Yoga and exercise not only help kids with flexibility and muscle tone, but it also improves focus and reduces stress. Kids need good mats to do yoga without hurting themselves.
The best yoga mats for kids provide a cushioned surface on which to practice and traction to prevent them, or the mat from slipping. Not only that, a yoga mat gives a defined place in which to practice and makes it feel more like a defined activity.
If you’ve been on the hunt for good exercise mats for your kiddos, we’ve rounded up 10 for toddlers, tweens, and teens.
- Safe mat with grip on both surfaces
- Durable product with lifetime guarantee
- Free downloadable kid’s yoga class
- 100% non-toxic
- Durable, thick, 5mm mat
- Videos and app included
- Less than half the price of other mats
- Grippy, textured surface for safe use
- Child-friendly prints
- Travel-friendly with storage & carry bag
- Has 11 large yoga pose cards
- Lightweight & easy to roll up
- Easy to carry at only 165 lbs
- Dual-layered & reversible
- Good grip & safe for younger kids
- Machine washable & super easy to clean
- Made by US family-run business
- More affordable than other options
- Includes how-to poster to guide kids
- Matching adult & child mat option
- Free app & instructional videos
- Printed with 24 yoga poses
- Soft & foamy texture
- Plenty of room for taller kids
- Includes a carrying strap
- Safe organic rubber
- Washes easily by hand
- Bright colors & cheerful graphics
- Tiles can be re-arranged
- Perfect for playtime
The Best Kids Yoga Mats of 2023
Taking the criteria above into account and combining it with our experiences, and a rundown of online reviews, these are our favorite yoga mats for kids.
1. Gaiam Kids Yoga Mat For Kids
Best Yoga Mat for Toddlers
This sweet little yoga mat for kids has a cute design on one side and a solid color on the other. There are five options with graphics, including birds, dinosaurs, and a rocket ship, and a semi-metallic, tri-color mermaid pattern.
Although the mat is made from PVC, which would be a negative for some people, it is free from harmful phthalates.
The mat can be spot cleaned with warm soapy water or even washed in the bath. Plus, because it will not absorb moisture, there’s no need to worry about trying to heave a soaking, heavy sponge from the tub.
At 3mm thick, it’s on the thinner end of the scale, but the quality is such that your child’s more likely to grow too big for this mat before it wears out and needs replacing.
- Safe mat with plenty of grip on both surfaces.
- Durable product with a lifetime guarantee.
- Comes with a free downloadable kid’s yoga class.
- Some users felt there was a plastic smell, while others did not.
|Dimensions||60 x 24 inches|
|Age Range||5 – 8 years|
2. Chi Universe Yoga Mat
Best Easy-to-Clean Yoga Mats For Kids
The premium Chi Universe children’s yoga mat is 5mm thick and has excellent grip, making it ideal for children who enjoy regular yoga practice. Meanwhile, it includes a free photos, videos and mobile app for a detailed yoga instruction that’ll make yoga fun.
The Chi Universe mat is made of thermoplastic polyvinyl chloride and is 100 percent tested non-toxic.
The material of this mat is exceptionally easy to keep clean. All it took was a quick wipe with a damp cloth, and it was looking as good as new.
- 100% non-toxic material.
- Durable, thick, 5mm mat for proper cushioning.
- Videos and app included.
- Quiet expensive.
|Age Range||4 – 9 years|
3. YogaDirect Fun Yoga Mat for Kids
Best Cheap Yoga Mat for Kids
This highly affordable children’s yoga mat from YogaDirect comes in either blue with turtles, orange with smiling suns, or pink with butterflies design. Although it is thinner than some options, this is easily offset by the fact it’s more economical to buy two of these than one of some other options.
The high-tack sticky surface keeps the mat firmly in place on both hardwood and carpet, and the rounded corners also help to maintain its position.
While the mats are inexpensive, they do stand up well to plenty of use, and ours showed no signs of damage or wear after six months.
- Less than half the price of some other mats.
- Grippy, textured surface for safe use.
- Child-friendly prints.
- Listed as 6 mm thick but only 3mm.
- Strong odor when first unwrapped.
|Dimensions||60 x 24 inches|
|Age Range||3 – 8 years|
4. AbTech Kids Yoga Mat Set
Best Yoga Mat Set For Kids
This yoga mat, pose cards, and storage bag combo is terrific for defining yoga practice as a fun activity over which your child has some control. We use the pose cards by letting our youngest child lay them out in the order she would like to perform the poses.
The cards show a cartoon yogi performing the pose, how to get into position, and the muscle groups that are targeted. They also have both the original Sanskrit name of the pose and the English translation, giving your child a feel for the history of yoga.
The mat is made from a polymer resin PVC and is labeled as being phthalate and latex-free, so it would be safe for a family with latex allergies to consider. It also weighs only 2.6 lbs, making it easy for a mini-yogi to roll and carry.
- Travel-friendly, with a storage and carry bag.
- Has 11 large yoga pose cards.
- Lightweight and easy for a child to roll up.
- Cards do not provide instructions for the poses.
- Design won’t appeal to everyone.
|Dimensions||60 x 24|
|Age Range||3 – 12 years|
|Material||Latex, phthalate-free PVC|
5. Yogi Junior Extra Thick Yoga Mat for Kids
Safest Yoga Mat for Kids
Both of the dual layers of this yoga mat from Yogi Junior have significant texturing, making it feel grippier and less inclined to slip than other mats. It also helps that both sides have substantial texturing, which is comfortable yet sticky enough to stay put.
The mat is made from TPE, and free from PVC, phthalates, latex, and BPA.
Yogi Junior says the mats are biodegradable, and their inks are eco-friendly. We’re not fans of general, unregulated claims such as eco-friendly, so we contacted them for more details. So far, we haven’t heard how the inks are eco-friendly or how long it takes for a mat to biodegrade.
- Easy to carry at only 1.65 lbs.
- Dual-layered and reversible, so less frequent cleaning.
- Very “grippy” and safe for younger kids.
- Design and colors have limited appeal.
- Shorter than similar mats.
|Dimensions||52 x 24 inches|
|Age Range||0 – 7|
6. Bean Products Kids Yoga Mat
Best Non-Slip Yoga Mat For Kids
This kid’s yoga mat from Bean Products is just over 3mm thick. Having said that, it showed no signs of wear after several months of use. That, balanced with the low price point, means it is still definitely a worthwhile option.
There are eleven designs to choose from, most of which are primary solid colors. However, there is a cute yoga posing panda and an emoji option that might appeal if plain colors don’t float your boat.
Having mucky kids myself, I was a fan of the fact that these mats are machine washable. While I wouldn’t make a habit of throwing it into the washing machine for every mark, it was a useful option when I discovered the dried-on yogurt.
- Machine washable — super easy to clean.
- Made in the US by a family-run business
- More affordable than other options.
- Thinner than similar mats.
- Mostly plain colors available.
|Dimensions||60 x 24 inches|
|Age Range||4 – 9 years|
7. Phresh LLC Kids, Tween, & Adult Yoga Mats
Best Yoga Mat For Tweens
A little narrower than most mats, this option is available in kids and adult sizes, making it great for encouraging little yogis who want to be just like the grown-ups. The accompanying poster and the placement of shapes on the mat help you to pose correctly.
The free app, instructional videos, and poster provide excellent value, but the app and games may encourage more screen time — which may be exactly what you’re trying to get away from.
However, on balance, it’s a good option for tweens who may be moving away from activities with parents. By connecting the amount of time they were allowed on the app with the amount of time they spent in poses, excess screen time wasn’t a problem.
- Includes a how-to poster to guide kids.
- Matching adult and child mat options.
- Free app and instructional videos.
- Testers felt the graphics were “odd.”
- The app and games may encourage screen time.
|Dimensions||60 x 18 ½ inches|
|Age Range||4 – 9|
8. Really Good Stuff: Children’s Yoga Mat
Best Beginners Yoga Mat For Kids
This yoga mat is made of PVC, but it has a foamy texture to it that makes the mat feel more like a foam sleep roll for camping than a genuine yoga mat. Also, the top doesn’t have a textured surface, so there was higher slip potential with this one.
We found that this mat seems to take on dirt more readily than others. While we were able to wipe the dirt away with a damp cloth, we did have to do this more frequently to keep the mat clean, and who wants to clean things more often than they have to?
Think of this as an adequate yoga mat that could double as a sleeping roll or a spot for a quiet moment.
- Printed with 24 yoga poses.
- Soft, foamy texture is excellent for toddlers and babies to play on.
- Plenty of room for taller kids.
- Doesn’t always lay pleasingly flat.
- Appears to get dirty quickly.
- Top surface is untextured, so sweaty kids may slip.
|Dimensions||68 x 24 inches|
|Age Range||4 years to 14 years|
9. Zuly: Eco-Friendly Kids Yoga Mat
Most Durable Yoga Mat For Kids
These kid’s yoga mats from Zuly come in four fun designs, with our favorite being the space option.
They have a dual-layer construction with a ribbed, organic rubber lower surface, and a top side of printed microfiber suede. The rubber is particularly grippy on all of the floor surfaces we tried, and we didn’t experience a single slip on the microfiber suede.
We like that the mats come with a coordinating carrying strap, which makes it easier for the kids to take the mat out and about, to a class, or round to a friend’s place.
The mat can be washed with a spray of warm soapy water or a soak in the bathtub, and then it has to be left outside to dry thoroughly.
- Includes a carrying strap for lugging it about.
- Safe organic rubber.
- Washes easily by hand.
- More expensive yoga mat.
|Dimensions||60 x 24 inches|
|Age Range||3 – 12 years|
|Material||Microfiber Suede and Organic rubber|
10. Alex Active: Yoga Kids Activity Exercise Mat
Best Colorful Yoga Mat for Kids
Rather than a traditional roll-up and roll-out yoga mat, this example from Alex Active is a series of 24 interlocking tiles.
Each tile is roughly 6 inches square – depending on whether you measure at the base of the connectors or the tip. If you put the tiles together to form a mat the same as the packaging, the final yoga mat will be roughly 46.2 x 17.7 inches.
If you’re not too concerned about your child being able to practice yoga “properly,” then this mat is a good, flexible option for the under four years old set.
However, the tiles can sometimes come up from the floor, meaning if you are looking for a children’s yoga mat that is safe and supportive of genuine poses, this is not the mat you are looking for.
- Bright colors and cheerful graphics for younger kids.
- Tiles can be arranged in various configurations.
- Perfect for playtime — not necessarily yoga alone.
- Tiles can come apart during active use.
|Dimensions||46.2 x 17.7 inches|
|Age Range||Up to 4 years|
|Gaiam Kids Yoga Mat||Yoga Mat for Toddlers||60 x 24″||3mm||5 – 8 years||PVC|
|Chi Universe Yoga Mat||Easy-to-Clean Yoga Mats For Kids||N/A||5mm||4 – 9 years||Polyvinyl chloride|
|YogaDirect Fun Yoga Mat||Cheap Yoga Mat for Kids||60 x 24″||3 mm||3 – 8 years||PVC|
|AbTech Kids Yoga Mat Set||Yoga Mat Set For Kids||60 x 24||5 mm||3 – 12 years||Latex, phthalate-free PVC|
|Yogi Junior Extra Thick Yoga Mat||Safest Yoga Mat for Kids||52 x 24″||6mm||0 – 7||TPE foam|
|Bean Products Kids Yoga Mat||Non-Slip Yoga Mat For Kids||60 x 24″||3 mm||4 – 9 years||Clean PVC™|
|Phresh Yoga Mats||Yoga Mat For Tweens||60 x 18 ½”||5 mm||4 – 9||PVC|
|Really Good Stuff: Children’s Yoga Mat||Beginners Yoga Mat For Kids||68 x 24″||5mm||4 years – 14 years||PVC|
|Zuly: Eco-Friendly Yoga Mat||Most Durable Yoga Mat For Kids||60 x 24″||10 mm||3 – 12 years||Microfiber Suede & Organic rubber|
|Alex Active: Activity Exercise Mat||Colorful Yoga Mat for Kids||46.2 x 17.7″||6 mm||Up – 4 years||Foam|
Uses of Yoga Mats for Kids
The main benefits of yoga mats for kids are:
- Children’s yoga mats provide a slightly cushioned surface on which to practice. This makes certain poses more comfortable, especially if they are held for 30 seconds or more.
- Yoga mats for kids have surfaces that provide more grip than a rubber sleep roll. This prevents your child from sliding on the mat’s surface, which can become surprisingly slippery. It also minimizes the chances of the mat sliding on the floor while your child is in a pose.
- A yoga mat can give focus to the practice and clearly define it as an activity, rather than it feeling like just a way of stretching before you do something else.
- Having a yoga mat can make your child feel grown-up and, consequently, more inclined to keep practicing.
How to Choose the Best Yoga Mats for Kids
These are the criteria we considered when reviewing the best yoga mats for kids.
Tips for Getting Kids to Exercise
If your little one is reluctant to exercise, there are plenty of ways to encourage them. Check out our top tips and try the ones most likely to work for your kids.
Keep It Fun
Nagging your child, being overly competitive, comparing them to others — these are all excellent ways to ensure your kids will hate doing something. And exercise is no different. Instead of making exercise a chore, make it a fun activity they’ll enjoy, or at least not hate with a passion.
For yoga, in particular, when you try a cat pose, encourage your child to meow like a cat. If you’re using tree pose, get them to sway like a tree. Whichever poses you choose, try sound effects, movements, and the like to keep things fun.
Make It a Family Affair
Your child is more likely to exercise and enjoy doing so if they see you and other family members doing the same thing. Encourage everyone to join in and if they all have competing interests, take it in turns.
With yoga, take it in turns to choose the poses, the time of day you’ll be practicing, or the location. We’ve had lots of fun taking turns to select the pose and turning it into a storytelling process.
For example, a cat pose followed by a downward-facing dog and a tree pose told the story of a cat walking through the garden when a dog noticed it and chased the poor cat up a tree. It turned out the cat was a warrior (pose) and won the animal war by turning into a cat/cow.
Invite Their Friends
If family participation isn’t a motivator, then perhaps inviting friends to join in could help. The only thing to be mindful of is that if their friends have no inclination to be active, this one could backfire on you.
Our youngest daughter became enthusiastic about yoga practice when she invited her friends around for impromptu yoga sessions in the yard.
Skip the Organized Sports
Some kids thrive on competition and enjoy either solo or team-organized sports and activities. However, as they get older, many kids become overly competitive, discouraging children who are not as athletic as others.
If your child isn’t competitive or finds the other kids have a downer on them because they’re not at an elite level, skip organized sports.
Let Them Lead the Way
If you’re trying to get your child more active, ask what they would like to do or give them options to choose from. This will make them more likely to participate and enjoy themselves.
For yoga, ask which poses your child wants to try, when they would like to practice, or where. Giving your child an element of control is more likely to make them want to join in.
Live an Active Lifestyle
Look for ways to incorporate activity into your overall lifestyle. For example, walking or cycling rather than taking the car or bus can be a great exercise.
Yoga’s a Fabulous Kid’s Activity
Not only does yoga promote movement, build strength, and develop flexibility, it is also an excellent way to reduce stress, calm the mind, and teach your child a degree of control over their emotions.
A kid’s yoga mat makes practicing yoga more comfortable, safer and defines an activity that can otherwise feel insubstantial and temporary.