ample fabric around the bust and belly so you won’t spend your time tugging and pulling the bathing suit to fit.
6. Oceanlily Maternity Twist Front Tankini Top
This tankini swimsuit top (bottoms sold separately) will hold your girls in place with thick straps and large, soft cups. It has a mesh lining to prevent water absorption while still providing coverage and thickness, and the flattering neckline and silhouette will fit a wide variety of body types.
7. Speedo Endurance Black Maternity Swimsuit
Though the design doesn’t quite look like your traditional racing tank, plenty of reviewers have remarked that this suit has held up well for their lap swims. It’s basic black with a plain neckline and modest leg openings to keep you adequately covered during your water workout… but also has a cute little bow. Because, hey, you’re pregnant and you deserve a little flair.
8. Prego Maternity Roll Waist Bikini
The flattering neckline and adjustable halter offer a trendy appearance and breast support, and the full-coverage bottoms allow you to wear a bikini without letting it all hang out. The roll waist bottoms can be worn high or low depending on preference, and the removable breast cups allow you to remove them if you need more space in your top.
9. EastElegant Maternity Swimsuit
Don’t lose your sexy confidence during pregnancy. This flattering one-piece features a halter top and a classic retro fit. The removable chest pad will provide the support you need in the bust.
Having several sizes and designs to choose from will give you the freedom to select swimwear that flatters your growing belly. You’ll feel good about how you look and also how you’re taking care of your baby to be.
10. Maternal America O-Ring Maternity Swimsuit
The plunging neckline and open back prove that maternity can also mean sexy. The adjustable halter will also help provide custom breast support, and the medium-cut leg openings provide bum coverage without being frumpy. And since it’s made of nylon/spandex and machine washable, ongoing care will be easy.
11. Beachcoco Maternity Maxi Tube Dress
Throw this on after the beach and you’re ready to go to dinner. Made of elastic and a jersey material, it’s super simple to slip on and look — and feel — amazing. Plus, it comes in about a million different colors so you’re bound to find one that even matches your suit.
12. PEZ D’OR Montego Bay Maternity Bikini
The bandeau style top is sexy and comfy, and will allow you to adjust the fit based on your breast size. It also has boning for extra support, and soft cups for nipple coverage. The bottoms sit below the belly for optimal comfort, and since it’s fully lined, you can be confident that it won’t become see-through when it’s wet.
13. Mermaid Maternity Boyshort Swim Bottoms
These boyshorts are fully lined to keep you covered, and hug your silhouette to keep them from floating up in the water. They have a full over-the-belly panel if you’d like, or you can fold it down for a lower waistline.
14. Mermaid Maternity Retro Maternity Swim Brief
These bottoms have a fold-down waist so you can wear it over-the-belly or mid-belly depending on your personal preference. It is partially lined for your comfort and coverage, and also has a modest leg opening to make sure your bum stays behind fabric.
15. Mermaid Maternity Skirt with Boyshort
A swim skirt is a good option if you’re self-conscious about your thighs. With the boyshort underneath you’ll be fully covered, but with the skirt you’ll be able to transform your swim top into a whole new, unique outfit.
16. Mermaid Maternity Rash Guard Swim Shirt
This quick-dry top will help you make a serious statement. You don’t always want a real swimsuit top, but you do want to be ready for water if you’re out with your kids. A rash guard not only will let you stay fully covered but prepared for fun, but will also provide sun protection and help prevent sunburns.
17. Mermaid Maternity Board Shorts
These board shorts help keep you confident and comfortable with full coverage. They also have a built-in brief so you don’t feel like your lady bits are hanging out there without any support. The band can either be worn over the belly for maximum coverage, or below for maximum air flow.
18. Aontus Tankini Pregnancy Swimsuit
This maternity swimsuit comes in sizes up to 3XL, and is a flattering shape for many body types. The soft cups provide attractive cleavage and good support for larger breasts, and the adjustable cross strap in back helps keep the suit in place.
19. Bhome Tankini Summer Swimsuits
With lots of color choices, there’s a suit here to fit every taste. The flowing, flattering silhouette resembles a dress but still has the convenience of a one-piece. The breast cups are soft and expandable to accommodate changing breasts, and the adjustable straps make sure you still have enough support.
20. Wander Agio Maternity Swimsuit Cover Up
Oh-la-la, this sexy cover-up will have you feeling fabulous. With crochet detailing and a tie bust enclosure that leaves the bottom open to show off your beautiful belly, this cover is for the mama who wants to turn heads.
The Bottom Line
Our top pick for the best maternity bathing suit is the PregO Dot Twist Maternity Tankini. The flattering neckline will look good on women with any size breasts, the adjustable straps help ensure a custom fit, and the silhouette shows off your baby bump without being too uncomfortably form-fitting or allowing it to float up when submerged in water.
Plus it’s a two-piece so you won’t have to wrestle with a wet suit on your bathroom breaks (because, as a pregnant woman, you know there are many).
You deserve fashion and comfort — and you also deserve to show it off if you want. There’s a swimsuit for every body, even your pregnant one. Now you just need to plan an occasion to wear it.