For babies, learning to sit requires time, practice, muscle strength, and balance. But there are things you can do to help your little one along.
Baby floor seats provide a supportive place for babies to explore their environment while they work on the required sitting skills. But with so many different options on the market, how do you know which one will be best for your baby?
We’ll discuss baby floor seats in-depth, explaining and comparing their features. Plus, with countless hours of research and reading in-depth reviews under our belt, we’ve selected the top ten choices to help you make the right decision for your baby.
- Recommended by physical therapists
- Lifetime return or replace policy
- Easy to carry with built-in handle
- Converts to booster, high chair, table
- Cushioned seat has 3 recline positions
- Can be configured for 2 children
- Lightweight & foldable design
- Can be strapped to a chair
- Stable with non-slip duck feet
- Comes in several cute cushioned fabric
- Comes with a variety of sensory toys
- Dishwasher-safe tray is Bpa-free
- Multi-use seat for sitting & tummy time
- Bright design with attached toys
- Entire seat can be thrown in washer
- Folds up flat for storage & travel
- Fabric seat pad is easy to remove
- Comes in gender-neutral patterns
- All surfaces are easy to hand wash
- Multipurpose for playing & feeding
- Includes storage space
- One-piece design
- Safe & sturdy design
- Soft all-foam seat
- Stimulating musical activities
- Lots of room for chubby legs
- Has snack tray cup holder
- Stimulating activity tray with toys
- Two cup holders for spill-safe space
- Comes with foam attachment
How to Choose the Best Baby Floor Seats
With so many different models to choose from, each having its own unique features, it’s important to know what to look for in a baby floor seat.
A sturdy floor seat will keep your baby safe as they sit. The best seats have a wide base to prevent tipping. A safety belt or harness will secure your child in the seat so they can’t fall out. Avoid flimsy trays and toy bars that might be easily damaged or have gaps that can pinch little fingers.
If you want your baby to enjoy their new floor seat, consider how soft it is. Look for seats that are foam-based or include sufficient padding. If your baby has chubby thighs, find a seat with adequate leg space. Ensure that trays have soft edges and can be easily removed and replaced when getting your baby in and out.
Baby floor seats come in a wide variety of styles, colors, and fabric prints. Find one that suits your desires. Do you want bright colors and patterns with add-on toys to stimulate and excite your baby? Or do soft, neutral tones fit better with your home decor?
Ease of Cleaning
Babies spit up, drool, have diaper blow-outs, and make all kinds of messes with their snacks and meals. The fewer pieces and attachments your seat has, the easier it will be to wipe clean.
If your floor seat has a fabric base, ensure that it can easily be removed, laundered, and replaced. If your baby will be using their floor seat as a booster or high chair, look for a seat with a dishwasher-safe tray.
Baby floor seats come in all different sizes. Some are small and used only for sitting, while others include accessories that convert them to a booster, full high chair, and more. Although multi-use seats may be larger than basic seats, they may also save on storage space as you won’t have to purchase and store a separate booster or high chair.
Do you have limited living or storage space, or do you plan on traveling often with your baby floor seat? Then you may wish to look for a design that collapses flat and includes a handle for easy carrying.
Look for trays that can be stored together with the seat so they take up less space and don’t get lost.
There are many features to consider when shopping for a baby floor seat. If you plan on using the seat only for sitting practice, there are basic options without accessories available. Some seats include attached toys, activity trays, mobile-style toy bars, lights, sounds, and more.
A snack tray can be useful. Some seats also include a cup holder for convenience.
Many baby floor seats are designed to grow with your baby. If you choose a seat that can double as a booster seat, you can save on having to purchase another baby item down the road.
Some floor seats come with additional padding to use when babies are smaller and require a little extra support.
With baby floor seats ranging from $30–150, there is one for every budget. When shopping, consider whether the seat is multi-functional (such as one that includes a booster or high chair) and may save you money down the road.
The Best Baby Floor Seats of 2022
These are our top ten choices for the best baby floor seats for happy sitters.
1. Upseat Baby Floor and Booster Seat with Tray
Best Baby Floor Seat for Posture
Physical therapists often discourage the use of baby floor seats because they may contribute to poor posture in infants. However, the Upseat’s ergonomic design was developed with the help of physical therapists to engage the muscles that support babies’ hips and encourage proper upright posture.
The easy-to-clean foam is squishy and comfortable for babies. The spacious tray allows for lots of room when feeding, preventing messes and spills. The leg grooves provide ample space for even the chunkiest baby thighs to wiggle and move.
- Recommended by physical therapists to encourage good posture.
- Durable; backed by a lifetime return or replace policy.
- Lightweight and easy to carry with a built-in handle.
- More costly than other foam baby seats.
|Dimensions||15 x 16 x 10 inches|
|Weight limit||30 pounds|
|Age range||Three months to two years|
|Color options||Grey, Blue, Pink|
2. Graco Floor2Table 7-in-1 Seat
Best Versatile Baby Floor Seat
This innovative 7-in-1 floor seat grows with your baby like no other seat. It starts out as a baby floor seat with a tray for snacks, meals, and play. It then converts to a booster seat that can be strapped to a regular chair. It also converts to a full-sized high chair with wheeled front legs.
As your child becomes old enough to eat without a tray, the seat can be used as a table booster. With the legs added, it functions as a youth-sized bar stool. If the tray is combined with the legs from the high chair, it makes the perfect child-sized table and chair.
The pieces of this set can be used to create seating space for two children at the same time. With the baby in the floor seat or booster seat with the tray, the remaining pieces can be configured as a backless stool for an older child or a table with a chair. So, both children can play or eat at the same time.
- Converts from floor seat to booster to high chair, kids’ table, and more.
- Cushioned seat has 3 recline positions.
- Can be configured for two children to use at once, with trays for each.
- One of the more expensive options.
- More pieces mean more storage space is required.
|Dimensions||28.5 x 22.7 x 42.25 inches|
|Weight limit||Up to 60 pounds, depending on configuration|
|Age range||Up to six years, depending on configuration|
|Color options||Atwood, Oskar|
3. Hiccapop Omniboost Travel Seat With Tray
Best Travel Baby Floor Seat
The Hiccapop Omniboost Travel Seat is a unique floor seat. It’s perfect for use at home, at the beach, or anywhere you travel with your little one.
With its spacious pop-off, non-staining swivel feeding tray, it can be used for meals, snacks, and playtime. The BPA-free tray can be released with one or two hands and tossed in the dishwasher for easy clean-up.
The fabric is easy to remove, launder, and replace. The seat comes with wide “duck feet” that attach to the ends of the chair legs to keep it from slipping or tipping.
This seat also uses a 3-point adjustable safety harness that can be released easily with one hand.
- Lightweight, foldable design, great for travel.
- Can be strapped to a chair to double as a booster seat.
- Stable, with non-slip duck feet to prevent slipping or tipping.
- Durable Hiccapop product with lifetime warranty.
- Feeding tray sometimes jams, hard to remove from seat.
|Dimensions||15.59 x 7.01 x 7.01 inches|
|Weight limit||45 pounds|
|Age range||Six months to three years|
|Color options||Slate Grey, Midnight Blue|
4. Fisher-Price Sit-Me-Up Floor Seat With Tray
Cutest Baby Floor Seat
This Sit-Me-Up baby floor seat with snack tray comes in the most adorable fabric options. With the choice between a penguin, crab, lion, or “happy hills” print, your baby will be sitting in style.
This cute seat also fosters sensory skills. Depending on which model you choose, the Sit-Me-Up comes with a removable activity toy bar, crinkle fabric, kick ‘n squeak feet, or teething toys to keep baby entertained.
The dishwasher-safe snack tray clicks on and off easily. However, it stays attached when the seat is folded flat for storage.
- Comes in several cute cushioned fabric options.
- Supports learning with a variety of sensory toys.
- Dishwasher-safe tray is BPA-free.
- Larger babies (16+ pounds) can get stuck in the seat.
- After assembling, it can’t be disassembled.
|Dimensions||10.43 x 8.27 x 12.01 inches|
|Maximum weight||25 pounds|
|Age range||No specific age, but must be able to hold head up and must not be able to climb out|
|Color options||Penguin, crab, lion, happy hills print|
5. Infantino Prop-a-Pillar Tummy Time & Floor Seat
Most Comfortable Baby Floor Seat
If you want a baby floor seat that can be used for both tummy time and upright time, check out the unique Prop-a-Pillar by Infantino. This adorable support pillow encourages the development of neck and back muscles. It allows for more freedom of movement than most baby floor seats.
The colorful seat unfurls to provide cushioned support under babies as they stretch out on their bellies. With the squishy caterpillar supporting their upper body, they can better hold themselves upwards as they explore their environment. The bright colors are appealing and keep them entertained during their daily tummy time workout.
When the cushions are stacked, they provide seated support. Babies will gain better muscle control without having anything in front of them to lean on. And if they lose their balance, their soft caterpillar friend is available to catch them.
- Multi-use seat for both sitting and tummy time.
- Bright design and attached toys keep babies’ attention.
- Entire seat can be thrown in the washer for easy laundering.
- Doesn’t prevent baby from tipping over.
|Dimensions||18 x 6 x 12 inches|
|Age range||Newborn until able to sit independently|
|Color options||Caterpillar or Toucan|
6. Fisher-Price Sit-Me-Up Floor Seat
Best Sturdy Baby Floor Seat
If you’re looking for a baby floor seat that’s sturdy and safe for your child, the Sit-Me-Up is a great choice. Its wide, supportive base prevents tipping. The soft, cushioned seat supports babies as they play with the brightly colored removable teething rings.
The seat collapses with the press of a button on each side and lays flat for easy storage and portability.
Fisher-Price recommends that this seat only be used for babies with good head control.
- Folds up flat for storage and travel.
- Opens easily — only one hand required.
- Fabric seat pad is easy to remove for laundering.
- Comes in a variety of gender-neutral patterns.
- Hard to remove chubby babies because of the narrow leg holes.
- Basic model doesn’t include a tray for holding toys or snacks.
|Dimensions||8.27 x 10.43 x 12 inches|
|Weight limit||25 pounds|
|Age range||No specific age, but must be able to hold head up and must not be able to climb out|
|Color options||Grey Geo, Blue Geo, Frog, Windmill|
7. Ingenuity Baby Base 2-in-1 Floor Seat
Best Affordable Baby Floor Seat
This simple seat is both flexible and affordable. We especially like that it grows with your child, allowing for a longer usage than many other floor seats. It functions as a floor seat for younger babies, a booster seat with a tray for older babies, and a table booster for toddlers.
Both the seat and tray wipe down easily, making it convenient for meals at home or on the go. The tray is dishwasher-safe and stores neatly inside the seat when it’s not in use.
- All surfaces are easy to hand wash.
- Multipurpose design is great for both playing and feeding.
- Includes storage space for the safety straps and feeding tray.
- Many people complained that the product arrived without the backrest.
- Straps are fairly short and may not work for a larger child.
|Dimensions||17.25 x 15.25 x 11.75 inches|
|Weight limit||50 pounds|
|Age range||Six months to four years|
|Color options||Slate, cashmere, peacock blue, pink flambé, poppy red|
8. Bumbo Baby Floor Seat
Best Easy-to-Clean Baby Floor Seat
The much-loved Bumbo seat was the baby floor seat that started it all. This basic foam seat has been helping curious babies sit upright for more than two decades. The deep seating surface, wide base, and three-point harness safely keep babies from falling out.
With its one-piece design, the Bumbo can be wiped clean using a damp cloth and gentle detergent. We love that there are no cracks or crevices for messes to get trapped in.
Additional accessories can be purchased, such as a feeding tray, toy bar, table-top toy tray, or suction toys. Choose from eight fun colors to match your style.
- One-piece design is easy to wipe clean.
- Safe and sturdy design keeps babies from falling out.
- All-foam seat is soft and comfortable.
- Safety straps often get trapped under baby.
|Dimensions||14.96 x 14.96 x 9.25 inches|
|Weight limit||No specific limit, but chubby legs don’t fit well|
|Age range||3 to 12 months|
|Color options||Grape, mimosa, coral, powder blue, cradle pink, hemlock, cool grey, slate grey|
9. Infantino Music & Lights 3-in-1 Discovery Seat
Best Musical Baby Floor Seat
This entertaining floor seat is sure to be a hit with your baby. With a light-up piano that plays 20 songs and sounds and includes six engaging activities, this seat will provide hours of fun. The activities are designed to support sensory and fine motor skill development.
The Infantino Discovery Seat includes a handy snack tray and doubles as a booster seat for mealtime. The comfortable seat cushion is fitted with safety straps to keep little ones secure as they snack or play.
- Stimulating musical activities keep baby entertained.
- Lots of room for chubby legs.
- Snack tray cup holder helps prevent spills.
- Some of the “music” sounds are more annoying than musical.
- Tray can pinch babies’ legs when clicking into place.
|Dimensions||17 x 9.38 x 17 inches|
|Weight limit||33 pounds|
|Age range||Four months to four years|
|Color options||Blue, lavender|
10. Summer 3-Stage Deluxe Super Seat
Most Entertaining Baby Floor Seat
This baby floor seat screams fun, fun, fun! With its mobile-style toy bar and 360-degree rotating activity tray, your baby will remain stimulated and engaged while they work on their new sitting skills.
This “Super Seat” is not just fun, it’s functional too. With its soft foam insert, this chair becomes a support positioner for younger babies just learning to sit upright. Add the toy bar and tray to convert it to an activity center. Remove the toy bar and the seat can be used as a table booster seat for meals.
The detachable snack tray includes two cup holders.
- Stimulating activity tray with bright-colored toys.
- Two cup holders provide a spill-safe space.
- Foam attachment makes seat very soft and comfortable.
- Activity tray feels flimsy and bends with minimal pressure.
- Tray is both difficult to attach and remove as it jams very easily.
|Dimensions||21 x 22.25 x 22 inches|
|Weight limit||33 pounds|
|Age range||Four months to four years|
|Color options||Wild safari, island pink|
|Product||Best||Dimensions||Weight limit||Age range||Color options|
|Upseat Baby Floor and Booster Seat with Tray||Best for Posture||15 x 16 x 10″||30 lbs||3 months – 2 years||Grey, Blue, Pink|
|Graco Floor2Table 7-in-1 Seat||Best Versatile Floor Seat||28.5 x 22.7 x 42.25″||Up – 60 lbs, depending on configuration||Up – 6 years, depending on configuration||Atwood, Oskar|
|Hiccapop Omniboost Travel Seat With Tray||Best Travel Baby Floor Seat||15.59 x 7.01 x 7.01″||45 lbs||6 months – 3 years||Slate Grey, Midnight Blue|
|Fisher-Price Sit-Me-Up Floor Seat With Tray||Cutest Baby Floor Seat||10.43 x 8.27 x 12.01″||25 lbs||No specific age, but must be able to hold head up||Penguin, crab, lion, happy hills print|
|Infantino Prop-a-Pillar Tummy Time & Floor Seat||Most Comfortable||18 x 6 x 12″||Unlimited||Newborn until able to sit independently||Caterpillar or Toucan|
|Fisher-Price Sit-Me-Up Floor Seat||Best Sturdy Baby Floor Seat||8.27 x 10.43 x 12″||25 lbs||No specific age||Grey Geo, Blue Geo, Frog, Windmill|
|Ingenuity Baby Base 2-in-1 Floor Seat||Best Affordable||17.25 x 15.25 x 11.75″||50 lbs||6 months – 4 years||Slate, cashmere, peacock blue, pink flambé, poppy red|
|Bumbo Baby Floor Seat||Best Easy-to-Clean||14.96 x 14.96 x 9.25″||No specific limit, but chubby legs don’t fit well||3 – 12 months||Grape, mimosa, coral, powder blue, cradle pink, hemlock, cool grey, slate grey|
|Infantino Music & Lights 3-in-1 Discovery Seat||Best Musical Floor Seat||17 x 9.38 x 17″||33 lbs||4 months – 4 years||Blue, lavender|
|Summer 3-Stage Deluxe Super Seat||Most Entertaining||21 x 22.25 x 22″||33 lbs||4 months – 4 years||Wild safari, island pink|
Other Tips for Helping Baby Sit Up
Although baby floor seats can help babies develop their sitting muscles, they are not meant to be your child’s only sitting practice. Here are some tips for helping your baby learn to sit.
- Offer tummy time: The more tummy time your baby has, the more they will learn to control their head and neck. This is the first step necessary for learning to sit (1).
- Do baby sit-ups: To develop sitting muscles, once your baby is around six weeks old, try these sit-ups. When your baby is lying on their back, gently grasp their forearms and pull slowly to raise them to a sitting position. Allow them to do as much of the lifting as possible, and be careful not to pull too hard and risk hurting their joints (2).
- Raise baby’s point of view: Your baby will be more motivated to sit if they have something to look at. During tummy time, offer toys that encourage them to lift their gaze higher, such as the Baby Einstein Glow & Discover Light Bar.
- Sit with your baby: When holding your baby, sit them upright and facing outward with their back against you. Allow them to support themselves in this position as much as possible.
- Provide cushioned support: When your baby is able to hold themselves upright a little, prop them up on some cushions or a nursing pillow. Sit in front of them so you are available if they begin to tip (3).
- Use sit-up toys: Use toys that encourage babies to sit tall when playing, such as the Vtech Busy Learner’s Activity Cube.
- Do the laundry baby prop: Set a laundry basket or small bin in a space where it won’t easily tip over. Seat your baby with their back against the shorter side of the basket for support. Add a few toys to the basket to keep them entertained as they develop their balance.
Frequently Asked Questions
These are some of the most-asked questions about baby floor seats.
Are Sit-Me-Up Chairs Good for Babies?
There’s plenty of debate about whether floor seats are good for babies’ development. Physical therapists often recommend they be avoided. This is because many of these seats are not designed to properly support the baby’s pelvis, spine, hips, and head. They also prevent babies from being able to actively move their bodies and explore (4).
If you choose to use a baby floor seat, look for a seat specifically designed to encourage an upright posture. Limit the time your baby spends in the seat to a few minutes at a time. Save it to use only when you can’t hold your baby and it’s not practical to set them on the floor.
It’s also best if you wait until your child is able to support themselves in a seated position before introducing a baby floor seat, rather than using it with the intent to teach them to sit (5).
What Helps a Baby Learn to Sit Up?
Babies need to have properly developed back and neck muscles before they can sit. Give your baby lots of tummy time to help these muscles along. Hold them in an upright position as much as possible as this allows them freedom of movement with the ability to still lean in for a rest.
Sit on the floor and hold your baby between your legs. Prop your baby in the corner of a couch or chair (keeping a hand on them in case they take a sudden dive).
As your baby’s muscles grow and they can hold themselves upright, sit them on the floor with a U-shaped nursing cushion behind them. This will provide support and a soft landing if they fall backward (6).
Once your baby is strong enough to sit well on their own, you can begin using a baby floor seat for playtime, snack time, and any time you need them to be safely contained for a few minutes.
At What Age Can You Sit a Baby Up?
As soon as your baby can hold their head up without support (usually around three or four months), you can start sitting them up in a supported position such as with their back against your body. Most babies like this as it gives them a clearer perspective of their environment.
The more often you do this, the sooner their muscles will develop. When your baby is around six months, they will likely start to sit more independently. If they haven’t started sitting on their own by eight months, you may want to mention it to their pediatrician (7).
The Bottom Line
Baby floor seats are useful tools for supporting babies in their quest to sit upright, but they shouldn’t be the only tools you use.
Find a seat that is sturdy and comfortable. Decide whether you want a simple floor seat design or a more complex seat that includes additional accessories or converts to a booster or high chair.
Most importantly, keep your baby’s time in the floor seat to a minimum. That way, they can have more opportunities to explore their world without confines.