Some women avoid swimming when pregnant because they can’t find a suitable swimsuit they feel is worth the cost when they will only wear it for a short time. This is unfortunate because swimming when pregnant not only helps you cool off, it also offers your joints some relief.
We’ve solved this problem by rounding up the best maternity swimwear, from one-piece suits to maternity bikinis, tankinis, and more. We’ve found options for every budget, so you’ll have no excuse not to hit the beach or the pool when the heat becomes overwhelming.
- Wide, adjustable straps
- Option for over or under-belly wear
- Flattering bra twist
- 50+ UPF rated material
- Adjustable wide halter neck strap
- Stylish look
- Chlorine resistant
- Quick-dry fabric
- Modest yet stylish
- High waist feature
- Made to last
- Two prints to choose from
- Thick shoulder straps
- Fits different body types
- High quality
- Great chest support
- Bust support
- Ruched side panels
- Fits throughout entire pregnancy
- Roll waist bottom
- Removable cups
- Hook back closure
- Flattering halter neck design
- Removable chest pad
- Multiple color options
- Open back swimsuit
- Trendy and stylish
- Machine washable
Types of Maternity Swimwear
Maternity bathing suits come in all different types and styles, just like regular swimwear. Popular styles are:
- One Piece: This is the standard swimsuit, but with more fabric in the front to accommodate a swollen belly.
- Over-the-Belly: For moms who want to flaunt their baby bump, the high-waisted swimsuit is back in style, and the maternity version fits perfectly over a baby bump. These are two-piece suits that pair a bikini top with a full-coverage bottom.
- Maternity Tankini: The maternity tankini has a full-coverage top and a bikini bottom. This style offers the convenience of a two-piece (hello, bathroom breaks!) with the coverage of a one-piece swimsuit. They also tend to be less tight across the belly.
- Bikini: This style is perfect for the mom who wants to show off her full baby bump — and also those who want as little fabric touching their middle as possible.
How to Choose a Maternity Swimsuit
When buying the best maternity swimwear, look for the following:
- Style: Mama, this is your time. Don’t worry about what other people think you should wear — you wear what makes you feel comfortable. And if that’s a full-coverage, high-necked one-piece, then rock it. And if it’s a string bikini, do the same.
- Leg Opening: If you’re short or self-conscious about your thighs, choose a high-legged opening to elongate them. If full bum coverage is your primary concern, choose one with a lower leg opening.
- Room to Grow: We know that this is a maternity swimsuit with a limited lifespan, but you don’t want to have to buy a new one every two months. Buy maternity swimwear that can accommodate your growing belly, expanding breasts, and widening hips throughout your pregnancy.
The Best Maternity Swimsuits of 2022
Here are our favorite maternity swimsuits of the season.
1. PregO Maternity Women's Dot Twist Tankini
This adorable maternity tankini set comes in your choice of two colors with matching tops and bottoms. The twist at the bustline adds an interesting design element, and the sewn-in cups offer a flattering silhouette. It has adjustable straps to ensure a good fit, and the bottom can be rolled up or down at the waist, allowing you to wear it over or under your belly.
2. Momo Maternity Bathing Suit
This pregnancy swimsuit provides support and coverage. It has adjustable shoulder straps and sewn-in bra cups to help properly support your breasts, and the neckline is high enough that you won’t feel like you’re spilling out of the top. The design is cute and modern, and the nylon material has built-in sun protection so you don’t get burned.
3. Oceanlily Halter Maternity Swimwear Top
Just What You Need
This racerback halter combines both style and coverage. The modest neckline won’t make you feel self-conscious, but the fitted style still hugs the body to prevent upward movement (and exposure) in water.
4. Oceanlily Over-the-Belly Maternity Swimwear Bottoms
Bikini tops and bottoms are often sold separately, so you can find the best fit for your body shape. If you’ve got the perfect bikini top but need a comfortable bottom, try this one. It comes with a versatile 3-in-1 waistband that adjusts as your belly grows larger.
Overall, it provides ample coverage where you need it while providing a fashionable, classic sheen. You can feel confident in the water throughout your pregnancy and beyond.
5. Oceanlily Ruched Front Maternity Swimwear
Full Coverage Tankini Top
Moms love to look cute at the beach, but many also want to be comfortably covered. This adorable maternity tankini swimsuit top provides support while covering up even a full-term baby bump. The adjustable shoulder straps help you find the perfect fit with a special back panel offering chest support.
Plus, there’s ample fabric around the bust and belly, so you won’t spend your time tugging and pulling the bathing suit to fit.
6. Oceanlily Maternity Twist Front Tankini Top
This tankini swimsuit top (bottoms sold separately) will hold your girls in place with thick straps and large, soft cups. It has a mesh lining to prevent water absorption while still providing coverage and thickness. The flattering neckline and silhouette will fit a wide variety of body types.
7. Speedo Endurance Black Maternity Swimsuit
Stays Where it Should
Though the design doesn’t quite look like your traditional racing tank, plenty of reviewers have remarked that this suit has held up well for their lap swims. It’s a basic black suit with a plain neckline and modest leg openings to keep you adequately covered during your water workout.
8. Prego Maternity Roll Waist Bikini
Support Where You Need It
The flattering neckline and adjustable halter offer a trendy appearance and breast support, and the full-coverage bottoms allow you to wear a bikini without letting it all hang out. Depending on your preference, the roll waist bottoms can be worn high or low, and the removable cups allow for additional space in your top.
9. EastElegant Maternity Swimsuit
Hottest Halter Top
Don’t lose your sexy confidence during pregnancy. This flattering one-piece maternity swimsuit features a halter top and a classic retro fit. The removable chest pad provides necessary bust support.
Having several sizes and designs to choose from will give you the freedom to select swimwear that flatters your growing belly.
10. Maternal America O-Ring Maternity Swimsuit
The plunging neckline and open back prove that you can still look sexy while pregnant. The adjustable halter will also help provide custom breast support, and the medium-cut leg openings provide bum coverage without being frumpy. And since it’s made of nylon/spandex and machine washable, ongoing care will be easy.
11. Beachcoco Maternity Maxi Tube Dress
Flowing, Feminine, Fetching
Throw this on after the beach, and you’ll be ready to go to dinner. Made of elastic and knit jersey material, it’s super simple to slip on, so you can look — and feel — amazing. Plus, it comes in a wide array of colors and prints, so you’re bound to find one (or several) you love.
12. PEZ D’OR Montego Bay Maternity Bikini
The bandeau-style top is sexy and comfy and will allow you to adjust the fit based on your breast size. It also has boning for extra support and soft cups for nipple coverage. The bottoms sit below the belly for optimal comfort, and since it’s fully lined, you can be confident it won’t become see-through when it’s wet.
13. Mermaid Maternity Boy Short Swim Bottoms
Cute and Casual
These boy shorts are fully lined to keep you covered and hug your silhouette, which prevents them from shifting in the water. They have a full over-the-belly panel that you can fold down for a lower waistline.
14. Mermaid Maternity Retro Swim Brief
These bottoms have a fold-down waist, so you can wear them over your belly or mid-belly, depending on your personal preference. It is partially lined for your comfort and coverage and has a modest leg opening to ensure your bum stays behind the fabric.
15. Mermaid Maternity Skirt with Boy Short
Flirty and Flattering
A swim skirt is a good option if you’re self-conscious about your thighs. With the boy short underneath, you’ll be fully covered, while the skirt transforms your swim top into a whole new, unique outfit.
16. Mermaid Maternity Rash Guard Swim Shirt
This quick-dry top will help you make a serious statement. You want to be ready for water if you’re out with your kids, but you may wish for more coverage than a bikini top. A rash guard not only lets you stay fully covered but it allows you to be prepared for fun. It provides sun protection and helps prevent sunburns.
17. Mermaid Maternity Board Shorts
These board shorts help keep you confident and comfortable with their full coverage. They also have a built-in brief, so you won’t feel like your lady bits are hanging out. The band can either be worn over the belly for maximum coverage or under for maximum airflow.
18. Aontus Tankini Pregnancy Swimsuit
Made for Comfort
This maternity swimsuit comes in sizes up to 3XL and is a flattering shape for many body types. The soft cups reveal a little cleavage and offer good support for larger breasts. The adjustable cross strap in the back helps keep the suit in place.
19. Bhome Tankini Summer Swimsuits
Cute but Covered
With lots of color choices, there’s a suit here to fit every taste. The flowing, flattering silhouette resembles a dress but still has the convenience of a one-piece suit. The cups are soft and expandable to accommodate changing breasts, and the adjustable straps ensure you have enough support.
20. Wander Agio Maternity Swimsuit Cover-Up
Ooh-la-la, this sexy cover-up will have you feeling fabulous. With crochet detailing and a tie-bust enclosure that leaves the bottom open to show off your beautiful belly, this cover is for the mama who wants to turn heads. With more than 20 colors to choose from, it’ll be hard to buy just one.
The Bottom Line
Our top pick for the best maternity bathing suit is the PregO Dot Twist Maternity Tankini. The flattering neckline will look good on women with any size of breasts. The adjustable straps help ensure a custom fit. And the silhouette shows off your baby bump without being too uncomfortably form-fitting or allowing it to float up when submerged in water.
Plus, it’s a two-piece, so you won’t have to wrestle with a wet suit on your bathroom breaks (because, as a pregnant woman, you know there are many).
You deserve fashion and comfort — and you also deserve to show your body off. There’s a swimsuit for every body, even your pregnant one. Now all you need is the perfect occasion to wear it.