Slip and slides are a fabulous way to provide your kids with lots of fresh air, physical activity, and fun during the hot summer months.
But not all slip ‘n slides are created equal. While slip and slides for kids are inherently the same, there are differences that make some more suitable than others for certain age ranges, outdoor spaces, and abilities.
So, take a look through our parent-approved list of the best slip and slides for kids of all ages, and choose which one will be most suitable for a summer of fun in your home.
- Wide length and breadth
- Quick and easy set up
- Comes with accessories
- Inflatable edges
- Sloped design
- Hose hook-up
- 16ft slip and slide
- Easy to set up
- Well-known brand
- Inflatable side strips
- Comes with inflatable sleds
- Easy to set up
- With splash pool
- Sprinkle system
- Large slide
- Includes sprinklers
- Inflatable bumpers
- Good value
- No-fuss design
- Large surface area
- Rated up to 256 lb/ft2
- Good size
- The arch sprays water
- Good with/without inflatable sleds
- Comes with bowling pins
- Includes a connection system
- Zig-zag water spray system
- Hose attachment
- Safe for the small kids
- Folds flat for storage
Are Slip and Slides Dangerous?
Safety is a common, and understandable, concern for parents when it comes to slip and slides.
Yes, it’s possible a child could fall and hurt themselves. But if you are using one that’s suitable for your child’s age and following the manufacturer’s instructions, there is no reason why it should be dangerous.
Keep Safety In Mind
Supervise your children on a slip and slide in the same way you would any other rough and tumble activity. And, to make the experience more enjoyable for everyone, do a check of the ground before you set up your slip and slide. You should remove any rocks that would hurt your child before you set it up.
To ensure you and your children enjoy a slip ‘n slide in safety, remember:
- Choose one that is rated for your child’s age.
- Always place it in an area that has plenty of space around it. This will minimize the chance of accidents caused by a little one coming off of the end of the slip ‘n slide.
- Do not add substances to your slip and slide to make it more slippery.
Which brings me to the next point.
What Can You Put On A Slip and Slide To Make It Slippery?
The best, and safest, option for making the surface slippery is water. Not only is water freely available, clean, and non-toxic, it will not make the slip ‘n slide too slippery.
Some users swear by adding a small amount of dish soap to their slip and slide. They claim it helps you gain more speed than you might without dish soap.
And that’s the problem. Dish soap can turn a fun afternoon on a slip ‘n slide into a not-so-fun afternoon in the emergency room.
When lubricated with dish soap, it can become dangerous, especially for younger children, so stick to water and the manufacturer’s instructions for making your slip ‘n slide slippery.
How to Choose the Best Slip and Slide for Kids
The best kids’ slip and slides are the ones meant for your child’s age range. Those labels take all the guesswork out of it for you. They show the age group that product is meant for (2).
Then, consider the material from which the slide is made. If you’re looking for a slide only meant to last one summer, this may not be an issue. But if you are splashing out (pun intended!) for a more expensive model, check to ensure it will stand up to multiple summers of use.
Next, you need to think about how much space you have for your slip and slide. You need to consider not only the footprint necessary but the room needed for run-up and the space around it for play.
Then you should think about whether you want to be able to hook the slip ‘n slide up to a water source or whether you are happy to be aiming your hose or throwing on buckets of water.
Finally, consider your budget and how to get the best bang for your buck. Are you better off with a giant but basic one, or would you rather invest in a smaller model that has accessories?
Taking all of these things into consideration, here is our list of the ten best slip and slides for kids of all ages.
The Best Kids Slip and Slides of 2021
Here are our top slip and slide picks for kids:
1. Team Magnus Slip and Slide XL
This PVC slip ‘n slide is designed to last year after year.
Multiple staking loops allow you to keep the slip ‘n slide securely affixed to the lawn, and an inflatable crash cushion prevents the kids from flying off of the end.
- Water pours from a central channel, providing maximum coverage for the length and breadth of the slip and slide.
- Quick and easy to set up, and can be used without inflating the end crash cushion.
- Comes with stakes, hose adapters, pump, and 6 feet of repair tape.
- According to some reviews, the inflatable crash cushion can pull away from the slip ‘n slide once older children have slid into it a number of times.
|Size||374 x 63 x 5.9 inches|
|Additional items included||Stakes, pump, repair kit, hose adapters.|
|Recommended age range||5 – 12 years|
2. Intex Surf ’N Slide Inflatable Play Center
A gentle slope can add an extra dimension of fun to a slip ‘n slide.
If you don’t have a natural slope in your yard, the Intex play center could be the right fit for you.
One end has two inflatable steps with sturdy grab handles built-in for safety. Once at the top of the slope, your kids can throw themselves down the slide on one of the inflatable boogie boards included in the pack.
- Inflatable edges create a safety barrier around the outer edge of the slip ‘n slide.
- Sloped design allows for more speed.
- Hose hook-up allows water to pour from the top of the slope.
- Elevated surface protects young kids from rocks and other hard areas underneath.
- Requires a motorized pump to inflate.
|Size||15’1”L x 5’6”W x 5’2”H|
|Additional items included||2 x surf riders with heavy-duty handles|
|Recommended age range||6 years and older, and 176-pound max weight limit|
3. Wham-O Slip 'N Slide Surf Rider
Basic but brilliant, is the best way to describe the Wham-O water slide.
The brand is known for its classic but well-made toys.
Unroll it, wet it, and enjoy the slippery fun without any other hassle.
- 16ft dual lane slide.
- Easy to set up.
- Well-known brand.
- Some consumers complain that the material was quick to rip.
|Size||14.8′ x 1.9′ x 12.7′|
|Additional items included||2 anchors and repair patches|
|Recommended age range||5 years+|
4. Wow World of Watersports Super Slide
The Wow World of Watersports super slide is made of extra thick PVC.
This makes it a good choice if you’re looking for a product that will last for multiple summers.
Off-set sprinklers ensure all areas of the slide receive a consistent flow of water, preventing dry spots and unwanted “brake areas.” Meanwhile, special fixings at each end of the slide allow you to connect multiple super slides and create your own mega-slide.
- Inflatable side strips keep the kids and the water on the slip and slide.
- Comes with two inflatable water sleds.
- Easy to set up, take down, and store.
- A few reviewers say the inflatable sleds did not stand up to heavy use.
|Size||25’ x 6’|
|Additional items included||2 inflatable water sleds and an air pump|
|Recommended age range||5 years+|
5. BigMouth Inc. Rainbow Stripe Slip n Slide
For kids who don’t want to spend hours at a time on the slip and slide, the BigMouth Inc. rainbow stripe slide ends in a shallow splash pool in which the kiddos can hang out.
This cute big mouth of the monster will not frighten your kids to go splashing in the water.
- Splash pool provides another form of play.
- Sprinkle system keeps the slip ‘n slide well covered.
- Large enough for two children to race each other.
- Have to keep it hooked up to the hose to maintain water in the splash pool.
|Size||40’ x 8’|
|Additional items included||Anchor kit, two inflatable water tubes|
|Recommended age range||5 – 14 years|
6. Banzai Triple Racer
This three-lane slip and slide for kids include three inflatable water sleds for additional fun.
Now all your kids and their friends can now enjoy the water all at the same time.
- Sprinklers all around it provide constant water.
- Inflatable bumpers keep the kiddos and the water on the slide.
- Good value.
- A few reviewers expressed disappointment that, in real life, the sprinklers were not as impressive as they were on the packaging and product listing.
|Size||16’ x 6’|
|Additional items included||3 inflatable water sleds|
|Recommended age range||5 – 12 years|
7. Wahii Waterslide 50' x 12'
This simple yet fun slip ‘n slide for kids is a great pick for those with a little more room in their yards.
Wahii uses material that is not only super tough and ultra-slick but is also UV-protected.
With this huge water slide, you can transform your yard into a waterpark with ease.
- No-fuss design is simple to use, put away, and store.
- Large surface area makes this good for bigger families or multiple children.
- Rated up to 256 pounds per square foot.
- Cannot be connected up to a hose for constant water flow
|Size||50’ x 12’|
|Material||A specially formulated, UV protected plastic|
|Additional items included||None|
|Recommended age range||5 years+|
8. Icebreaker Water Slide
This product fills the gap between huge slip ‘n slides for older kids, and the tiny toddler versions available.
Moreover, it can be attached to any garden hose for an easy to set up exciting activity at home.
This set also includes a repair patch.
- A good size for those who have grown out of the toddler phase.
- The arch sprays water onto the kids as they pass under it.
- It can be used with or without inflatable water sleds.
- If you don’t inflate it well enough, the water spray arch will fall over.
|Size||16’ x 2’|
|Additional items included||1 inflatable water sled|
|Recommended age range||4 – 8 years|
9. Wow World of Watersports Strike Zone
Sometimes you need more than just the fun of throwing yourself down a slippy strip, and the Wow World of Watersports Strike Zone gives you just that.
The addition of a set of giant inflatable bowling pins gives you the option of a straightforward slip ‘n slide experience or a game of slippery bowling, using yourself as the ball.
- Bowling pins give an extra dimension of fun if sliding alone gets a little old.
- A connection system allows you to hook as many of these Wow World slip ‘n slides together as you like.
- Zig-zag water spray system provides consistent water flow.
- Some reviews complain that it was hard work to inflate with a hand pump.
|Size||6 x 25 feet|
|Material||Double thickness PVC|
|Additional items included||12 Inflatable bowling pins – 2 feet x 10”|
|Recommended age range||5 years +|
10. Little Tikes Wet & Dry First Slide
The Little Tikes Wet & Dry First Slide combines a familiar Little Tikes toddler-style slide with a 10-foot vinyl slipmat.
However, the slide in this set is slightly different as it has fixings with which you attach the slipmat.
This prevents the slide and mat from separating during play.
- Hose attachment point allows for a constant flow of water.
- Safe for the smallest of slip ‘n sliders.
- The slide can be used separately and folds flat for storage.
- The maximum weight limit is 60 pounds, so your child may outgrow this fairly quickly.
|Size||Mat – 23”L x 18”W Slide – 39” high x 38” long|
|Material||Plastic slide, vinyl mat|
|Additional items included||Slide|
|Recommended age range||24 months – 8 years|
|Team Magnus Slip & Slide||Heavy Duty||374 x 63 x 5.9″||0.22mm PVC||5 – 12 years|
|Intex Surf ’N Slide||Inflatable Play Center||15’1” x 5’6” x 5’2”||16ga vinyl||6 years & older|
|Wham-O Slip ‘N Slide Surf Rider||Double Lane Slip and Slide||14.8 x 1.9 x 12.7″||Plastic slide||5 years+|
|World of Watersports Super Slide||Inflatable Sides||25’ x 6’||PVC||5 years+|
|BigMouth Inc. Rainbow Stripe||Best With Splash Pool||40’ x 8’||PVC||5 – 14 years|
|Banzai Triple Racer||Three-Lane||16’ x 6’ 9”||PVC||5 – 12 years|
|Wahii Waterslide 50′ x 12′||50-Foot||50’ x 12’||UV protected plastic||5 years+|
|Icebreaker Water Slide||Water Spray Arch||16’ x 2’||PVC||4 – 8 years|
|World of Watersports Strike Zone||Slip & Slide/Game Combo||6′ x 25′||Double thickness PVC||5 years +|
|Little Tikes Wet & Dry||Toddlers||39′ x 38′||Plastic slide, vinyl mat||24 months – 8 years|
Which Slip ‘n Slide Will You Choose?
It can be surprising that there are so many options for something as seemingly simple as a slip ‘n slide. However, choosing the right one for your kids and your yard is just as important as choosing the right bike, or the right scooter.
Stick with age-appropriate, durable options that will fit in your space and fall in your price range. That way, you can’t go wrong.