Looking for magic kits for kids but don’t know where to start? What could be better than adding some magic into your child’s life? For centuries, magic has left — and continues to leave — human beings in awe.
From appearing and disappearing tricks, to levitation and object bending, both adults and children are mesmerized by magic tricks. Children, in particular, will sit for hours captivated by magicians.
Luckily, our kids don’t have to just watch that stuff on TV or wait for the next magic show to come to town. If your child loves magic, buy them the best magic kits you can find. In doing so, you will be giving them the opportunity to create their very own magical illusions.
Let your child dress up and put on a magic show for you. We’ll go over what to keep in mind when shopping for a magic kit and share with you our favorites.
Quick ComparisonOur Top Kids Magic Kit Picks of 2019 Read Full Reviews
Are Magic Kits Good for Kids?
As a mom, I know you want the best for your kids and naturally you want to know if magic kits are any good. Other than just keeping your kids, family members, and friends entertained, magic kits have a ton of benefits. Here are some of them:
- Promotes creativity: Your kids will explore different tricks and out-of-the-box thinking. The performance alone demands creativity — they’ll be thinking about what to say during the performance and what costume to wear.
- Boosts self-confidence: The appreciation your child receives when they perform a magic trick will boost confidence, both in themselves and their abilities. It’s a skill they could carry with them for a long time.
- Great way to start a conversation: “D’you wanna see a magic trick?” has got to be one of the best ways to get conversations going, with both kids and adults. Rather than racking their brains looking for something to say, let a magic trick do it for them.
Features to Look For
As with all other toys, there are certain features that you should look for in a magic kit, to make it worth your child’s while. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Versatility: Look for a toy that your child can play with in many ways. Kits containing multiple tricks will keep them entertained over a longer period.
- Bolster imagination: Toys that push your child to think for themselves will increase their problem-solving abilities (source).
- Easy-to-understand instructions: A straightforward manual will help your child’s understanding, instead of being frustrated by not being able to grasp the concepts.
Other Things to Consider
There are several other things to keep in mind as you shop for a magic kit for your kids. Let’s go over them.
1. Age Appropriate
It’s true that people of all ages love magic and magic tricks. However, not all tricks can be performed by kids. Look for a magic set that is suited to your child’s age. It will be more fun and engaging, and won’t leave them confused or frustrated (source).
As with any other toy you purchase for your kids, make sure to inspect it thoroughly upon opening the package. If you have little ones around, ensure that no small pieces are left unattended.
Try performing some tricks with your child the first time you introduce a new magic kit. It will help you gauge the kit’s safety features and understand if there are any bits or pieces that could potentially be dangerous.
3. Skill level
Does your child have some knowledge of executing magic tricks, or are they just starting out? A beginner will require a different set from one who already has a couple of tricks up their sleeve (pun intended).
A little challenge goes a long way. Try to strike a balance with ease of use, to make the most out of the kit.
The Best Kids Magic Kits of 2019
So far, we’ve looked at the positive effects magic kits can have on your kids. We’ve also covered some of the things to keep in mind when shopping for magic kits. Now it’s time to find some of the best kits out there, with an award for each one.
1. Learn & Climb Jumbo Magic Kit
All-Inclusive Magic Kit
Ultimate fun and magic begin right here with the mega magic kit. Your little magician will have access to 28 props and a large variety of tricks that’ll stretch their imagination and creativity. The kit has different activity levels, allowing your child to grow with it, from age 6 up.
As your child stages the performance, their self-esteem and confidence will improve. They’ll also gain public speaking skills and memorization abilities, as well as hand-eye coordination.
The kit consists of two drawers that provide easy storage for all the props. You’ll also find a comprehensive instructional DVD as well as an easy-to-follow illustrated manual. You can also scan the QR codes to access the manufacturer’s full game manual online.
- Illustrated manual and instructional DVD included.
- Multiple learning levels for varying ages.
- High-quality materials used.
- Excellent storage system.
- A variety of props and tricks to keep your kid entertained.
- The instruction manual is complicated for young users.
2. Jim Stott's Ultimate Magic Cards
Card Magic for Tweens
Jim Stott’s magic kit gives your child the chance to engage in one of the oldest magic tricks known to man. The kit contains four specialty cards — magic svengali deck, wizard stripper deck, phantom marked deck, and the vanishing card case.
You will find a comprehensive instruction manual to teach your kids how to perform over 200 tricks. It will not be long before your child becomes a pro. You can expect to say “wow” a lot as your child stages their act.
The kit is recommended for children aged 8 and above, offering great entertainment for people of all ages. Also included is a welcome letter from the magician himself, granting you access to a secret website for more material.
- This kit is easily portable.
- Instructional video accessed by an online link.
- Entertainment for all ages.
- An excellent icebreaker.
- Some of the tricks are really hard to master.
3. Jim Stott's First Magic Kit
Perfect for Young Beginners
From the same magician as the previous kit, this kit is suitable for children aged 5 and above. It’s perfect for kids who are just beginning to show interest in the world of magic. With simple and easy-to-learn tricks, your child will be impressing their audience in no time.
The kit comes with a wand, magic coloring book, exploding dice, and a magic pencil. You will also find a color-changing handkerchief, appearing flower, and a mystery drawer box.
Your child will have access to online tutorial videos that teach even more tricks. They will be engaged for hours as they build their confidence to perform tricks for their cohorts.
- Easy-to-master tricks.
- Made by a professional magician.
- Access to online tutorials from Jim Stott himself.
- Great for the younger magic enthusiasts.
- Some components are not the best quality.
4. Scientific Explorer Magic Science Kit
For Wizards Only
The inquisitive child who wants to know the science behind magic will find this kit fun, informative, and educational. This make-it-yourself kit is suitable for children aged 6 and above, however, it’s for wizards only!
The magic kit comes with an activity guide, test tubes, measuring scoops, and an assortment of chemicals. Your kid will also get to create their own wizard hat, an important accessory for serious wizards.
The kids will be engaged in nine fun activities, including creating test-tube crystals and a fizzy frenzy, among others. In between exploration and entertainment, there will much learning and tons of laughter.
- Science-based magic kit.
- Cast spells and create concoctions.
- Fun for the whole family.
- Given the ingredients and projects, adults might need to supervise.
5. Melissa & Doug Classic Magic Tricks
Classic Magic Moments
Any magic-loving 8-year-old will appreciate this set of tricks. Your child will have a chance to master and perform some of the well-known magic tricks and illusions. It’s a great kit for individual play or when they’re having friends over for a party or sleepover.
From a vanishing coin to a disappearing ball, and magic number prediction, this kit is designed to improve hand-eye coordination. Additionally, some of the tricks require a bit of thinking so they’ll stretch your child’s imagination.
- Easy to learn magic tricks.
- Comes with a cool and sturdy storage box.
- Quality materials used.
- Child-friendly instructions.
- The kit contains only 10 tricks.
6. Ideal Magic Spectacular Magic Suitcase
Magic on the Go
Looking for a magic kit that allows your little magician to travel in style? This is your go-to magic kit. It comes with a suitcase that also doubles as a magician’s table, a wand, and a hat. Your child can put on a show anywhere.
Suitable for children aged 8 and above, the kit contains tons of quality props. Your child can learn and master up to 100 tricks, including multiplying balls, a magic card shuffle, disappearing juice, and more.
- Access to online videos for more tricks.
- The magician’s hat makes for serious business.
- Versatile suitcase for storage, practice, and performance.
- The “suitcase” is made from sturdy cardboard, but may not be too durable.
7. Criss Angel Platinum Magic Kit
For Little MindFreaks
If your children like watching popular magicians in action, they’ll love this magic kit by Criss Angel. It provides a comprehensive tutorial of over 350 tricks for beginners, intermediate, and advanced young magicians, from 8 years old.
Your kids will learn magic tricks from one of the best magicians alive. They’ll have tons of fun conducting stage performances and showing off their mastery of mind-blowing illusions.
The kit includes cups and balls, penetration glass, sponge balls, a secret floating device, and the “MindFreak” secret deck, among others.
- An included manual for trick time.
- Learn from a master illusionist.
- Hundreds of magic tricks.
- Levitation secrets included.
- The instructional DVD is basic and short, so reading the manual is a must.
Winding up Magical Marvels
Watching magic tricks and performances is delightful, but knowing what’s going on behind the scenes is even better. Buying one of the best magic kits for kids will allow your child to explore the intriguing magical concepts that make this hobby so mysterious.
My favorite magic kit is the Learn & Climb jumbo magic kit. With hundreds of magic tricks to learn, your child’s imagination and creativity will be challenged and stretched. Setting up performances for their audience will greatly boost their self-esteem.
What’s your favorite magic set? Does your child love performing tricks for the family? Please let us know in the comments, and don’t forget to hit the share button.