When looking for a car shade for your baby, you’ll discover a wide range of products.
Some features are invaluable for protecting your child from the sun’s rays, but others can prove to be unnecessary and inconvenient.
We’ve experimented with a variety of models and have created this list of the best car shades for babies based on their level of sun protection, ease of use, and affordability. With one of these great picks, you can rest assured your little one will travel contentedly, without the sun’s glare in their eyes, and you won’t have to worry about its harmful rays on their skin.
- Blocks 97% of UV rays
- Covers generous area of window
- Very lightweight and compact
- Equivalent to SPF 30 protection
- You get 4 shades
- Money back guarantee
- Won’t fall off or lose suction
- Covers the entire window
- Easy to install
- PVC-free materials
- Flexible mesh
- Includes a bonus e-book
- Fits most cars
- Magnetic attachment
- Can roll up and down with windows
- Superior visibility
- Features white hot indicator
- Dual attachment modes
- Quick-retract button
- Ease of installation
- Compact and lightweight
- Static cling window attachment
- Includes 2 shades
- Holds strong, but comes down easily
- Securely affixed suction cup
- Adjustable pivot design
- Blocks both glare and sun's rays
- Very affordable
- Anti-UV protection
- Well-affixed suction cups
Why Do I Need a Car Sun Shade?
UVA exposure is associated with:
- Premature aging.
- Immunity suppression.
- Skin cancer development.
- Increased melanoma risk.
- Macular degeneration.
- Some types of eye cancers (2).
- Skin cancer on the eyelid.
- Corneal sunburn.
- Pterygium (growth on the cornea).
The best car shades for babies will provide UVA protection, adding an additional layer of protection between your baby and the sun, protecting them from potential eye and skin damage.
A sun shade also contributes to your child’s comfort. Because they’re sitting in a soft, cushioned car seat, they can often get quite hot. If the sunshine is streaming down on your baby, it can increase their temperature even further. A well-chosen barrier will help block this direct sunlight and keep some of the heat off your baby.
Types of Sun Shades
There are several types on the market.
They come in all different sizes to accommodate different-sized windows, from large minivans to more compact vehicles.
- Pop-Out: These have a wire frame that “pops out” to its full size when removed from the packaging. They’re typically rectangular in shape and affix to the window with suction cups.
- Pull-Down: These attach to your car’s window and can be pulled up or down (much like a window shade in your home) depending on whether it’s needed.
- Static Cling: This type of design sticks to your car’s window without using suction cups. It’s easily removed when not in use.
- Semi-Permanent: This is a simple DIY window tinting. You can cut the film to the size of your windows for a custom fit and stick it to the window. It’s a semi-permanent solution, meaning it isn’t meant to be removed or reapplied.
How to Choose a Car Shade for Kids
These are the features we consider when evaluating the best car shades for babies:
As your car’s windows already block UVB rays, UVA rays are the biggest concern. The higher the UVA protection, the safer your baby’s skin will be. We prefer sun shades that offer at least 97% protection from UVA rays.
Large Suction Cups
To be effective, a window shade needs to stay adhered to the window! If you choose one with suction cups, make sure they’re large to ensure the shade won’t fall off during travel and become a choking hazard.
If you’re concerned about possible chemical exposure, you’ll want to avoid static-cling sun shades as they’re usually made with PVC, which is linked to various long-term illnesses. Instead, you may prefer a shade that adheres with suction cups.
Removable or Semi-Permanent
Decide whether you’d like to transfer your window shade between windows and vehicles or remove it on occasion. If you want a solution that will stay on the window long-term, you may want to choose a semi-permanent solution.
Be aware of your car’s window shape and size when purchasing a window shade. You want to make sure the one you choose will fit and cover as much of the window as possible.
In the unfortunate event of a crash, having a lightweight sun shade that won’t detach from the window and injure your child can make all the difference. Sun shades that cling to the window are ideal, but if you choose a suction cup model, choose one that’s lightweight.
The Best Car Sun Shades of 2022
Here are our favorite sun shades currently on the market.
1. Kinder Fluff Car Sun Shade
Thick and Dark
These shades offer you the darkest mesh legally possible to protect your little one’s eyes. They’re also manufactured to be larger than many other models, so they’re suitable for minivans and vehicles with large rear windows.
It uses static cling to attach to the window and comes in a 4-pack along with a carrying case for easy storage and transport. It’s easy to install and remove these without damaging your window, and they block 97% of UV rays from your little one’s eyes and skin.
Finally, the lightweight construction means your baby can’t hurt themselves if they inadvertently get their hands on it.
- It covers a generous area of the window.
- Blocks 97% of UV rays.
- Very lightweight and compact.
- It’s a good value since you get 4 shades in two transparencies.
- Unclear if it contains PVC.
- It may be too large for smaller vehicles.
- Some users did not find it durable over time.
2. Enovoe Car Window Shades
Static Cling Technology
Designed specifically to offer coverage in larger vehicles, these large window shades will fit the windows in your minivan or SUV.
The mesh provides 97% UV protection while still maintaining safety and visibility for the driver. And since you get 4, you can install one on either side of your vehicle.
There are no adhesives that will damage your car’s window or custom tint and no suction cups to pose a choking hazard.
And since it comes with a lifetime no-questions-asked money-back guarantee, you can buy this with confidence, knowing that if you’re unhappy with your purchase, you can return it without a problem.
- It offers 97% UV protection.
- You get 4 shades.
- There’s a money-back guarantee.
- Children can easily peel them off.
- They likely contain PVC, although it’s not clearly stated.
3. Zotooto Car Rear Window Sun Shade
This innovative full-coverage sun shade protects without the need for suction cups or static cling.
It stretches around the window, even allowing it to be rolled up while installed. Through a system of magnets, it can attach to nearly any style of car rear window.
This offers protection from 97% of UV rays, providing the equivalent of SPF 30 coverage. It’s lightweight and, since it’s firmly affixed to your vehicle, won’t pose a projectile risk in the event of a crash.
- It won’t fall off or lose suction.
- It covers the entire window, so you don’t get sunshine peeking through on the sides.
- Easy to install.
- Highly adjustable.
- Not long enough for SUVs or minivans.
4. ShadeSox Universal Fit Car Side
Best for the Whole Family
Your most precious cargo are in the backseat! No matter how old your children are, you can protect them from sun exposure with this universal car shade. It covers the entire window.
Because it’s made of stretchy nylon material, it fits nearly all car models and is easy to install. Just open the door and place it over the entire window and frame. It’ll stay in place while providing total protection from the sun.
You can even roll down the windows without having to remove this sun shade. We also like that it comes in a two-pack, so you can cover both backseat windows. These car shades will protect against sunburn, overheating, sun glare, and dangerous UV exposure.
It also comes with a bonus e-book gift with ten creative ideas for keeping children occupied in the backseat while traveling.
- Easy to install on nearly all car models.
- The flexible mesh protects against the sun.
- Includes a bonus e-book with tips for car rides.
- Nylon fabric is PVC free.
- It covers the entire window, so visibility is reduced slightly.
5. Munchkin Brica Magnetic Sun Shade
Best Magnetic Sun Shade
Sun shades can sometimes be a challenge to stick to the window. But this stretchy magnetic shade is easy to fasten and remove. The best part? It stays secure during the car journey because once the door is shut, your child can’t tear it off. You can even roll the windows up and down without any issue.
Of course, your car door frame needs to be magnetic for this to work. Test if your door frame is magnetic first by using a household magnet.
This shade blocks harmful UVA and UVB rays, prevents glare, and can even lower your car’s temperature a little bit.
- Fits most cars.
- Magnetic attachment.
- You can still roll windows up and down.
- Stays secure.
- It doesn’t block a lot of light.
- Tricky to custom fit on some cars.
6. Brica White Car Shade
Best Retractable Car Shade
Traditionally, car shades can be tricky to take on and off. Save yourself the trouble with this retractable set. Simply press a button to roll the shade up when you don’t need it.
In this pack, you get two car shades. They have a dual attachment mode, so you can choose between the adjustable swivel window clips, the suction cups, or both. The premium mesh fabric provides superior visibility while helping to filter harmful UVA and UVB rays.
One of our favorite features is the white-hot indicator. On the bottom of each screen is a little button that acts as an alert system. It’s normally red, but when it turns white, you know your car is too hot and may be a danger to your baby. The shades also have secure latches that go over the window, so it is very secure.
There are a few benefits to having retractable shades. You get increased visibility at night and on cloudy days. Plus, your children can have the option to enjoy the beautiful views when the sun isn’t so bright.
- Increase visibility whenever you need it with the push of a button.
- White-hot indicator alerts you when the car is too hot.
- Dual attachment modes are extra secure.
- Older children may have too much fun pulling the shade up and down.
- You have to be careful when rolling windows down.
7. VaygWay Retractable Shade
Roll Up, Roll Down
This retractable sun shade can be pulled down when needed and retracted when it’s not.
It comes in a two-pack, so you can install one on either side of your rear car windows, and the black mesh color allows for maximum driver visibility with minimal distraction.
Each shade is affixed to the window with three large, detachable suction cups that won’t cause damage and can be easily removed or moved to another vehicle. The mesh screen blocks the sun’s harmful rays, keeping your baby’s eyes and skin as protected as possible.
- It can be retracted at night for better visibility.
- You can roll down your window while installed (when retracted).
- It blocks UV rays.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Suction cups are easily removable.
- Easily pulled down by older children.
8. iZoeL Static Cling Side Window Sun Shade
Best Static Cling Shade
Suction cups can be pulled off, and adhesives may damage the glass of your car windows. Try this unique static cling sun shade instead. It uses the power of static cling to adhere to your window, keeping a long-lasting hold that can also be easily pulled off.
Each shade contains educational designs such as numbers and alphabets. One side is made of static cling material, while the other features a protective mesh that blocks up to 97% of damaging UV rays with a learning design. The entire thing is held together with reinforced flexible steel wire.
When you don’t need to use it, simply give a slight tug and twist. The shade will fold down into a compact shape which is easily stored away in the included traveling bag.
This pack comes in two shades. If you’re constantly in the carpool lane, these shades protect your children when the sun is shining but can be easily stored away when you don’t need them.
- Uses the strength of static cling to attach the shade without trouble.
- Comes with two shades.
- Educational design.
- Cannot be used with rolled windows.
9. TFY Car Window Shade
The sun’s angle changes as you drive, so it’s handy that you can adjust your sun shade when it does. This pivoting style provides high- and medium-level sunblock protection and can be easily adjusted based on the sun’s position.
The mesh is effective yet still allows adequate visibility for safety when driving.
It contains one suction cup which is screwed into the screens, so it will not fall off and turn into a choking hazard for your child.
And since it is not a “static-cling” style of shade, it’s constructed only of mesh without any PVC.
- The suction cup is securely affixed to the shade.
- It’s adjustable with the pivot design.
- Reduces heat in vehicle.
- It doesn’t specify the UV protection level.
- Babies cannot adjust the screen as needed.
- You cannot roll down the window with it installed.
10. Unicorn Car Sun Shade
You don’t need a boring black car shade for your baby — these cute and kid-friendly shades include an adorable design.
They have built-in suction cups that, although removable, are not very easy to disassemble, so it minimizes the choking hazard to your child.
This also offers UV protection along with its durable construction, so you can see through them to ensure safety while driving.
And since they’re easy to remove, you can transfer them between cars or adjust them based on sun position to keep the light out of your little one’s eyes no matter where you are.
- Very affordable.
- They fit most car windshield.
- The suction cups are well-affixed.
- A bit clunky.
- The design may obscure the view and distract the driver.
- The exact UV protection is not specified.
11. EcoNour Windows Sunshade for Baby
Best Dual Layer Shade
These dual-layer shades give you two sides to choose from: mesh or static cling. The thick 80 GSM mesh keeps the sun out of your eyes. The static cling side helps the shade remain strong and firm for a long time. Plus, you can hang these up without adhesive or suction cups.
These durable shades also come in two intensities: transparent and semi-transparent. You can switch them out, depending on how bright the sun is.
They block harmful UV rays so your kids are safer during long car journeys, especially during the summer time.
Finally, when you aren’t using these, you can easily fold them up in the included pouch and pop them in the trunk or car seat storage. You can also wash these when they get dirty or dusty.
- Two transparency intensities.
- Protects from UV rays.
- They don’t fit larger windows.
- The semi-transparent style is very dark, making it unsafe to drive with these on.