Are you pregnant and wondering whether you need to change up your skin care routine?
Between pregnancy acne, increased skin sensitivity, and the occasional dark spot, you may find yourself needing a host of new products. Or you may realize your regular skin care products aren’t the safest for your baby.
We’ve rounded up the best pregnancy skin care products that are safe for mom and baby.
- Pure blend of essential oils
- Supports natural moisturization
- Fast absorbing
- Irresistible scent
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Natural botanical ingredients
- 100% organic
- Vegan, gluten & cruelty free
- Made in the USA
- Dermatologist tested
- Certified to NSF/ANSI 305 standard
- No artificial fragrance
- Combats signs of acne & scaring
- 100% natural and organic
- Dermatologist & ophthalmologist tested
- Natural, nutrient-rich ingredients
- Developed by doctors
- World-class blend of ingredients
- Safe for sensitive skin
Skin Changes During Pregnancy
You knew your belly would grow, but you probably didn’t have any idea about the host of other changes your body would experience during pregnancy.
One of the more unexpected things you may experience is a change in your skin.
Some of the most common skin changes during pregnancy are:
- Pregnancy glow: When you’re pregnant, the volume of blood coursing through your veins increases by nearly 50 percent (1). This increased blood flow can cause your face to appear brighter, giving you that gorgeous pregnancy glow everyone raves about.
- Increased acne: Some pregnant women glow, while other women get acne. How fair is that? Acne during pregnancy is incredibly common as pregnancy-related hormones increase oil production, resulting in more frequent or more severe breakouts.
- Skin darkening: Also known as the “mask of pregnancy,” hormones can cause your skin to darken thanks to increased pigmentation. About half of pregnant women experience this phenomenon, which occurs most frequently on your forehead and cheeks.
- Skin sensitivity: When you’re pregnant, you may find your skin is extra sensitive to environmental irritants and sun exposure (2). You may discover some of your previous skincare products irritate your skin, or that it needs extra care to keep from becoming itchy, inflamed, or breaking out.
How to Choose Pregnancy Safe Skin Care Products
When shopping for beauty products while pregnant, look for the following:
- Hypoallergenic: While the term hypoallergenic is not regulated by the FDA, it is a good indicator that the product has is likely to cause fewer allergic reactions than other products. You should still review the ingredient list prior to purchasing a beauty product, but the label is a good first-line indicator it may be safe for your super-sensitive skin.
- Paraben-free: Parabens are preservatives commonly used in beauty products. They mimic estrogen in the body and should be avoided during pregnancy. Going with a paraben-free product is a safe choice.
- Lacking harmful ingredients: Review the above list of ingredients to be avoided during pregnancy, and opt for products that don’t contain any of them.
- Non-comedogenic: Non-comedogenic products will not clog your pores. Some women are more susceptible to acne when they’re pregnant. If that sounds like you, choose a product that specifies it’s non-comedogenic so it won’t wreak havoc on your complexion.
Editor's Note:Katelyn Holt RN, BSN, BC
The Best Pregnancy Skin Care Products of 2021
Here are our favorite pregnancy-safe skincare products.
1. Beautycounter Melting Body Balm
This lotion will help you moisturize your skin without exposing it to harmful chemicals. The company has its own ‘Never List’ of ingredients to provide the safest products to everyone.
It is non-greasy, and also does not have a scent. This means it has a lower chance of irritating sensitive skin, and also won’t bother you if you’re sensitive to smells during pregnancy.
It is also cruelty-free, meaning it has not been tested on animals.
2. Kneipp Lavender Body Oil
Does pregnancy have you feeling stressed? The calming scent of lavender in this oil can help you unwind after a long day.
Whether you’re using it as a moisturizer, as a massage oil, or pouring it in the bath, you can feel good that this product is made primarily with plant oils. It helps to moisturize your skin without a greasy feeling.
It also contains Vitamin E, which helps with both scarring and stretch marks.
3. ArtNaturals Essential Body and Foot Wash
This body and foot wash is 100 percent natural. It contains no parabens which can interfere with your body’s natural estrogen, and is cruelty-free.
It also has natural antibacterial and antifungal properties that can battle odor and infections for the active woman by using certain oils that are safe for use during pregnancy.
The oils also give it a refreshing scent including peppermint, which may be appealing to you in the morning if you suffer from morning sickness.
4. Glow Organics Belly Butter
This belly butter can help you soothe ultra-dry, irritated, or stretch-marked skin with 100 percent organic and vegan ingredients. It is also cruelty-free.
Composed primarily of ultra-moisturizing shea butter and cocoa butter, there are no parabens, synthetic ingredients, dyes, phthalates, or artificial fragrances, making it less likely to have ingredients that will irritate your skin.
And to ease your mind, there are no hidden ingredients, it is made right here in the USA.
5. Earth Mama Belly Butter
What better way to battle stretch marks than with a product designed specifically for your pregnant belly?
This product is free of parabens and contains no artificial fragrance. Its natural-occurring fragrance is light so it won’t aggravate morning sickness.
It is made with organic ingredients so you can feel good about slathering it all over your belly, and it has been dermatologist tested to make sure it does not cause irritation.
6. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Bust Cream
This natural bust cream has been dermatologist tested and contains shea butter, vitamin E, and elastin.
It is designed to help firm and tone the skin on your bust. The argan oil with high levels of vitamin E helps to fight stretch marks you may have developed when pregnant.
It has fatty acids and antioxidants, helping to soften and condition skin. However, be advised that when using this product, you should wipe it off your breasts before nursing.
7. Led Face Mask
If simple hygiene changes make no difference in your stubborn pregnancy acne, it may be time to invest in a non-medicated product.
Though pricey, this mask uses light only — absolutely no harmful chemicals — to battle acne bacteria at its source and help to clear your complexion. And since it’s a multi-use product, you can continue to use it even after pregnancy for other skin conditions including anti-aging and uneven skin tone.
It’s the same technology used at upscale dermatology salons, available for use in your own home.
8. Aleavia Purifying Organic Facial Cleanser
This gentle and effective facial cleanser doesn’t contain any ingredients that could potentially irritate your sensitive skin.
It is 100 percent natural with organic ingredients and no toxins, and has no artificial fragrances or dyes. The ingredients have no GMOs, and the cleanser is paraben free.
Even though it’s gentle on your skin, it’s still effective and will even remove waterproof makeup and mascara at the end of a long day.
9. Burt’s Bees Sensitive Facial Cleansing Towelettes
These pre-moistened cleansing towels are the ultimate convenience, and are made of 99.1 percent natural ingredients to make them perfect for your sensitive skin.
They have aloe to help calm your skin, and will cleanse your skin completely without the need to rinse your face afterward.
They are hypoallergenic and free of fragrances, and have cotton extract in them which helps keep them soft. They are also made with ingredients certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, so you can feel good about using this product because it won’t affect the environment.
10. Puracy Natural Shampoo
This natural pregnancy-safe shampoo helps to cleanse your hair effectively without the use of harsh chemicals or sulfates.
Unlike some natural shampoos that don’t lather well, this one produces enough lather to cleanse your thick pregnancy hair. It has a citrus and mint scent which is typically tolerable for women with even the most severe morning sickness.
It can even be used on color-treated hair and comes in a pump bottle for easy application in the shower.
11. Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner
This rich moisturizer contains shea butter, sea kelp, and Argan oil to keep your thick hair manageable. It’s safe for use on all hair types, including color treated and over-processed hair.
It is made with ethically-traded natural and certified organic ingredients so you can feel good about your purchase, and contains no harmful ingredients that could pose a risk to you or your baby.
12. Herbatint Permanent Haircolor Gel
This hair color is a great compromise between the full-scale chemical dyes you’re accustomed to and natural dyes that have a poor reputation for ineffective or short-lived color.
While Herbatint does contain some chemicals, it contains far less than most of the other brands available. Even better, the scent is not strong like you’re accustomed to in coloring products as it does not contain ammonia.
This product is also cruelty-free and vegan-friendly.
13. Karma Organic Nail Polish
This line of nail polish contains no toluene, formaldehyde, phthalates, or parabens. It is safe for pregnant women and children, as well as allergy sufferers.
They have no harsh odor and the results are chip resistant. The polishes come in a number of colors and finishes.
This nail polish will not cause your nails to turn yellow and even contains ingredients that will help to strengthen your nails.
Karma Organic Nail Polish is certified cruelty free, and the packaging is 100 percent recyclable.
14. Piggy Paint Nail Polish Remover
Acetone is not only harmful internally, but it also dries out and weakens your nails. This non-acetone nail polish remover has aloe vera to help condition and strengthen your nails, while effectively removing your polish, too.
This remover was developed to be used with the Nailtique nail polish line, but it can also be used on any brand of nail polish.
While other brands of non-acetone polish removers have a reputation for ineffectiveness, reviewers agree this one works well, without the strong chemical scent.
15. Sun Bum Original Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion
This sunscreen is SPF 30 and offers broad-spectrum protection — meaning it blocks both UVA and UVB rays from the sun. All without gluten, oil, or parabens.
It’s even enriched with Vitamin E which is a great skin moisturizer and conditioner.
It is non-comedogenic so it won’t clog your pores, and goes on silky rather than greasy. It is waterproof up to 80 minutes and has been tested and approved by the Skin Cancer Foundation.
It does not contain some of the most common allergens and is suitable for sensitive skin. It’s also vegan-friendly and cruelty-free.
16. Belli Anti-Blemish Facial Wash
Belli helps to calm your skin, reduce inflammation, and calm acne. This product will help with overall skin appearance.
To give you peace of mind while conceiving, this facial wash is OB-gyne and dermatologist approved and helps in giving your face a good cleansing routine.
This product is best suited for those with acne-prone skin types. Its formulation is never tested on animals, gluten-free, and is free from allergens. It also contains no harmful chemicals, parabens, or artificial dyes.
17. Bio-Oil Multiuse Skincare Oil
This product doesn’t contain any of the dangerous lightening chemicals you need to avoid during pregnancy, and instead uses safe ingredients to help even out skin tone and minimize dark spots.
This bio-oil has no formaldehyde, parabens, or sulfates. It is not greasy and is hypoallergenic so it is not likely to irritate your skin. Using it can also help with hydration, wrinkles, and fine lines.
The company is committed to cruelty-free products, so it has not been tested on animals.
18. Aloe Infusion Face & Body Cream
If you’ve got severely dry skin, go for the two best moisturizing ingredients known to man — aloe and shea butter. This product has both to help you soothe ultra-dry skin, without any harmful chemical additives you should be avoiding.
It is made with organic ingredients and has 75 vitamins and antioxidants. It has no artificial colors, fragrances, or parabens.
It even comes with a money-back guarantee if you’re not happy with the product.
19. Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Since you can’t use traditional anti-aging products, this product is the next best thing. It uses hyaluronic acid, a substance that occurs naturally in your body, to help your skin retain moisture. This causes it to become extra plump or full, filling in fine lines and wrinkles without harmful retinol.
It is non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, dye free, and oil free. While it goes on like a gel, it is absorbed quickly and then acts as a cream.
Neutrogena does not test its products on animals, except in the rare cases where it is required by law in other countries.
20. LilyAna Naturals Eye Cream Moisturizer
This retinol-free eye cream will help smooth, firm, lift, and brighten the area around your eyes with none of the additives you need to avoid during pregnancy.
It contains no parabens, artificial dyes or fragrances, and is made with natural and organic ingredients so you feel good putting it on your skin. It is also vegan-friendly and never tested on animals.
It’s gentle enough for twice-daily use on the most sensitive of skin, and if you’re not happy, there’s no risk because this eye cream comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Beauty Products To Avoid During Pregnancy
When you’re after a healthy pregnancy, some of the most common beauty and skin care ingredients you should avoid are:
- Retinoids/retinol: Derivatives of Vitamin A, these substances are commonly found in acne and anti-aging products.
- Salicylic acid: It is generally recommended to avoid frequent use of products with salicylic acid in them. It is an ingredient commonly found in products used to treat and manage acne.
- Benzoyl peroxide: Another ingredient commonly found in acne products, it’s best to avoid regular long-term exposure.
- Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde is linked to reduced fertility and miscarriage (3). You are most likely to encounter it in nail polish.
- Soy: Soy can mimic estrogen in the body, so it’s best to avoid it during pregnancy. It can also make your dark skin patches worse.
- Parabens: Parabens can also mimic estrogen in the body. During a time when your hormonal balance is so important, avoid products that may interfere with it.
- Chemical sunscreens with oxybenzone: You need to protect your skin, but opt for a barrier, such as a mineral, sunscreen over traditional varieties that contain oxybenzone. This chemical helps to absorb the UV rays in your skin and helps you metabolize it. Mineral sunscreens sit atop your skin and never enter your bloodstream.
The Bottom Line
Our top pick as the best pregnancy skin care product is Glow Organics Belly Butter. Every pregnant mama needs a good, high-quality body butter to help ease discomforts related to abdominal skin stretching and help minimize stretch marks.
This product is organic, hypoallergenic, paraben-free, and developed specifically with the pregnant woman in mind — which is why it’s the perfect pregnancy skin care products that every mama should have in her skin care arsenal.