- Meaning: Yuri is a name that means “farmer” in Russian culture. In Japan, it means “lily.”
- Gender: Yuri can be a boy or a girl’s name.
- Origin: The name Yuri has roots in both Russia and Japan.
- Pronunciation: “YOO-ree”
- Popularity: The name Yuri is very uncommon in the US.
- Nicknames: Ree, Ri, Yu, Yuyu.
- Variations: Iouri, Iurii, Iury, Joeri, Juraj, Jurgen, Juri, Uri, Yoo-ri, You-ri.
- Namesakes: Kwon Yu-ri, Yuri Amano, Yuri Gagarin, Yuri Nagai, and Yuri Shevchuk.
- What Does the Name Yuri Mean?
- What Is the Origin of the Name Yuri?
- How Popular Is the Name Yuri?
- How Do I Pronounce “Yuri?”
- Is Yuri a Boy or Girl Name?
- Variations of Yuri
- Nicknames of Yuri
- Similar Names to Yuri
- Middle Names for Yuri
- Sibling Names for Yuri
- Famous People Named Yuri
- Yuri in Popular Culture
- Yuri FAQs
What Does the Name Yuri Mean?
The name “Yuri” can have different meanings depending on the origin. In Japan, it can have several meanings such as “lily,” “reason and village,” “reason and logic,” and “friend and village” (1). In Russian and other Slavic cultures, the name Yuri means “farmer.”
So when naming a child Yuri, you should choose the Yuri name meaning that you feel suits them best. It may be a good idea to choose a meaning that reflects your child’s culture, too.
What Is the Origin of the Name Yuri?
The name Yuri has several origins, most commonly in Russia and Japan. However, it is not clear which culture used it first.
Depending on the origin you choose, the meaning and spelling of this name can vary. Variations of the name Yuri are also common in Korea, Greece, and many Slavic countries.
How Popular Is the Name Yuri?
As of now, Yuri is a very rare name in the United States. According to the SSI, it has not been in the top 1000 baby names since the year 2000 (2). So if you live in the US and want to name your baby Yuri, their name will stand out in a crowd.
However, the name Yuri is more popular in other countries. You will likely meet many people named Yuri in countries such as Russia, Japan, Greece, and Korea.
How Do I Pronounce “Yuri?”
Yuri is pronounced “YOO-ree,” with emphasis on the first syllable. Depending on the dialect, some people may also pronounce it as “YUR-ee.”
Is Yuri a Boy or Girl Name?
Yuri is a common name for men and women around the world. Depending on the location, it can have different gendered associations.
In Japan, Yuri can be a masculine or feminine name. In Korea, it is typically feminine. And in Slavic cultures or Greece, most would consider Yuri to be a boy’s name.
So regardless of your baby’s gender, Yuri could be a fitting name for them.
Variations of Yuri
Because it has so many origins, there are many different variations of the name Yuri. Some of these variations are merely different spellings, while others have different pronunciations as well.
Possible variations of the name Yuri include:
- Iouri (Slavic)
- Iurii (Slavic)
- Iury (Portuguese)
- Joeri (Dutch)
- Juraj (Croatian)
- Jurgen (German)
- Juri (Italian, German)
- Uri (Hebrew)
- Yoo-ri (Korean)
- You-ri (Korean)
- Yu-ri (Korean)
- Yurij (Slavic)
- Yuriy (Slavic)
- Yuriko (Japanese)
- Yury (Slavic)
- Yuuri (Japanese)
Nicknames of Yuri
Because Yuri is a short girl’s name, there are not many nickname variations. However, there are still a handful of options to use for a shortened title.
Here are some nicknames for people named Yuri:
Similar Names to Yuri
If you’re fond of the name Yuri but aren’t sure it’s the right fit, one of these similar names might work better for you. These alternatives either have similar pronunciations to the name Yuri or share the same meaning.
Here are some similar names to Yuri:
Middle Names for Yuri
When it comes to middle names for Yuri, you have a lot of options to choose from.
Here are some masculine middle names that pair well with the name Yuri:
And here are some feminine middle names that pair well with the name Yuri:
Sibling Names for Yuri
If you have a child named Yuri and plan to have more kids in the future, you may want to consider additional names for potential siblings. Names with similar origins or first initials can make great complementary choices.
Sibling names for a brother:
Siblings’ names for a sister:
Famous People Named Yuri
Throughout history, Yuri has been the title of several significant figures. Here are a few famous people named Yuri:
- Kwon Yu-ri: A Korean singer who is part of the music group “Girls’ Generation.”
- Yuri Amano: A Japanese voice actress famous for her role in the anime YuYu Hakusho.
- Yuri Gagarin: The first person to ever go to space.
- Yuri Nagai: A Japanese field hockey player who participated in the 2016 Summer Olympics.
- Yuri Shevchuk: A Russian singer and songwriter.
Yuri in Popular Culture
If you name your child Yuri, they will share their name with some rather popular fictional characters. Here are a few examples:
- Yuri: A character from the horror game “Doki Doki Literature Club.”
- Park Yu-ri: A character from the Korean horror series “Sweet Home.”
- Yuri Ashida: A character from the card game and anime series “Aikatsu Stars.”
- Yuri Katsuki: A character from the anime “Yuri on Ice.”
- Yuri Lowell: A character from the video game “Tales of Vesperia.”
Here are a few common questions people have about the name Yuri.