- Meaning: Fallon means “in charge” and “leader” in Irish. It also means “superiority or descended from a ruler” in Irish and Gaelic.
- Gender: While Fallon is a unisex given name, it has more feminine popularity.
- Origin: Fallon is of Irish and Gaelic origin.
- Pronunciation: “FA-luhn”
- Popularity: Fallon is a fairly popular name in the United States, ranking at number 725 for girls born in 2021.
- Nicknames: Fal, Fall, Fallie, Fally, Falcon, Lon, Lonnie.
- Variations: Fallan, Fallen, Falin, Faline, Falon, Fallyn.
- Namesakes: Fallon Fox, Fallon Kelly, Fallon King, Fallon Smith, Fallon Taylor.
- What Does Fallon Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Fallon?
- How Popular Is the Name Fallon?
- How Do I Pronounce Fallon?
- Is Fallon a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Fallon
- Nicknames for Fallon
- Similar Names to Fallon
- Middle Names for Fallon
- Sibling Names for Fallon
- Famous People Named Fallon
- Fallon in Popular Culture
- Fallon FAQs
What Does Fallon Mean?
Fallon means “in charge” and “leader” in Irish. It also means “superiority or descended from a ruler” in Irish and Gaelic.
What Is the Origin of the Name Fallon?
Some Irish individuals descended from the man with the last name Fallamhan, which is where Fallon comes from. This surname means “leader.” Naturally, the modern-day name Fallon took on this same meaning, too. The translation for this surname is “descendent of Fallamhan.”
As surnames became more popular to use as first names, Fallon was one of the first surnames to become a unisex given name. It became more predominant as a given name when the 1980s show “Dynasty” featured a female lead character named Fallon (2).
How Popular Is the Name Fallon?
Fallon is a relatively popular name in the United States, primarily for girls. In 2021, it ranked 725th. It first hit the top 1,000 list in 1981 when it placed 715th, but its most popular year was 1992 when it hit 376th (3).
The name remained on the top 1,000 list from 1981 to 1995 before it fell off from 1996. It only reentered the charts in 2019, when it ranked 962nd.
How Do I Pronounce Fallon?
Fallon is pronounced as “FA-luhn” for American and British pronunciation. However, there are common pronunciations depending on region and country, such as “FA-len.”
Is Fallon a Boy or Girl Name?
Fallon is a unisex name. However, Fallon is mostly a baby girl name. It has never ranked in the 1000 names for boys. Since Fallon is more of a mainstream feminine name, Phelan is a more masculine alternative.
Variations of Fallon
Fallon is a beautiful name as it is spelled already. However, you may want to get creative with the spelling to be more unique when signing the birth certificate These are the variations of Fallon that we recommend:
- Fallan (Irish)
- Fallen (Scottish and Irish)
- Falin (Irish and Slavic)
- Faline (Latin)
- Falon (Irish)
- Fallyn (Irish)
Nicknames for Fallon
Fallon is a whimsical name with many three to six-letter nickname options. If you’re curious about what nicknames are available, the following would be cut choices for your little girl:
Similar Names to Fallon
Fallon may not sound like the exact name you want to give your little girl. As you hold it into consideration, weigh your options with a name that is similar to Fallon, such as by sound or origin:
Middle Names for Fallon
Fallon is an ardent and beautiful feminine name that would flow well with middle names beginning with a vowel or a consonant. These middle names are an excellent match for the name Fallon:
Sibling Names for Fallon
If you have a girl named Fallon already, you may be wondering which sibling names go well with Fallon. These are the sibling names that would be perfect for a brother or sister of a girl named Fallon:
For a brother:
For a sister:
Famous People Named Fallon
Since Fallon is a popular name, some famous people have borne it. Some of the most prominent figures with the name Fallon include:
- Fallon Fox: American mixed martial artist.
- Fallon Kelly: United States Attorney.
- Fallon King: American singer and member of the band, Cherish.
- Fallon Smith: American actress.
- Fallon Taylor: American barrel racer.
Fallon in Popular Culture
Fallon is a name that shows up in songs, video games, television shows, and cartoons. Among its many references in popular culture, you might have encountered:
- Fallon: Antagonist on “Elphame’s Choice” for PC.
- Fallon: Book character in Lesley Livingston’s “The Valiant” series.
- Fallon: Character in the movie, “Barbie and the Twelve Dancing Princesses.”
- Fallon Carrington: Character on the popular 1980s television show, “Dynasty.”
- Princess Fallon: Protagonist in Shannon Drake’s book, “Princess of Fire.”
Fallon may be one of your first name choices for your baby girl, but we understand if you have not made your final choice yet. Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about the name Fallon.
Is Fallon a Pretty Name?
Fallon is a pretty name that is adventurous, different, and a breath of fresh air. Since it ranks in the 700s on the top 1,000 baby girl names list, you do not hear many women with this name. Hence, more girls with this name will feel special and unique.
Is Fallon a Spanish Name?
Fallon does not have any Spanish origins. Its main origins are Gaelic and Irish.
Why Is Fallon More Common as a Surname in Ireland?
There is no hard-or-fast rule as to why that is the case, but few people are named Fallon in Ireland. As a surname, Fallon has been around much longer and referenced the clan name Ó Fallamháin.